Practice Without Glasses

Practice Without Glasses

This is a discussion on Practice Without Glasses within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I'm sitting here a thought occurred to me. This is intended more for people who wear glasses, contacts, etc. or know people who do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practice Without Glasses

Practice Without Glasses

As I'm sitting here a thought occurred to me. This is intended more for people who wear glasses, contacts, etc. or know people who do where them. I welcome opinions even from people who are fortunate to have 20/20 vision as well.

I've been considering practicing at the range in the event I lose my glasses and I have to use my G26. This would of course only be in the event I were to lose them in some type of struggle.

Before you ask, I'm nearsighted (myopia) so I do have "fairly decent" vision during most times of the day. The only exception would be if I were to have to use my G26 when it's dark or during evening hours.

I CAN drive without my glasses. I had to do it once when someone broke my glasses and I made it home safely. But, it was during the daytime. My nearsightedness in not bad but should I consider practicing without my glasses at the range?

I welcome both positive & negative opinions? What do you think?
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

To be honest with you - I have never really considered this.

I have pretty bad astigmatism and have required glasses all my life - I am so used to wearing them that it has never really occurred to me that I may actually be in a situation where I would not wearing them. But when I think about it there would be times when that would obviously be an issue - like rocking up out of bed and being thrown straight into a defensive situation such as someone kicking a door in - reaching for a firearm would be the first choice but would thinking to grab my glasses cross my mind.

Good point - the next time on the range I am going to practice without them and get back on this subject.

Practice Without Glasses

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelicstorm View Post
    To be honest with you - I have never really considered this.

I have pretty bad astigmatism and have required glasses all my life - I am so used to wearing them that it has never really occurred to me that I may actually be in a situation where I would not wearing them. But when I think about it there would be times when that would obviously be an issue - like rocking up out of bed and being thrown straight into a defensive situation such as someone kicking a door in - reaching for a firearm would be the first choice but would thinking to grab my glasses cross my mind.

Good point - the next time on the range I am going to practice without them and get back on this subject.
    Thank you for your response. Until I suddenly realized that I might not have my "normal" vision I was concerned about how I would have to react if I did not have my glasses.

The last thing I would want to do is fire at a person/animal without having a clear image as to who or what I was firing at under the circumstances. We as CCW holders have to anticipate any circumstance we may have to discharge our respective firearm.

Since discharge of a firearm has the potential for having lethal consequences I thought it was quite appropriate.
    Glock 26

I would wear regular eye protection during th practice for protecting your eyes,and see just how well and what ranges you can effectively hit a target at
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Protective Glasses

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I would wear regular eye protection during th practice for protecting your eyes,and see just how well and what ranges you can effectively hit a target at
    I normally prefer indoor ranges where they tend to require eye protection. My primary concern was my accuracy without the benefit of my glasses. But thank you for your concern for my safety!
    Glock 26

VIP Member
    Is it necessary to practice without your glasses on, probably not. I don't see any problem with doing it though if it will help increase your confidence.

I have never been involved in a defensive shooting so can't speak from experience, but my understanding is that in a defensive shooting the person doesn't even remember using their sights. In most cases I've read about the person stated they shot instinctively.

As dukalmighty said, regardless if you shoot with your glasses or without, wear safety glasses.

Wear glasses whenever you practice, and consider training like this...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...13-2009-a.html
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

i know there is a few here that don't like them but this is one of the reasons I like lasers.

I can see far away but I cannot see close up without my glasses. I have trifocals that have a very slight, almost non-existent correction factor for distance vision. If I were to lose my glasses, I cannot focus on the sights well enough to place a shot.

My laser and my good distance vision (10 ft to infinity) will allow me to place a shot without putting an innocent bystander in harms way.

I just bought a Glock 36 and posted a thread on the member buy/sell wanting to find a used LMS-1181 laser for this firearm. Until I have a laser on it, it will not be used as a carry firearm.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

Sponsor
    Keep in mind that my prescription is minimal, I have a slight astigmatism and don't wear my glasses for much more than extended sessions on the computer.

I train without glasses but with or without glasses, training to fire from retention and instinctive point and shoot is a good idea for anyone with SD in mind. You will almost certainly have little time to acquire a good sight picture in a real world self defense scenario.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

We stole an idea from Massad Ayoob for our IDPA match. He replicated the 1986 FBI shoot out, in which the best shooter had lost his glasses in the crash. He did so by coating regular shooting glasses with acetone.

Oh, the wailing that ensued. The screaming, the rending of cloth, the spreading of ash...<g>...And every person who wore glasses came out of it saying "I need to start practicing more without my glasses."

Yes, use clear shooting glasses. Yes, practice without your prescription eyewear (I do about 20% of my shooting that way). Face it, in a fight, they are the first things gone. I don't do any distance shooting, figuring that he's close enough to knock my glasses off so he's close enough to practice retention draws on too.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Another vote for lasers. In a situation where you are unable to get a good sight picture, a laser will definitely help to get your rounds where you need them to go.
    Rob - The Erstwhile Vermont Fat Ba*d

I definitely see this as a good reason to have lasers.

I also agree with a few people earlier in that while it would be important to learn how to shoot without your glasses, instinctive shooting is what you want to aim for.

It's not quite the same.. but I'm a photographer by trade. I also teach people about it. One of the things I stress when I'm teaching is the ability to know what the camera sees without having to look through the viewfinder. We do a lot of exercises like shooting from the hip and shooting with closed eyes. After a whole lot of practise I don't need to look in the camera to know what it sees. (Incidentally, I found my knowledge in this helped me in my SD classes a whole bunch)

It's different with a gun.. but the principle is sure the same.

An exercise we were taught that we could do at home on our own (for free, rather than spending more money on ammo) was to practise with a flashlight. Just instinctive aiming. Stand in a room, pick a point, close your eyes, aim the flashlight at it, open your eyes. Doing it over and over and over until you had a really solid rate of picking the right thing.. REALLY helpful when it came to going over to the range to practise with a pistol.

A very good thread here.

I had been thinking this over, since part of defensive considerations is being woke up at night, and maybe not have a chance to strap on the glasses before defending my home.

But this is a really good idea. I am great with my glasses, but im really far sighted without them. I can see, just not see and have learned to function without glasses, I just cant see sharply. I'm going tot he range this weekend I think, im gonna go this a try.

Thanks for this heads-up! I, too, wear mine all the time and seldom think of being without them. When I am without them it isn't a good feeling.
    I will most definitely begin devoting some of my range time this weekend to bare-eyed practice (using safety glasses, of course!)

I think its a good idea to pracitce without your glasses as they very well could get broken in a fight. And if I am woken up by an intruder or other situation, more than likely I will be grabbing my glasses first. I don't have a laser on any of my guns, have been mulling this over for a while, may put one on my house gun, just for this reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links