Big news for florida citizens...

This is a discussion on Big news for florida citizens... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One thing I have learned studying law: do not count on the court's interpretation of case law, as it changes at a whim....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big news for florida citizens...

One thing I have learned studying law: do not count on the court's interpretation of case law, as it changes at a whim.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    While Harper may have been exiting the vehicle at the time of the shooting, the action was involuntary if it occurred at all.

Careful. We are not talking about shooting a BG after the attack ceases because he was voluntarily retreating and the court is saying that is OK. The retreat was not voluntary and therefore no valid retreat under the law.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaber View Post
    This just in from Florida...

TALLAHASSEE An appellate court says Florida's "stand-your-ground" law allows the use of deadly force for self-protection even if an attacker or intruder is in retreat.

A three-judge panel of the 1st District Court of Appeal issued that explanation Wednesday for ordering the release last month of a Tallahassee man who had been charged with first-degree murder.

The unanimous opinion may conflict with a 2nd District Court of Appeal decision in 2007. It denied "stand-your-ground" immunity to a Valrico resident because he shot a man who had retreated from his garage after an argument.

A spokeswoman for Attorney General Bill McCollum said no decision had yet been made on seeking a rehearing or appealing to the Florida Supreme Court.

Seems like maybe the courts are starting to get the message. I hope it continues.
    "Stand your ground" means you don't have to run and hide but can use lethal force to protect yourself, etc.

IMHO, it does NOT mean you can shoot a bad guy in the back unless the circumstances are pretty horrific and a horrific offence has taken place.

I would have to see the circumstances of this shooting before making a personal statement on it... but as far as I am concerned? (a) stand your ground means no need to retreat; and (b) use of lethal force should be warranted where a horrific offense has taken place and you have no other way of stopping the perp despite many please to stop departing. My #1 is arson.... having seen the aftermath of terrible burns and the pain and suffering it causes, even if I could not use lethal force I would be happy to pull the switch or whatever and not lose a moment of sleep (well, I would lost sleep but I would do it willingly and gladly).

Quote Originally Posted by torontogunguy View Post

IMHO, it does NOT mean you can shoot a bad guy in the back unless the circumstances are pretty horrific and a horrific offence has taken place.
    You can if he points a gun at you while he is running away.

VIP Member
    Then the threat is still going and deadly force is probably valid
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

nice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links