Possible CHL voided now?

This is a discussion on Possible CHL voided now? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While I would not take away one's CHL for speeding in most cases, if there is a pattern of irresponsibility by disobeying the law, then ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Possible CHL voided now?

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    While I would not take away one's CHL for speeding in most cases, if there is a pattern of irresponsibility by disobeying the law, then I would consider it justified.

I'll just pick a number, and say that if one has 6 speeding tickets in a year he is not responsible, and I would not object to his losing his CHL. I would consider the number of miles over the speed limit. Some folks habitually ignore laws they do not like. Sometimes they get caught, and more often they do not.

For me, I do consider one's attitudes toward obeying laws to be important to being a good citizen. Accordingly I would take away the CHL if there was a pattern of contempt for laws.

I would take one's CHL for one DWI. Maybe he will then fear for his and his family's safety, like I fear for mine with him on the road drunk.

Regards,
    Jerry

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    While I would not take away one's CHL for speeding in most cases, if there is a pattern of irresponsibility by disobeying the law, then I would consider it justified.

I'll just pick a number, and say that if one has 6 speeding tickets in a year he is not responsible, and I would not object to his losing his CHL. I would consider the number of miles over the speed limit. Some folks habitually ignore laws they do not like. Sometimes they get caught, and more often they do not.

For me, I do consider one's attitudes toward obeying laws to be important to being a good citizen. Accordingly I would take away the CHL if there was a pattern of contempt for laws.

I would take one's CHL for one DWI. Maybe he will then fear for his and his family's safety, like I fear for mine with him on the road drunk.

Regards,
    Jerry
    Well said Jerry!!!

Legally carrying a handgun, in any state, requires a change in lifestyle. Simply put...it's not for everyone. I have a friend who is a heavy drinker (minimum of a 6 pack daily), has had a couple of DWI's in the last 15 years that I have known him. Has no reguard for anything that puts limits on him. Listening to his responses to gently loaded questions, that I purposely created to find out his thought process, would certainly eliminate him for a Texas CHL. Now that there is a law passed, here in Texas, allowing concealed carry in a vehicle, by non CHL holders, scares me....especially if he decides to use this in his favor.

tex45acp
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

I cant believe some of the sanctimonious, holier than thou, BS some of you are posting. Where do you people live? The Land of the Perfect?? I'm not saying what the guy did was minor, but he doesnt deserve the Gallows! Him driving drunk doesn't scare me nearly as much as closed minded, uptight CCL holders!!
    A CCL is not a license to judge the rest of the world, nor does it make you better than everyone else. Lose your CCL for speeding, and a DUI means you are not a person of good character, STAND UP AND BREATH GENTALMEN!!!!
    I think its your judgement that should be in question. As CCL holders you are supposed to beable to " Think Quickly, Use Good Judgement, and Think Outside the Box" not crawl into it, and point a Pious Finger at others. It really has to be hard being perfect, where do you boys find the time????
    "Train Hard & Train Often"

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    " Think Quickly, Use Good Judgement, and Think Outside the Box" End Quote

Anyone who drives under the influence has flunked at least the "Good Judgment" part of that test. I would be as much concerned in the presence of a CHL holder who was UI as a BG.
    I can imagine how one under the influence might react if irritated by another driver. I have known a fair number of folks who drink "fight'en whiskey."

Anyway the law will do as it will, and we won't solve our differences in this area. To each his own. If that makes me "sanctimonious, holier than thou" then color me one.

Regards,
    Jerry

Anyway the law will do as it will, and we won't solve our differences in this area. To each his own. If that makes me "sanctimonious, holier than thou" then color me one.

Regards,
    Jerry[/QUOTE/]

Fair enough Jerry, but IMO closed minded, black & white thinking people are called "Subjects" !!!!!!
    "Train Hard & Train Often"

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    As the upstanding citizen I'm sure you are, the next time you roll through a stop sign on your bike, or park it in an area you shouldn't, I expect you will surrender all the guns you own to the police, since, after all, if you can't follow some laws, then you can't be trusted to follow other laws.
    Don't forget riding his bicycle on the sidewalk which is against the law in most states.

