NC question

NC question

This is a discussion on NC question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In NC you cannot CC into a place that charges admission. Anyways... the question I have is if a venue that normally charges admission is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NC question

NC question

In NC you cannot CC into a place that charges admission. Anyways... the question I have is if a venue that normally charges admission is not for a particular day/time, would it then be legal to carry? The venue in question is a county fair and they are having free admission on several days/times, but at other times are charging.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Call your County Sheriff's dept. They can answer that quick.

Any time I've had a que, I just call them if I can't find it.

I think your answer will be no as at times they do charge admission.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Don't they sell and consume beer at the fair? If they do, your answer is no carry, regardless of whether or not admission is charged.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

agree with previous posts.
    good question. NC carry laws
    as well as in other states dont make
    a lot of sense. Not supposed to carry
    in movie theaters or any place that charges admission,
    churches, banks, places that serve alcohol.
    I mean where can you carry

Cool

And most fairs are held on government property.

The State Fair is on state property, so its off limits to CC regardless of the admission status of the day. Open carry on the other hand, who knows?
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    The State Fair is on state property, so its off limits to CC regardless of the admission status of the day. Open carry on the other hand, who knows?
    yeah, but if they're serving and drinking, all carry is off-limits there.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

To quote the guy that's wearing the bow tie, "When in doubt, don't."

UGH! That guy was soooooo excruciating! What's this about Church? I'm gonna have to dig my book out, we carry to Church all the time. My CCP instructor and the man we do private tactics training with carries to Church..... where's that book......

Churches are fine as long as there aren't any educational programs offered there.

I don't think it would be legal to carry into the county fair if anyone is charged admission to be there or if they sell alcohol for consumption.

I keep reading that guns are not allowed on state-owned property, but I can't find the law on that. NCGS 14-269.4 mentions three specific state buildings and any court of the General Court of Justice; there's no general prohibition of carry or possession on state-owned property. Is it prohibited by some other law?

Regarding churches... guns are prohibited with very few exceptions on educational property and in schools. "Educational property" is defined as "Any school building or bus, school campus, grounds, recreational area, athletic field, or other property owned, used, or operated by any board of education or school board of trustees, or directors for the administration of any school. "School" is defined as "A public or private school, community college, college, or university."

Churches have educational programs all the time, but that doesn't qualify them as educational property nor as a school as defined in the statutes. There's no mention of churches in any NC gun laws that I have found. Note that some churches are also private schools and would therefore fall under the school prohibition.

While I'm at it, I've also read that funerals are no carry zones. NCGS 14-277.2 says, in part, "... any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions .... It doesn't say funerals, and it doesn't say all funeral processions. I interpret this to mean that possession is only prohibited during a funeral procession on private health care facilities or state or local government owned property. A funeral at the local church does not qualify as either. Actually, a funeral is not a funeral procession, so it doesn't really matter where it is.

I believe the statute was designed to prevent carrying at public funeral processions, such as one given in honor of a fallen soldier, police officer, fire fighter, or other public figure.

And one last thing. Concealed carry in banks is prohibited, but open carry is not.

Someone please set me straight if I've missed something; I feel like I read a lot of "incomplete" information on where carrying is and isn't allowed.

This stuff can be confusing. I just want to carry and be left alone.

Problem is regarding banks
    most all have the no firearm
    sign posted on the entrances
    which would take care of open carry too.

Sorry about my general no firearms in churches post.
    Church I attend is also a private school so no guns.

NC does indeed have some quirky laws....

One of the few places that you cannot purchase a Crossbow without a Pistol License for it.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRonB View Post
    While I'm at it, I've also read that funerals are no carry zones. NCGS 14-277.2 says, in part, "... any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions ....
    That "parade" thing gets me. Does it apply to spectators?

What if you were shopping at a store along the parade route on the day of the parade, but were not there to watch?

These laws make no sense. They're probably written to confuse people so they don't bother to carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links