Used my gun today!

Used my gun today!

This is a discussion on Used my gun today! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I actually fired a round in public today. I was walking with my wife down the street about 3 hours ago and we passed ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Used my gun today!

Used my gun today!

Well, I actually fired a round in public today. I was walking with my wife down the street about 3 hours ago and we passed a house with a rather LARGE rottwilier ( I think that how you spell it!) dog in the yard. It went nuts trying to get at us as we passed, hoping that the 3 foot high fence would keep him in the yard. About half way down the block, my wife turned around and started screaming and running in our original direction. I turned and saw what she saw, that big dog running for us at full speed. I had about 3 seconds to make the decision and execute it before that dog ripped my head off. It only took about 1.5 seconds. I hit the dog square in the head firing from the hip, that is how close this was.

I holstered my gun and started calming my wife down when a local LEO arrived with his lights on. He immediately ordered me to place my hands in the air and walk to his car where he disarmed me. Apparently, he was running traffic just down the road and actually witnessed the whole thing. As we were talking about it, the owner came and was obviously pissed. Long story short, the dog owner lost his pet, I was given my gun back and sent on my way, and the LEO filed a report.

So yeah, I actually fired a round in public to defend my wife and myself. It wasnt against a bad guy, but it was "justifiable shooting."

That is exactly why we should carry everywhere we go. You never know when you will have to defend yourself and or your family. Sorry for the loss of the dog but it's just a little stupid to put a dog as big as he was in a 3 foot fence.
    That was a matter of time incident waiting to happen.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

DM2
    Wow, I'm glad you and your wife are okay. I'm glad the LEO was there to see everything. I'm sure that's going to save you a lot of legal headache. As a dog lover, I hate to hear about an animal being killed but the owner should be more responsible.

I have a Shepherd that would probably do the same thing, but he is never in the yard without me or without being tied up on a steel tie-out cord if I'm in the house. You just can't take any chances.

Stay safe.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Can't say I would have done any different, although I don't like the idea of having to shoot a dog. The owner should have his butt kicked for keeping a dog like that in the first place.

Glad to hear you and the Mrs. are okay. Good job on staying alert and being prepared.

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

Wow, glad you 2 are safe and the LEO saw the whole thing, that there probably saved you a whole mess of aggravation. Too bad for the dog, you made the right decision, although I feel no sorrow for the irresponsible dog owner.

Thanks for posting.

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I'm glad you and your wife are safe and unharmed. What the h-e-double-hockey-sticks was the owner doing leaving the dog out, unsupervised, with a poor containment, and from the sounds of it, unsocialized as well? Thank goodness it was YOU and not a small child, frail or elderly person, etc. Can you imagine?

There are no bad dogs, just bad owners. This guy wins the prize.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Well, I actually fired a round in public today. I was walking with my wife down the street about 3 hours ago and we passed a house with a rather LARGE rottwilier ( I think that how you spell it!) dog in the yard. It went nuts trying to get at us as we passed, hoping that the 3 foot high fence would keep him in the yard. About half way down the block, my wife turned around and started screaming and running in our original direction. I turned and saw what she saw, that big dog running for us at full speed. I had about 3 seconds to make the decision and execute it before that dog ripped my head off. It only took about 1.5 seconds. I hit the dog square in the head firing from the hip, that is how close this was.

I holstered my gun and started calming my wife down when a local LEO arrived with his lights on. He immediately ordered me to place my hands in the air and walk to his car where he disarmed me. Apparently, he was running traffic just down the road and actually witnessed the whole thing. As we were talking about it, the owner came and was obviously pissed. Long story short, the dog owner lost his pet, I was given my gun back and sent on my way, and the LEO filed a report.

So yeah, I actually fired a round in public to defend my wife and myself. It wasnt against a bad guy, but it was "justifiable shooting."
    The owner has nobody to blame but himself. You did what you had to do. I love rotties, grew up with them but the owner has the responsibility for the dog's behavior and actions. The dog paid the price. I'm really glad your both ok.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Wow!!! This is just the thing we prepare for and hope we'll never have to carry through. Glad you were armed and well trained with your weapon. No innocents were hurt and you and your wife went home tonight. Shame the dog owner was not more responsible.
    Proud NRA member

Glad you and your wife are ok, that's most important, A large dog can do lots of damage. I must say though, by the way you wrote the title of your post you come off as excited that you got to kill something. I'm sure you didn't mean to, just saying.
    ‘‘A government resting on the minority is an aristocracy, not a Republic, and could not be safe with a numerical and physical force against it, without a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace.’’ ---James Madison, The Federalist Papers

VIP Member
    This is perhaps the most pristine and justifiable shooting I’ve read, and the fact that a LEO was the key witness made it so.
    Regards,
    Last edited by Saber; August 19th, 2009 at 07:14 AM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

What you had to do today is one of my biggest fears while at home or in my neighborhood. I fear this more than BGs.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Rottweiler ......I've shown and trained dogs for years and I totally agree with everything Bunny just said. It's sad that the dog had to suffer for such an ignorant owner. It's jerks like that particular owner that give breeds such as the Rottweiler a bad name. Thanks be to him for allowing his dog to be a statistic. Very glad you and the wife are ok, great job!!

glad yall are okay, and the owners must not have cared for the dog to much, if it had of bitten on of yall it would have more than likely been put down anyways, me and my wife have a vicious dog, or at least she thinks she is, but what can you expect from a chihuahua.
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

Glad you and your wife are ok.
    Sorry the situation happened.
    Wonder if the dog had any previous
    issues. Surprised you dont have to go
    to court or anything like that.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I really feel bad about the dog. And feel no sorry for the owner. He didn't deserve to be an animal caretaker. Sad the dog had to pay for his ignorance.

So very glad your're all ok, and you reacted well.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links