Has anyone actually went to those websites that have DUI calculators. Most seem to be lawyer's websites. You enter your gender, weight, number of drinks, and time to finish and it approximates your BAC. It says I need like 5 drinks in one hour to be DUI (.08 BAC in Colorado). That is way over the top to drive in my opinion. You also need to remember some mixed drinks (LI Ice Tea, martini, some Margarita) are more that one drink. I think anything more than s glass of wine at dinner is too much, even before I had a CCW I wouldn't drink more than two in a night. I also never drink more than one and rode my motorcycle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    I cant believe some of the sanctimonious, holier than thou, BS some of you are posting. Where do you people live? The Land of the Perfect?? I'm not saying what the guy did was minor, but he doesnt deserve the Gallows! Him driving drunk doesn't scare me nearly as much as closed minded, uptight CCL holders!!
    A CCL is not a license to judge the rest of the world, nor does it make you better than everyone else. Lose your CCL for speeding, and a DUI means you are not a person of good character, STAND UP AND BREATH GENTALMEN!!!!
    I think its your judgement that should be in question. As CCL holders you are supposed to beable to " Think Quickly, Use Good Judgement, and Think Outside the Box" not crawl into it, and point a Pious Finger at others. It really has to be hard being perfect, where do you boys find the time????
    I didn't take people's posts as being holier than thou, etc etc etc

I took them as people being responsible and making the right decision, ironically similar to what you posted.

If people can't act correctly without a gun then they should consider not carrying, but they might have a problem making that good judgment decision.

After recently becoming a LEO, I fear people driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol more than people with guns that I deal with (unless they're drunk/high also). I see this way more than I see problems with guns.
    I've seen the devastating effects of drunk/high drivers up close and personal. I've had their victim's blood on me, sometimes soaking my uniform so bad I had to go home and change into a new one.
    I've had to be in one end of the ER with 6 other officers holding down a drunk driver for a mandatory blood draw that they didn't want to give (lying about the whole thing, assaulted 2 of us....not someone I'd want to have carrying a gun in the car). Then 5 minutes later being at the other end of the ER talking to the people the drunk hit.....mom on the gurney trying to reassure her that she'll be ok, her 3 yr old in xray will be ok, and that her 5 year is in good hands in PICU with 2 broken legs and head injuries (while trying to keep a positive facial expression even though he had stopped breathing trapped in the back seat of the car and we revived him at the scene before fire/ambulance got there). Is this extreme...yes, does it happen with everyone that drinks....no. But if this person isn't responsible enough to not drive completely wasted and do what they did, then IMO no they should not have a CHL.
    All of my fights have been against drunk/high people, or people dealing in such. I personally don't think anyone with an alcohol or drug problem should be carrying.
    Maybe some will think I'm looking down my nose at others, but thats not the case. Its based solely on my experiences that they don't exercise good judgment.
    I don't think anyone here was placing themselves up on a pedestal to look down at others, but merely expressing that if some people are not responsible enough in their behavior without a gun...maybe they shouldn't carry.

sorry so long
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I understood you to mean bicycle the first time.

You list Illinois as your state. Do you have a CCW?

You mention you are a student. Are you old enough for a CCW? (Honest question because you may be a returning student.)

Do you own a gun?

Just curious because you are quick to be harsh toward gunowners who have a CCW. Seriously, I'm wondering if you are jealous.
    I am a returning student. I am 27. And I have a CCW from Florida. I am also waiting to get a Utah permit. And I will end up with a Pennsylvania permit soon.

I own the following firearms:

Glock 17
    Glock 26
    Sig P226R
    Sig P229R
    Mossberg 590.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you are willing to do stupid things with a 3,000 pound weapon, why would you think they are going to let you carry a 35 oz. weapon?

I think he may have a very looooooong wait ahead...
    I agree 100%

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

VIP Member
    Funny, that was one of the side effects of getting the CCW for me too. Actually a very good thing.
    skot
    Member quote

+1
    SAME HERE; I DON'T MISS THE STUPIDITY AND BUFFOONERY THAT
    OFTEN ACCOMPANIES ALL THOSE "SHENNANIGANS"

WASHINGTON DIDíNT USE HIS RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH TO DEFEAT THE BRITISH, HE SHOT THEM

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
    I agree.

I think that if you are ticketed for speeding you should lose your CCW. Or a parking ticket because that is like leaving your 3,000 pound weapon lying around in an unsafe location.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
    I am a returning student. I am 27. And I have a CCW from Florida. I am also waiting to get a Utah permit. And I will end up with a Pennsylvania permit soon.

I own the following firearms:

Glock 17
    Glock 26
    Sig P226R
    Sig P229R
    Mossberg 590.
    So once you get a car and begin driving again, if you get a speeding or parking ticket, are you going to turn in your CCW permits?

Or do you have different standards for yourself than those you place on others?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links