How to get your wife to shoot

This is a discussion on How to get your wife to shoot within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great Post, thanks LibertyGal!!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get your wife to shoot

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Great Post, thanks LibertyGal!!
    Curry

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by czman2006
    Here's an easier way to get your wife to shoot. Let her catch you and your girlfriend together!
    That was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the post's title.

Allow me to add my 2 pesos in. If you are involved in some shooting discipline, get her to come with you. Be sneaky and use the "I wanna share with you/we need time together." and make sure you do share with her even if it is just talking in between stages. My wife is now feeling the itch to get a gun after coming to matches (Local and State) and I swear she can be an IDPA Safety Officer by now, probably better than me
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I can definitely +1 the starting your lady off with a revolver. I started mine off with a Bersa .380 and she hated it. She didn't like loading magazines, or changing them, or really anything other than the shooting part. So, I picked her up a S&W .38 and she's totally hooked. I'm also keen to the idea that if there's a misfire, she just pulls the trigger again instead of clearing a pistol.

Now instead of me scheduling a day on the weekend to go shoot, she's asking me in the middle of the week when we're going shooting. Not only do I get to enjoy more time with her doing something I love, she's taking the course for her CCW this month, so now she'll be able to properly defend herself.
    Last edited by SammyIamToday; April 3rd, 2006 at 07:27 PM.

Hey LG
    A Pennsylvania gal!
    You guys better watch out, this is how we grow them here.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    How to get the wife to shoot? Tell her those jeans make her look fat.

Gets me my exercise, too.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Thumbs up Follow up

Thanks again Liberty Gal. I took your advice and read my wife some of the first chapter of Armed and Female. She's now reading the book.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

+1 on the revolver. I introduced my wife to guns & shooting and we've been to several classes, but I've learned my lesson well: don't buy a gun (esp a self-defense tool) for someone else. THEY need to pick it up and test it out like they would a pair of shoes.

I bought my wife a Glock 27 because it was small (she has very small hands), but soon realized that her hand is too small to really get a good grip on he gun, so by day 3 of a HG class her thumb joint is pretty bruised from the reciprocating slide. Then on a lark we went to a gun show 2 months ago and she holds a revolver for the first time, and she LOVED it. Fit her hand perfectly. Now we need to get to a rental gun range and check some different kinds out for her to buy. I'd much rather she has a 6-rd .38 that she likes to practice with than a 7-rd .40 she hates to shoot.

liberty gal... you left one thing out. be sure to have PLENTY of ammo on hand. if she starts to enjoy it you'll go through a LOT of ammo. first hand experience talking here.

..... be sure to have PLENTY of ammo on hand. if she starts to enjoy it you'll go through a LOT of ammo. first hand experience talking here.
    You'll buy it in one or two case lots!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Thanks Libertygal! That’s the kind of help we all can use. I might have benefited much earlier, but your advice serves as a confirmation to me.
    I did it backwards and it worked for us. I actually bought a Henry .22 youth rifle for my son, but because a minor can’t legally own a firearm, I brought it home and presented it to my wife to be the legal owner. Her eyes lit up and she was hooked ever since. I had to buy her a pistol soon after that. (A Walther P-22) Now she wants something with some punch, a Smith & Wesson .357. Last of all, I got her a copy of Quigley’s book. She hasn’t read it yet, she’s sold already.

As for Suggestion #10: Yes, we actually go to the range on our anniversary (and just about any other occasion now,) and then dinner of course.
    We are just wondering why it took 18 years to discover something we enjoy doing together as much as we do.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    My wife isn't afraid of guns like she used to be. She is glad that I have them and that I carry. I keep on begging her to go to the range to shoot. I have a .38 that would do her nicely! It just seems that everytime we plan to go, something comes up. I did take her sister about a year ago. She shot and ENJOYED the Glock 21!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Never discount the ladies and their inate ability to handle a firearm. my buddy and NRA instructor took a group of women including my wife out for a full day training. I examined my wife's targets and her aim was deadly accurate. she shot 22LR, 38spl, 357mag (before sig hit the scene), 44spl, 9mm, and 45acp. According to my bud, she handled them all with ease and confidence. He told me that the ladies normally make better students because there is no attitude in the way.

The lesson I learned from this is when it comes to inviting your wife to the range, let an instructor do it. The instructor will will have more patience and not verbally bash. I've seen a husband just trash his wife/lady/sig other while on the range. Totally uncalled for and not pretty to watch.
    john

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jclif1995
    I've seen a husband just trash his wife/lady/sig other while on the range.
    If you do this, you had better hope that she never does learn how to shoot! You would hate to learn how well she can shoot while facing the business end of a 1911.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I have trained several ladies. I have found that even when husbands do not trash the wife intentionally, often they get frustrated because of a too slow learning curve for the man or because the man does not know how to teach a lady.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

Great post Liberty Gal!
    Mrs. Airedale shoots sporting clays, bird hunts, shoots revolver division in USPSA and shoots 3 gun with me. She also has her CCL.

It took a long time for her to get into shooting. She went with me while I shot sporting clays as a "heckler". There's nothing like dropping a target an hearing "you stink!". She finally started shooting clays, then dropped a preserve pheasant over Fat Sam (one of the Airedales) and she was hooked.

She shoots a moon clipped S&W 586 with a .38 short colt load in USPSA. She's slow but safe and pretty darn accurate.

Her copy of Armed and Female arrived yesterday.

Thanks for the post.

Dave

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links