How to conceal carry in Georgia if driving down I-95 from Virginia to Florida?

This is a discussion on How to conceal carry in Georgia if driving down I-95 from Virginia to Florida? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a Virginia concealed handgun permit holder (CHP) and I'm thinking about taking a trip down 95 to Florida. That takes me through North and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to conceal carry in Georgia if driving down I-95 from Virginia to Florida?

How to conceal carry in Georgia if driving down I-95 from Virginia to Florida?

I'm a Virginia concealed handgun permit holder (CHP) and I'm thinking about taking a trip down 95 to Florida. That takes me through North and South Carolina which both have reciprocity with Virginia. Florida also has reciprocity.

Georgia doesn't have reciprocity though, so what are my options? Right now I'm leaning towards getting a Florida non-resident permit. Is that the best/easiest way to conceal carry all the way from Virginia to Florida while driving down I-95? Also, I might be staying in Georgia for a night or two.

2. Remove Ads

Some states may not accept non-resident license or permits you may want to look into it and see if georgia is one of them.

If you were to come down and apply for a non resident florida license be ready for a long wait.

They are really back logged your coming through georgia on 95 should take you like few hrs state line to state line theres a rest area before you get into georgia put it in the trunk seperate from ammo, and also as you get into florida to strap on.

I realise its an inconvienience but we floridians had to to the same with SC, glad we dont have to do that any more.

Hope this helps

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    The best states over all for a nonresident to get as far as sheer number of states that honor them are Florida and Utah. I have both, to go along with my home Nevada permit, to give me the largest number of states that I can (I can always add another state should the need arise). I personally just like to have the best shot (so to speak, pun not intended), of being able to carry if I make a trip. According to Handgunlaw.us, Georgia honors Both Florida and Utah. You might want to take a look at the cost of each, and how long the states are taking to issue permits to make a decision. Also, there isn't much difference, but there is a state or two difference between the two. You may just want to look over the list just to see if one of them is accepted somewhere that you are likely to go, when the other isn't.

The section of Georgia Law that you want to examine is OCGA 16-11-126, subsections (c) and (e).

In GA, as long as you are eligible for a firearm license, you may carry your gun anywhere you want while in your car. IANAL, but I don't see any reason that the same wouldn't apply to an out-of-state CHP holder passing through on the way to points south. In subsection (c) the operative term in my analysis is any person, as opposed to resident of the state, etc.

You may carry in GA on a FL NR CHP as long as your not a GA resident.

If you are staying for a night or two in Georgia, don't carry unless you have a license recognized by Georgia. You can have your gun in your hotel room, however. A license is not required to possess a gun, just to carry it. Subsection (d) of the statute that I quoted above allows people without licenses that need to transport an unloaded firearm in a case to a residence or domicile to do so lawfully. So you should be covered there too.

Cheers.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I got my NH non-res pretty much for this purpose back when it was cheap. I do seem to recall the hangup being something about Georgia not having a 24/7 system to check the validity of a permit - a requirement for any VA reciprocity agreement.

Yep, here it is - they've had 12 years to update their system; maybe it's time to harass the GA Atty. Gen. again.

georgia.gov - OFFICIAL OPINION 97-27

If you manage to obtain a permit that is recognized in Georgia, here is a subtlety of Georgia law that you need to know. In Georgia, if you carry concealed you must use a holster of some kind. I was glad to have discovered this before I put my PM9 in my pocket like I so often do in my home state.

Even though your permit is not valid in Georgia, you may still carry openly in your vehicle, or concealed in a glove box.

OpenCarry.org - State Information For Georgia

Summary
    Georgia is not a traditional open carry state. However, open carry IS legal with a Georgia permit. It is also worthy of note that you MAY openly carry a firearm without a permit in a motor vehicle.
    Open Car Carry
    You may open carry in a vehicle either in plain view OR in a glove box.
    Kevin Jensen
    Utah State Researcher,
    www.opencarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by redstgunnut View Post
    If you manage to obtain a permit that is recognized in Georgia, here is a subtlety of Georgia law that you need to know. In Georgia, if you carry concealed you must use a holster of some kind. I was glad to have discovered this before I put my PM9 in my pocket like I so often do in my home state.
    We have a bill for the next legislative session in reading that, if successful, will rid us of that stupid language on our books. It would also make open carry legal without a permit, turning GA into a true open carry state.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

I just went to Florida and back. Spent a week down there. Open carry through Georgia. Thats what I did anyway. Plus, I never got out of the car through Georgia either.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    I got my NH non-res pretty much for this purpose back when it was cheap. I do seem to recall the hangup being something about Georgia not having a 24/7 system to check the validity of a permit - a requirement for any VA reciprocity agreement.

Yep, here it is - they've had 12 years to update their system; maybe it's time to harass the GA Atty. Gen. again.

georgia.gov - OFFICIAL OPINION 97-27
    I got my HN non-res back when it was 20 bucks but it's 100 now. Still allows you to carry in Georgia, Al and MS though.

All you need is a PA non-resident permit. It is fast and easy to obtain and only $26.00. GA does honor them.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Roy McC View Post
    All you need is a PA non-resident permit. It is fast and easy to obtain and only $26.00. GA does honor them.
    +1 This is what I would do.
    I carry a bible and a gun. Your Point?

Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    This may sound like a silly question but Are you Active Duty Military, if so then your Active Duty ID counts as a Weapons License. The State Law in GA does not recognize a difference between on duty or not for military, so military ID's are always recognized as a weapons license as per O.C.G.A. 16-11-130

Georgia General Assembly (go to Georgia Code and it will link to all of the laws for the State of GA.)

16-11-130. Exemptions from Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-128

(a) Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-128 shall not apply to or affect any of the following persons if such persons are employed in the offices listed below or when authorized by federal or state law, regulations, or order:

(1) Peace officers, as such term is defined in paragraph (11) of Code Section 16-1-3, and retired peace officers so long as they remain certified whether employed by the state or a political subdivision of the state or another state or a political subdivision of another state but only if such other state provides a similar privilege for the peace officers of this state;

(2) Wardens, superintendents, and keepers of correctional institutions, jails, or other institutions for the detention of persons accused or convicted of an offense;

(3) Persons in the military service of the state or of the United States;
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    The section of Georgia Law that you want to examine is OCGA 16-11-126, subsections (c) and (e).

In GA, as long as you are eligible for a firearm license, you may carry your gun anywhere you want while in your car. IANAL, but I don't see any reason that the same wouldn't apply to an out-of-state CHP holder passing through on the way to points south. In subsection (c) the operative term in my analysis is any person, as opposed to resident of the state, etc.

You may carry in GA on a FL NR CHP as long as your not a GA resident.

If you are staying for a night or two in Georgia, don't carry unless you have a license recognized by Georgia. You can have your gun in your hotel room, however. A license is not required to possess a gun, just to carry it. Subsection (d) of the statute that I quoted above allows people without licenses that need to transport an unloaded firearm in a case to a residence or domicile to do so lawfully. So you should be covered there too.

Cheers.

he is not eligible for a license therefore he must carry in accordance with federal transport law. the reason he is not eligible is because he doesnt meet the residency requirement

the OP could open carry the gun but according to current case law that is pretty much impossible a few have joked you could tape it to the back window or hang it from your rear view, but who knows if it would stand
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    As Chooie and Ticman said a NH permit allows carry in GA as well as other states in the south. It does cost $100 now. I sent for mine around June 25 and the NH State Police say they are running about 14 weeks behind so mine should come in sometime in October.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links