Possible CHL voided now?

This is a discussion on Possible CHL voided now? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by kspilot536 "does he drink a lot? he can be denied for being a chemically dependent person also" VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV VVVVVVVV How can they ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Possible CHL voided now?

Quote Originally Posted by kspilot536 View Post
    "does he drink a lot? he can be denied for being a chemically dependent person also"
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV VVVVVVVV
    How can they determine if a person drinks a lot without documentation?
    Having 2 beers a day is "A LOT" to a morman.
    But it is a lite snack to a college student.

VIP Member
    Even if he gets adjudicated probation, he would not be eligible... He would have to get his record expunged, in order to be eligible, for the next 5 years after the end of his probation period...

His conviction does not stop him from being able to carry in his car...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

"does he drink a lot? he can be denied for being a chemically dependent person also"
    Being chemically dependant has little to do with drinking "a lot". If a person drinks one beer a day, and is habitual about it, then they're probably chemically dependant on that beer.

Oh, and Mormon is spelled with an "o". ;)

Daryl

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Sorry, but your friend just failed the responsible citizen test.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
    I think that if you are ticketed for speeding you should lose your CCW. Or a parking ticket because that is like leaving your 3,000 pound weapon lying around in an unsafe location.
    Anyone else agree, or think that goes too far?
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

You friend is not eligible for a CHL now. Even if he is not convicted then he will not be able to get one till the case is done and a judgement has been given. Once he is convicted then the 5 year wait starts.

Quote Originally Posted by kspilot536 View Post
    you answered your own question in your statement, I didn't say anything about how it would be determined or that they would arbitrarily disqualify someone without legal basis, just that its a factor, since you asked:
    "Chemically dependent person" means a person who frequently or repeatedly becomes intoxicated by excessive indulgence in alcohol or uses controlled substances or dangerous drugs so as to acquire a fixed habit and an involuntary tendency to become intoxicated or use those substances as often as the opportunity is presented.

Now I'm sure that investigators could easily determine this through independent witnesses, family members, friends, enemies, bartenders/owners, local police records (Public Intox, reports made on person where they are repeatedly shown to be intoxicated, etc)
    also disqualified if they have been in:
    (3) inpatient or residential substance abuse treatment in the preceding five-year period;
    or have:
    (4) diagnosis in the preceding five-year period by a licensed physician that the person is dependent on alcohol, a controlled substance, or a similar substance

those 2 subsections are also factors in determining if someone is incapable of exercising sound judgment with respect to the proper use and storage of a handgun (which is also a disqualifier)

I just threw that in as another thing for the OP to consider for his question/scenario he posted, it is a determining factor when applying for a CHL, I'm not saying everyone that drinks is disqualified by any stretch of the imagination, only that if people have a drinking problem it is an issue
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I can't say for Texas. Georgia? You cannot have been convicted of a crime of moral turptitude.

He doesn't have a drinking problem. He only drinks on days that end in y.
    Monday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Friday
    Saturday
    Sunday

this is why texas needs OC then that way he would still be able to carry but not concealeds
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    Anyone else agree, or think that goes too far?
    I think this is just a tad excessive. Only after repeated/habitual traffic violations(DWI is not included in simple traffic violations) should this even be considered. just my opinion.

Losing endorsement due to speeding/parking tickets is way over the top. DUI results in deaths/serious accidents. Before anyone says speeding does as well, that's bull (unless to the point of recklessness) - it's inattention to driving that causes accidents; which is the problem with drinking and driving.

This is very interesting if he loses his 2a right what other rights do we yank.

And ned that is my point you are not looking at it in black and white at what point do you consider speeding reckless.....Oh I'm sorry i just barely ran that red light sorry I tboned you and put you in a coma same difference.

Thanks for the responses.

I also feel it's extreme to think one should lose the right to carry for a minor traffic violation. I mean, really.....I'm sure your just "Mr. perfect" on the road....Oldskoolfan.

Will you take your own gun away from yourself cause you went 1mph over the limit? Next time you go over the speed limit just a tad remember this post you made...... Some people......sheesh.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links