Defensive Carry banner

concealment ??

3K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  P95Carry 
#1 ·
i am having trouble finding clothes that work for concealing and give me quick access to my gun. i feel that i am obvious if just in a t so i like to wear a jacket which is harder to draw from. normally i wear baggy clothes which work well, but i don't want to look like a trouble maker or gangster while carrying so i tend to wear carhart or wrangler type jeans and a solid colored t shirt when packing. any tips? do certain colors and/or designs work better than others? also what are the possible legal outcomes if someone makes me and creates a scene?

summer is coming so i am trying to decide if i should go baggy and get the "im watching you" look from leo's or go tighter and risk being made

#2 ·
First off, concealing a weapon under a layer or two of clothing will always present a slight hurdle when you draw your weapon (even while your weapon is concealed under a t-shirt), as you probably know....the only thing you can do is constantly train to access your gun in a expeditious manner while concealed. Do your drawing from concealment training both at home and the range (if permitted).

Everyone these days wears reasonably baggy clothes and untucked shirts. Depending on where you are at and the circumstance, fanny packs and vests don't necessarily give away that you are concealing a weapon. If you look out of place, then you are going to get noticed regardless of where you are at....doesn't necessarily mean that you are "made" as a gun carrier though.

For me, patterned untucked shirts help hide any larger weapons I carry like my duty SIGARMS P229 or my off-duty sig pro SP2340. If the weather is cooler, then a jacket or vest is obviously no problem.

I like to carry Kahr 9mm's off-duty so slightly oversized t-shirts work perfectly due to the small size and flatness of Kahr pistols. Larger guns do not allow me to carry them under a t-shirt; they will print nearly everytime.

I don't know the brandishing laws in CA, but I would imagine that if someone that says "baaaa" spots your gun and reports you to LE, minus any intent on your part to purposely expose your weapon, you will at least be confronted by LE, possibly have your weapon seized at the scene, along with your ID (and CCW permit), possibly handcuffed while they verify who you are and then release you, returning all of your property including your gun which may have been unloaded on the scene, and sent on your way.....with the LEO's possibly giving you a lecture on "next time" securing your weapon in a better fashion as not to frighten the horses. At worse, the responding LE agency could recommend you lose your license in the event you brandish your weapon even accidently, arrest and charge you but I would think that's a worst case scenario.

I wouldn't worry about "going baggy"....everyone does it; heck even fortysomething year-old old fart me and I get away with it everytime.

#4 ·
Actually, for us 50+, the slightly loose or baggy is more comfortable, and we don't have the "equipment" (abs) to be wearing that tight stuff anyway! Ever see "really tight" on someone 50+??? It's usually "Yuk"!

#6 ·
wishicould - You'll likely find over time that you'll become more comfortable. If you act "Normal", i.e. - not unnatural; people really won't notice unless of course you yourself, "Make" people notice.

I used to carry a P220 Sig .45acp in the daily local garb of the Florida keys (shorts & tee shirt) IWB. Granted I could manage it being over 240 LBS.
Now-a-days, I most often do a "Strong Side Pocket Carry" and every so often IWB. Take a look at www.palehorseholsters.com, or try emailing rj@hedleyholsters.com
Doing Pocket carry, most of the time I carry either my Rohr. R9s 9mm, or one of my custom NAA Guardian's (either .32acp or .380acp); Once in a blue moon I'll (IWB) carry a custom S&W M37 Airweight .38 Spl., a Kahr K9 Elite, a Sig P226 in .40 S&W, or a 3" S&W M36.
Lastly, when my wife and I do our evening walks around the parks, it's a .22 NAA Mini Magnum "Shorty" W/ 2 rnds "Snake Shot" (Pronounced "Face Shot".., followed by 3 rnds of Ball Magnum, this carried in my Gym Shorts pocket.

More than you probably wanted to know, but I hope it gets Yah thinkin'. :yup:

Eric Howland
Savannah, GA.

#7 ·
Here's my set up. I buy one size large button up shirts or polos. However, what I really like are the one size or XXL Dickies shirts from Wally World. I have several colors, but if you can't find the colors you need you can order from the site. Good luck this works good tested and proven. Also, the tails are long and shirts look good. They are normally 13.00 to 20.00 dollars.

#8 ·
Important Suggestions:

It would help if you told members what firearm & what holster you are using right now that you feel is difficult to properly conceal.
I'm guessing by your Avatar...a Glock.

Dark colored "double weight" 100% Cotton T-Shirts that are slightly oversize work great.
Black - Dark Blue - Dark Green - Deep Gray are all fine. Patterns also help to break up any "print" lines.

Dressing "Out Of Character" for the weather & temperature will call more attention to yourself than dressing "normally" for the daily temperature.

