Crossing the Tip of Illinois... followup

This is a discussion on Crossing the Tip of Illinois... followup within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A week or so ago I posted about travelling from Colorado to Florida and going through the southern tip of Illinois..... Well I did it. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossing the Tip of Illinois... followup

Crossing the Tip of Illinois... followup

A week or so ago I posted about travelling from Colorado to Florida and going through the southern tip of Illinois.....

Well I did it. Travelled down I55 in MO then crossed into IL near Cairo and then into KY. Everything was done legally.... That is unloaded pistols in a gun box in the trunk of the car. Don't know if it was necessary but I placed the loaded magazines in another container also in the trunk.

I measured the "distance I travelled in IL..... I started my tripometer in the middle of the bridge while crossing the Mississippi and stopped it in the middle of the bridge crossing the Ohio River into KY

Total distance ---- 1.4 miles.......

I didn't actually measure the distance of "land travel" in IL, but I would estimate it to be a fraction of a mile.

I was legal but it was a major pain in the butt.

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Maryland is like that on the western end of the state. If I'm coming from PA going to WV or VA... it's like 3 miles if MD I have to do all that. It gets annoying.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Been through the same route many times. It is a major pain. We can only hope that some day IL will wake up and do the right thing.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Maryland is like that on the western end of the state. If I'm coming from PA going to WV or VA... it's like 3 miles if MD I have to do all that. It gets annoying.
    I feel your pain. They should just allow permit holders to pass along on I-81 through MD without having to put everything in the trunk. Waste of time.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

When I went hunting in Missouri with my best friend in November, we had a much longer trip. I disarmed per FOPA. I was able to carry all the way across Ohio and Indiana, then again when we crossed into Missouri.

We tried to spend absolutely as little money in Illinois as possible.

Question Sheep states

Why would you spend ANY money in any of the sheep states ???
    I absolutely refuse to do so !!!

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I did the same thing recently. It was a major pain having to stop and secure the weapon just to stop again in five minutes. However, I did it. I just know if I didn't, we would get hit by a meteor while in Illinois. Then they would find my pistol in the wreckage and take my remains to jail rather than the morgue. Or something.

VIP Member
    Been through there many times. It may be a half of a mile through Ill-annoy between Ky amd Mo.. It really makes ya realize just how rediculous Illinois is.
    I refuse to lock up my gun until I get right at the Illinois line. I dont care if it's just for 1 minute.
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    A week or so ago I posted about travelling from Colorado to Florida and going through the southern tip of Illinois.....

Well I did it. Travelled down I55 in MO then crossed into IL near Cairo and then into KY. Everything was done legally.... That is unloaded pistols in a gun box in the trunk of the car. Don't know if it was necessary but I placed the loaded magazines in another container also in the trunk.

I measured the "distance I travelled in IL..... I started my tripometer in the middle of the bridge while crossing the Mississippi and stopped it in the middle of the bridge crossing the Ohio River into KY

I didn't actually measure the distance of "land travel" in IL, but I would estimate it to be a fraction of a mile.

Do NOT feel the least belittled by the action you took as it was wise and correct to the letter of the law from what I can tell.

I carry TWO small gunsafes in the back of my Ford Flex; one for the handguns and one for the ammo. The keys are on my keychain and they have combo locks and are in no way reachable from the front seats. I also carry a couple of dense black 'grocery' satchels and the process of disarming and unloading is very simple and you can imagine for yourself (just don't shoot yourself in the leg.... take the time to get out of the car if you can). The minisafes are $39 at Harbour Freight and the really good gun safes (not Gunsafes) are about $99 at your local gun shop and are built like brick outhouses. I had the mechanic at the local Ford dealership bolt them down facing one another in the rear well where the seats would fold down into. I can put loads on top of them and I can put stuff between them. Whatever you do do not place them with the keypads exposed or you will find yourself with dead batteries (hence the emergency key on the keychain... next time I go with just the key type I think but these look like they will last my lifetime anyway).

I am also partial to taking my laptop on long driving trips - most hotels have internet access and I check my route to ensure that I am legal for the next couple of days; last thing you want to do is get caught breaking some imbicilic law far from home.

And remember that you REALLY need to research the laws for your travel route. I understand that a hollowpoint in your car or possession in New Jersey is a felony, whether you are aware of it or not. So if driving through NJ, unload the Gold Dots and mail them to the hotel next in line well in advance.

Happy travelling!

And now you understand why, when we drive to see Family in Central-West Indiana from Shelby County Tennessee, we go East on 40 to Nashville, then North on 65 to Indianapolis, then West on 70. This is instead of going up 55 to Illinois and up to 70.

The way we go adds about an hour and 15 minutes to the trip and I don't know how many miles. But I will not travel through nor spend one cent of my hard earned money in any state that denies me my right to defend my family.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Everything was done legally.... That is unloaded pistols in a gun box in the trunk of the car. Don't know if it was necessary but I placed the loaded magazines in another container also in the trunk.
    You were more than legal, sir. The pistols could have been in closed(but not locked, the plastic snap case that most pistols come in is just fine) containers on the seat next to you with the magazines in the same containers, just not in the gun. You don't have to lock anything in your trunk or even put them out of reach. If the container you put the gun in can fit under your seat(COM safe) that is acceptable too.

According to the CCW instructor I had who is also a lawyer, for being such a shitty state for guns and the carrying of weapons the transportation rules are pretty good.

I know all too well about Illinois and their Draconian gun laws. My wife is from Springfield, IL and when we visit her family, my weapon of choice at that time must be segregated from me via the trunk of the car.

Don't blame most Illinoians, they are not the problem, it's the political machine in the city-state of Chicago that makes life tough for the rest of them.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    my weapon of choice at that time must be segregated from me via the trunk of the car.
    It just has to be unloaded in a closed container. It does not have to be in the trunk. Unless you have no case to put the weapon in inside the cars interior. Right on the seat next to you unloaded and enclosed in a case is fine.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    My son lives in western Maryland in Garrett County. Traveling from KY to visit him always means a stop before I get there to lock up my pistols. I arrived at his house about 8 am one morning to the sound of rifle fire from a couple of houses away. A neighbor has his own range next to his house and fires away all the time. I hear that then think "hell my smith is locked up in the back of the truck" that sucks.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Quote Originally Posted by JimH58 View Post
    My son lives in western Maryland in Garrett County. Traveling from KY to visit him always means a stop before I get there to lock up my pistols. I arrived at his house about 8 am one morning to the sound of rifle fire from a couple of houses away. A neighbor has his own range next to his house and fires away all the time. I hear that then think "hell my smith is locked up in the back of the truck" that sucks.
    Too bad western Maryland can't be sliced off and given to PA or WV......

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links