Dedicated Car Gun (PA)

This is a discussion on Dedicated Car Gun (PA) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd like to get some feedback to the feasibilty and legality of having a dedicated gun that remains in the car. I have a Makarov ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated Car Gun (PA)

Dedicated Car Gun (PA)

I'd like to get some feedback to the feasibilty and legality of having a dedicated gun that remains in the car. I have a Makarov that would be a good car gun and am thinking of fixing up a holster in my center console of my Focus for this purpose. I'm thinking also of mounting a lock box in the trunk for when I have to leave the car for service while I wait.

What are the legal issues with this as far as Pennsylvania? There are very few places where we CANT have a gun here in PA, and I understand there are separate employer issues to think about, but I'm really thinking about it as I have decided that pocket carry (LCP) is going to be my standard carry method, but it's virtually impossible to get to it while seated in the car.

Any feedback to wether this is or is not a good idea would be appreciated.

I will definitely have to remember to remove it when traveling to the DPRNJ; The Democratic Peoples Republik of New Jersey, as this could end rather badly for me there!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

2. Remove Ads

Maybe you can use a holster like this?

Pro-Tech Seat Buddy

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    If you have a permit, why not take the gun with you when you leave it for servicing? Also, a lock box under the seat would be less conspicuous than in the trunk and easier to transfer the gun to.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I am not sure of the law in PA, but I'll offer this, a dedicated car gun is just about as secure as other forms of off-body carry, and I won't use either of them.
    If I do have to leave my carry gun in the vehicle, it is for the shortest amount of time possible and in a car safe under my seat.
    I don't leave valuables in any of my vehicles when I am not in the vehicle, and to me a gun is one of the most valuable tools I own. Leaving one in a vehicle just isn't secure enough for me, I've had a car stolen once and fortunately my gun wasn't in it.
    I am very possesive of my "children" and I don't like leaving them anywhere I am not. I know if one were stolen, and I reported it, I would still feel responsibile for anything done with it, just because I left it where it was accessible to someone else.
    Just my .02, but something to think about.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    If you have a permit, why not take the gun with you when you leave it for servicing? Also, a lock box under the seat would be less conspicuous than in the trunk and easier to transfer the gun to.
    I always do the "wait at the dealership" for car service. The lockbox would be to keep people who have no business with it from accessing it, and I'd remove the gun if I ever had to leave it overnight or something like that. My concern is if the car is broken into or stolen , what is my liability if a bad guy gets the gun and it's used in a robbery or murder?
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    I am not sure of the law in PA, but I'll offer this, a dedicated car gun is just about as secure as other forms of off-body carry, and I won't use either of them.
    If I do have to leave my carry gun in the vehicle, it is for the shortest amount of time possible and in a car safe under my seat.
    I don't leave valuables in any of my vehicles when I am not in the vehicle, and to me a gun is one of the most valuable tools I own. Leaving one in a vehicle just isn't secure enough for me, I've had a car stolen once and fortunately my gun wasn't in it.
    I am very possesive of my "children" and I don't like leaving them anywhere I am not. I know if one were stolen, and I reported it, I would still feel responsibile for anything done with it, just because I left it where it was accessible to someone else.
    Just my .02, but something to think about.
    Ditto.

I know some people in some situations can do this, but I just can't. If I'm armed, it's attached to me and goes where I go.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

EdC
    I would never have a "dedicated" car gun. Just wouldn't fit my circumstances, as it would be just another thing to "manage". Gun is on me or locked in a COM safe when I can't take it with me, and when I'm home, no guns left in the car.

I had a glock stolen out of my car. I don't recommend leaving your firearm in a car for any reason. Just too soft of a target.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I know some people in some situations can do this, but I just can't. If I'm armed, it's attached to me and goes where I go.
    I agree. While my truck is certainly a potential "trouble spot", I won't stash a CCW there & hope I'm nearby to access it. Even just around the house, I avoid a lot of negative scenerios simply by having my (first-line) HD weapon on my person. No unauthorized access (kids), no racing the BG to the "secret drawer", no fumbling for mags while looking & listening for the BG in another room. Carry your Makarov on you! Lock it up in the car only if your visiting a legally-prohibited "Gun-Free" zone. Question - Why would waiting at a Car Dealership be reason NOT to carry concealed?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I had a glock stolen out of my car. I don't recommend leaving your firearm in a car for any reason. Just too soft of a target.
    Thank you, Varob. There is NO way to securely store a firearm in a motor vehicle. Any car can be prowled and any car can be stolen. Don't be fooled by the fact that "noting valuable" is visible from outside. Most crack-head car prowlers that I've dealt with are only interested in getting inside and looking around. When you add a firearm into the mix, you now have an armed car prowler or thief. Once the car, or storage box is removed from the scene, it can be opened at the thief's leisure, by the simple application of physics.

Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

To store my guns in the car, I have a small safe by Sentry bolted to my car in the trunk. Of course if someone has plenty of time, they can bust into the keyed safe but for a smash and grab, no way, it's double bolted through the structural frame, it isn't going anywhere. But I use it to keep a couple extra guns I'll bring with me on a road trip or store all of my guns while I travel through non-reciprocity states. Right now I'm at work and I have a gun in the safe and I know it's secured.

VIP Member
    Also remember, if you allow someone else to drive your vehicle, if they don't have a LTCF they are breaking the law (even without their knowledge) and subject to arrest.

A car gun has a niche. If you have a really long commute, what happens if/when your car breaks down on the road, esp when it's dark or in a dicey neighborhood?

You're not going to be able to carry at most workplaces. The options then become: car gun vs no gun at all all day.

I can see both sides to this. i can see how a car is a weak place to store a gun, but if you have made all reasonable attempts (ie safe) to secure your gun i would feel comfortable leaving it there when i had too. but it would not be a permanant storage location eather. a safe at your house can just as easly be removed. and opened later. give me 2 dozen golf balls and about 45 min (and if i have been watching your house ill know your routen along with your neighbors, and will strike while your gone. then ill open the safe when i have time. so honestly if someone wants your gun they will get it no matter where its stored. yes a car will be a little easyer but at home is not that hard eather.

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    ...I have decided that pocket carry (LCP) is going to be my standard carry method, but it's virtually impossible to get to it while seated in the car.
    I also have a LCP in a pocket holster. I just take it out of my pocket when I get in the car and place it between the seat and the door. Even if you watch me do it you can't see that it's a gun. In that position, I can easily and stealthily draw it with my left hand without alerting a potential bad guy looking into the car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links