If it is 91 degrees outside and you are wearing a cover vest or jacket then you ARE going to "stand out" much more than if you just have an oversize T-Shirt on.

You need to remember that only part of proper concealment is in your selection of clothing...your choice of holster & belt...the location on your body & the "cant" of your firearm.

The other very important part of Great, Effective, Concealment is mental.
If you look like you think everybody is looking at you THEN everybody IS going to look at you. Do not fidget or play with your firearm & do not "tug" at your clothing.

Most Important is to buy a high quality Holster AND BELT & put it in the correct spot (for you) on your body.
There is absolutely no reason why you should not be able to conceal any "full size" - "full weight" firearm just under an oversize darker "double weight" T-Shirt even if you are a small framed person.
If you have a "thin build" then that is actually a slight advantage to good concealment.

#10 ·
I wear a lot of casual shirts like these. Their fine in the summer months.

Since I purchased a CTAC holster (can't seem to stop talking about it) I have found that I can even tuck in a t-shirt and conceal.

If I have to go somewhere in the shorts and t-shirt mode, though, I usually carry a pocket pistol.

I've found it difficult to have a one gun fits all scenarios situation. So, it becomes a good excuse to buy more.

If you have to wear something that draws the attention away from that area. :blink:

Alright, apologies ahead of time to those of you that actually own a lime green sport coat.

#11 ·
As others have mentioned - dark colored shirts are you friend. I can usually get by with a moderately heavy dark colored t-shirt concealing a full sized 1911 (IWB). The other thing I've found helpful is bending at the knees instead of at the hip.

With summer coming on, I'll probably opt to pocket carry a smaller gun most of the time.

#14 ·
wishicould said:
summer is coming so i am trying to decide if i should go baggy and get the "im watching you" look from leo's or go tighter and risk being made
Having lived in socal I'm confident that the LEOs in Cali aren't looking for 'baggy' when they're looking for trouble makers, even at your age. Not so much as the past ten years, but there is still a big number of people that wear baggy all the time. I don't connect 'baggy' with trouble. Trouble gets connected more with that 'seedy' look. Can't necessarily put a certain type of dress on it, but more of a certain demeanor. I'm also willing to bet that if LEOs are present, you will make eye contact. BGs wouldn't likely do this.

It takes a pretty good actor for someone intent on doing bad things to carry themselves in a way that people won't be nervous. If they had this talent where you are, they'd be paid actors.

#15 ·
baggy clothes seem to work well. carpenter pants and the like . as long as you butt/underwear isn't showing , I don't think anyone well peg ya as a ganster.

#17 ·
Cotton button up shirts.. patterned or dark. STARCHED.
The starch helps the fabric slide over your weapon and not print.

#18 ·
Concealing your firearm.

As a chief LEO and a 20 year veteran, I have tried a great number of various styles/types of concealment. I've found that we (especially LEO's) resist change and wet get stuck in our ways. I find that you must watch the various clothing styles, fads and fashions and see what works for you. You must give it time to get used to it. I've found that most usually, we're self-conscious and believe that the general public and LEO's can see our weapons, when in actuality, it's our own self-consciousness. Regardless of the mode of concealed carry, it's all a training/practice issue. I don't know what your body structure/build is like, but I stand 6'8" tall and now weigh 265. I rececently lost (over the course of 9 months last year) 120 pounds. Since that point, I've found that staying on the "trim" side has opened a new door to the many methods of concealed carry. I would suggest subscribing to some of the various firearms/personal defense related publications and see what the "experts" such as Ayoob, Rauch, Spaulding and other have to say about CCW methonds and weapons. Naturally, printed clothing hides/conceals better that plain colors. To me, the photo jouranilst vests or a jacket in hot weather are a greater "give away". I might suggest the tactial t-shirt from 5.11 Tactical or one of the belly bands" from a reputable manufacturer as a great method to carry a relatively quick access firearm.

#19 ·
Being 51 as of four days ago, I'm thinking of having my stomach gut liposcutioned out and making a natural "bellyband" out of it, similar to a kangaroo's pouch! Ultimate concealment!:image035:

#21 ·
My saving grace a lot of the time and certainly in hot conditions, is my Smith & Alexander vest. It is not one that I feel shouts carry - just a whisper perhaps :wink:

I am near shedding my thicker, long and full unbuttoned outer shirts - they are good enough to conceal a howitzer!

Do tho practice the weakhand cross sweep for draw - and also (in case that hand/arm out of commission) a sweep aside with strong hand too.

Let me again show Cruise' draw in Collateral - good sweep and with that a body lean away from rig - pretty slick with practice. A sort of sidebend reverse rotation move.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.