Mtn Biking and ConcealCarry

This is a discussion on Mtn Biking and ConcealCarry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know people have considered whether you should carry while riding a bike and I have even wondered that myself. I came across this today ...

Thread: Mtn Biking and ConcealCarry

Mtn Biking and ConcealCarry

I know people have considered whether you should carry while riding a bike and I have even wondered that myself. I came across this today and it solidified that I will carry everytime I go out.

Teen arrested in man's slaying

Of course there are no details but considering I have riden those trails 100's of times and at varrying times of the day it is conceivable that I could happened upon something like this.

I just thought I would share...

2. Remove Ads

Anyone who spends much time at all on a bike, whether on trails or on the road knows that you're extremely exposed and that there are a lot of crazies out there.

I wouldn't consider not arming myself when I ride.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Anyone who spends much time at all on a bike, whether on trails or on the road knows that you're extremely exposed and that there are a lot of crazies out there.

I wouldn't consider not arming myself when I ride.
    Whenever legal, I'd agree. There's one trail I have frequented in the past that sits on elementary school property. Big bummer since it's a great MTB trail.

It's funny (and a little sobering) to think about where I used to ride as a kid (early 80s). Back then the biggest threats I ever considered were dogs on country roads, and I could usually outrun them. Not so much anymore. I'm sure there were crazies back then as well, ignorance being bliss, but these days I tell my 6 y/o he can't ride any farther than he can see the house.

I carry when I ride, but I still feel vulnerable. There is a 5 mile loop around my house I like to do (actually did it just this morning in fact). I hate the feeling that someone could be along side my path in a bush and just hit me with a bat or something. If someone wanted to do that and then rob you while you were down I'm not sure how much you'd be able to defend yourself. Not really something to dwell on though I guess. At least if they didn't knock me out they'd be in for a surprise.

Bike, scooter, moped or rollerskates, im packing. We've all heard and said it "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"

Yeah, I hear ya nlghthawk. You just never know who might be out there, and up to no good.

I ride both mountain and road bikes and haven't carried yet while riding either. Now that I have an LCP I'll try to figure out how to secure it in a Camelbak for mountain biking, but it still would take so long to get to it that it wouldn't be much good if it was needed in a split second. I'm thinking that I would pretty much have to stop, remove the Camelbak, access the zippered pocket, and draw... this could take maybe 4 or 5 seconds.

I can't really imagine packing it on a road bike except maybe in a wallet type holster, like a DeSantis Super Fly. I don't use the Camelbak while on the road bike so it would have to go in a jersey pocket... which also means it could get real sweaty!

My fiance Slickshot and I Bike almost every day (weather permitting) we both use fanny packs for this.
    I put my G23, creds, and a small flashlight in it, works well for me.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I road bike a fair amount - about 100 miles a week when the weather cooperates. I fanny pack carry every time. It doesn’t add that much weight, and if you get a good fanny pack, it’s pretty comfortable. Not the quickest presentation, but at least I’m armed.

Take a look at the new Ka-Bar "TDI" fanny pack. I bought one as soon as I figured-out how it really worked (but it took a minute or two). The only mods I've made are; added a (soldering-iron stippled) 1" black plastic ball for the zipper pull and sewed-on a bright red Rapala lure patch so it appears to hold fishing tackle. Covert, quick & well-built.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Links