carrying a 1911

This is a discussion on carrying a 1911 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The 1911 platform is a tried and proven winner. People have been trusting their lives to them for 100 years now. I look at a ...

View Poll Results: To carry or not to carry a 1911

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Idea 1911's are reliable enough

177 96.20%
  • No not a good Idea to hard to keep running

7 3.80%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: carrying a 1911

VIP Member
    The 1911 platform is a tried and proven winner. People have been trusting their lives to them for 100 years now. I look at a 1911 like I look at myself, I may be old, but I still get the job done!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    Hello
    I have a Trp springer 1911 just hit a thousand rds it's been 100% for those 1000 rds.
    Do you think it's reliable enough to carry for SD?
    Stay armed...you're good to go...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

1911s are just fine to carry; the gun you see as my avatar is my main carry gun, and I have carried it since 1994 when I first bought it. The only times I haven't carried the gun has been to send it off to the gunsmith for another modification or to send the gun off to get hard chromed when I finished it. Aside from that, it is my constant companion, and I would bet my life on it. It has cycled thousands and thousands of rounds with no problems.

Just understand, though that the guy who built up the gun knew EXACTLY what he was doing. So many people take their 1911s to gunsmiths who claim to know what they are doing, then end up with a gun that won't run, and that in turn ends up giving 1911s a bad rap....

I say if you want to carry one, carry it. If you want to test it, a thousand rounds of trouble-free operation is OK, but I would rather test the gun in a match setting like an IDPA or IPSC match; there you will run the gun hard, and you will find out if something is going to fail pretty quickly. If you can shoot the gun in a couple of matches, and have no problems then I would say it is ready to carry into battle.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    I think a better question is:
    Do YOU trust your 1911 and your ability to handle it?

Another question is:
    Is there another handgun that is more reliable and shoots better in YOUR hands?

I should say that I have recently started working up a Colt Commander on the range. It is my intention that it will be a carry piece, but if at any point I don't think I can handle it as well or better than anything else, it will go in the safe.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Trust my life and my family's life to my 1911
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Did that question ever needed to be asked? A 1911 from a quality manufacturer is as good as any other pistol from a quality manufacturer. It's a proven design, and if you can do your part (front sight focus, press trigger straight to rear) then it will do it's part. Perhaps I'm bias and carry a 1911, or perhaps it was because I'm still a little touchy from today's argument with a coworker about 1911's are relics that should be mothballed for more "modern" polymer pistols.

(breathe....)

Jessie, your TRP sounds like it is good to go (it's a springfield after all). But since you have asked if it is ready for self defense, I'll have to ask you have you tried putting your defensive ammo through it. I don't mean a single box of 20 rounds, but more like 100+ rounds through it. When it comes to jams/malfunctions, that is the ammo you should be concerned with. Regular ball ammo shouldn't have a problem feeding, but if you plan on using hollow points, you may want to run it through the gauntlet. It will be expensive, but than again so is life insurance, and in the end the peace of mind will be worth it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    I think a better question is:
    Do YOU trust your 1911 and your ability to handle it?

Another question is:
    Is there another handgun that is more reliable and shoots better in YOUR hands?
    Good question. I think people, especially new shooters, get the wrong impression that just because the SEALS, FBI, HRT, Super-Security-Contractor trainer gurus uses a particular model gun, that it somehow compensates for lack of fundamental skills. That comment wasn't directed at Jessie or anyone in particular, just my follow up opinion to Road Runner's statement :)

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Americans are too quick to throw away a good designs and ideas and make new
    ones .When we get good ones like 1911 we should keep redesigning and
    perfecting it.I have a loaded hi cap springfield which is a nice pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    Did that question ever needed to be asked? A 1911 from a quality manufacturer is as good as any other pistol from a quality manufacturer. It's a proven design, and if you can do your part (front sight focus, press trigger straight to rear) then it will do it's part. Perhaps I'm bias and carry a 1911, or perhaps it was because I'm still a little touchy from today's argument with a coworker about 1911's are relics that should be mothballed for more "modern" polymer pistols.

(breathe....)

Jessie, your TRP sounds like it is good to go (it's a springfield after all). But since you have asked if it is ready for self defense, I'll have to ask you have you tried putting your defensive ammo through it. I don't mean a single box of 20 rounds, but more like 100+ rounds through it. When it comes to jams/malfunctions, that is the ammo you should be concerned with. Regular ball ammo shouldn't have a problem feeding, but if you plan on using hollow points, you may want to run it through the gauntlet. It will be expensive, but than again so is life insurance, and in the end the peace of mind will be worth it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good question. I think people, especially new shooters, get the wrong impression that just because the SEALS, FBI, HRT, Super-Security-Contractor trainer gurus uses a particular model gun, that it somehow compensates for lack of fundamental skills. That comment wasn't directed at Jessie or anyone in particular, just my follow up opinion to Road Runner's statement :)
    In answer to your ? 400 rds of the 1000 were Winchester 230 GR SXT's.
    I'm very well trained and have instructed firearm usage and safety for many years just have not been able to appreciate the 1911 for a long time. Now I'm retired and plan on enjoying the good thing like 1911's.
    I really like the TRP I think it was put together very well, like you say after all it is a Springer! Very good company and very very good CS.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I voted yes. If I'm not carrying a steel frame revolver the only other thing to hang off my hip is my Kimber.
    Sorry I'm just not a tupperware gal.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I regularly carry a Norinco M1911.

You're not going to find anything more reliable than a good M1911.

I don't think it's a matter of "1911s" it's a matter of YOUR specific gun that has proven reliable. For what you pay for a 1911, it should work 100%. Yours has, so I would say carry it.

What I worry about is all these people I know who carry 1911s they've got 100 rounds through and think they're g2g. You've put yours through its paces. Good on ya.

Smile

The gun will be perfect. You now need to find that "right" holster unless you already own that as well. If so, you are good to go!!

Armydad

I was a Glock guy for 16 years, switched to 1911s this year, and haven't looked back :)

Kimber or Springfield, here.
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

I'm going to answer your question with a question....

Are there any other pistols that served in WW1 which are still being made today....even WW2 for that matter!

Are you comfortable with your 1911 and do you trust it? If so then carry it, if not, don't. The 1911 has a great track record and if you put 1000 rounds through it, you've definently proven that you didn't get a lemon so to speak.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links