Defensive Carry banner

Got made at church

4K views 37 replies 32 participants last post by  PM 
#1 ·
I work behind the scenes during church service. I run the Powerpoint presentations that display the words to the worship songs.

I sit in a booth toward the back of the main sanctuary. Between services, I went over and talked to a guy I have seen and briefly talked to for over a year now. After a few pleasantries, he mentions that he saw my toy. I just got a new iPhone and have been showing it to everyone, so I naturally assumed it was my iPhone and started discussing it. After a second or so, he says, "well, I was actually referring to what looked like a Glock or XD". Oooops.

We then got into a discussion about calibers, different models of XDs, Glocks and that he also has his CHL.

At the end of conversation, I asked him how he saw it. He said that when I sat back in the chair, it lifted my shirt up quite a bit. I immediately pulled my shirt down, but it was obvious. Ugh. I better wear longer shirts when I work the media presentations from now on.

#2 ·
Rework the media presentation? Sounds like that guy enjoyed the 'presentation'.:yup:
Larger/longer shirts help.:hand10:

#4 ·
The fact that he has his CHL and obviously knows something about handguns is why you were made. I'd be willing to bet you a box of ammo that the "sheep" among you would have never noticed a thing.

I often find myself assessing other people looking for tell-tale signs of who else might be carrying; something that I never did before I started packing.

#16 ·
This is probably the most likely reason.

Still, you want to be as discreet as possible and it's good he was able to point out how you blew your cover. That's a good thing. Now you can make the appropriate adjustments to your cover garments.

#5 · (Edited)
brushed and close contact are very common. very hard place to keep it quiet.

#6 ·
Church is where I'm scared the most about getting "made" while carrying.

Like the OP, I am involved with the sound system and video presentations. I am very wary of bending over if I have to fix something on the stage.

We have just over 200 members with a lot of "huggers". I am also involved with the AWANA program and the Jr./Sr. High Youth Group, so I always have kids from 2nd grade to High School and even some College age hugging and hanging on me all the time. My boys know to stand on the right side of me to protect me from a hug on that side at least. :wink:

It's been 3 months with now problems so far.

#8 ·
Been busted at church by the huggers more than a few times until I switched to a SmartCarry when there. :embarassed:

#10 ·
I appreciate my members who carry and watch out for the flock. I like to give permission and have an idea about who is carrying. I make it very clear that I don't want people alarmed by seeing guns in church.

When I am armed, I keep mine towards 5 or 6 o'clock. No one has touched me there yet. I always hope that if they do, they will just think it is the wireless microphone. When I am not armed, I am covered, if you know what I mean;)

#20 ·
at our church...... we still sing some of the old hymns
but we put them on the over head.
working in the media .... we use easy worship which our songs, and hymns show on.. up on the screen.
we have live camera, and there are some things we still use power point. pre service announcements, and sermon illustrations.

#14 ·
Depends on the church. Ours is pretty traditional and we use hymnals. Other more demonstrative churches often like the words displayed on a blank wall up front, allowing the worshippers to raise their hands as they sing (which is entirely appropriate and biblical, though it seems a bit odd if you're not used to it).

We would have done that in a lot of churches I attended years ago, but for the fact that technology back then was 'get it typeset then shoot a 35mm slide of it' rather than powerpoint and a screen projector. Lots easier now...

#22 ·
I'm constantly wondering if I'll ever get made at church. We sit up near the front since my Wife does sign language interpreting from time to time for the Deaf in our 2nd service, so my back is to at least a couple hundred people, and I carry at 4 O'clock.

#23 ·
solution to cover garment riding up.

I have seen this mentioned many times before and always worry about when I have to reach overhead or bend over.

I have found that the IWB tuckable Split Decision from High Noon I wear conceals very well even if only wearing a tee shirt tucked.

Several weeks ago I was wearing it tucked with a dress shirt and had to actually kneel down, and then bend down even lower to look at something, while three other people were around and behind me waiting for me to make a decision on something we were working on. Basically, I am kneeling, and bent over so my head is only 15 inches from the floor. The others are behind me and or to my right, (strong side). I'm thinking, "Great I am going to get made for sure!"

As far as I know no one noticed a thing. The dress shirt was slightly bloused and apparently the bending at the waist didn't draw it tight enough to print.

So my solution to the problem of cover garments riding up is to go tucked all the time. I've used the same setup with a Tee at my dog's obiedience classes, while bending over to reward the dog, or kneeling down to force a proper Down command, without being made.

#31 ·
. Basically, I am kneeling, and bent over so my head is only 15 inches from the floor. The others are behind me and or to my right, (strong side). I'm thinking, "Great I am going to get made for sure!"
You may not get made, but at my old church, you may have been violated. :rofl:

#24 ·
I’m more careful in church than most other venues although there are so many LEO’s in my congregation that it’s unlikely anyone would really care.
Regards, :tired:

#26 ·
Lots of people in my church have their CCL and lots of people know I carry. I teach high school age kids but am also the jr church leader so all the kids hug me. I'v never had one to even mention my IWB lump on my side. Of course some of the kids also know I carry a gun. It's just not a big deal around our area. I do watch people and pick up on concealed carry a lot but if I was not also wearing one I wouldn't be able to pick those people out of a crowd at all.

I'v never heard anyone from our church say anything that ould make me think we have any anti gun people in our church. They are conservative in politics, believe in the constitution and love the Lord. I'm sure that "most" of the ones do not know I am carrying but since we have talked about CCL classes and a lot of us took the class at the same time it's just something that is accepted just as anything else we have in common.

I know if we are out on a retreat or meeting to do things together that on several occasions I have been asked if we have our "security" going with us.

And we do still sing out of hymn books and are just now using power point for words for our praise and worship songs we sing on Sunday night.

#30 ·
Carried for the first time in church this week. I just got my CCP last week. Got home and my wife asked me when I was going to start carrying in church. I smiled and told her this morning. The shocked look was priceless when she realized she completely missed my putting it on, taking it off, or carrying. We have some huggers so I may get made, but the people who would hug me know me. It should be easy to explain. Plus our lead pastor put out the word that they would like all the LEO's in the congregation to carry. So I'm not too worried. To be honest, carrying in church took a lot of soul searching for me. Could not live with myself if I had the ability to help, but was not prepared. That and a few of the verses I found sealed the deal.

Xader, we have a Sat evening service. You'd be surprised what churches are doing these days. I bet you could find one that had a schedule you would like. We are a pretty big church and have 5 services at our main church.

#32 ·
Most times in church I carry my PF-9 in a pocket holster. Now that I have my M&P40c with Supertuck, and some long tailed print shirts, I'll be carrying that more often, especially as we get into fall.

#35 ·
I carry either my combat comander or my 5906 S&W in a crossbreed supertuck with a long shirt untucked and my pf-9 in a desantis pocket holster at church. I sing in the praise team and choir at first service and run sound at second service as far as I know I have never been made in church. Someone has to be there to protect the sheep.

#37 ·
I wouldn't sweat it too much. If he saw it's most likely because he carries. I carry in church and seldom get noticed. These should be people you know...I mean, it's your church family right? If you get made, no big deal.

Good on your for being a sheepdog not a sheep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.