Fishing and carrying

Fishing and carrying

This is a discussion on Fishing and carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am an avid fly fisherman and at the moment I usually keep my firearm in the car. Does anyone here carry while fishing? I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing and carrying

Fishing and carrying

I am an avid fly fisherman and at the moment I usually keep my firearm in the car. Does anyone here carry while fishing? I am not talking about fishing from the shore but, wading. I guess I have never tried because there's time you fall in the water and I am afraid of destroying my gun. What is the best gun for this situation? How do you carry it ? My guess on the gun would be a small frame revolver and for the holster a shoulder rig. Thoughts suggestions welcome. Thanks
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms" Thomas Jefferson

Since I've had my permit I've never been fishing without it. If you fall in, just make sure you clean and lube the gun after. I don't use waders much, generally just fish out of a boat. In that instance, I just carry as I normally would, either IWB or OWB. But for waders, it depends on how far up they go. Either a waistband or a shoulder holster would be just fine.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

VIP Member
    I think I'd go for a subcompact Glock carried in a shoulder holster. If that restricts your casting action, then a hip holster with retention strap. The Glock should be minimally effected by the water if you fall in. Just keep it oiled and wipe it down good after fishing trips.

Sure...I carry just about everywhere. I carried while fishing last week.

Quote Originally Posted by njsportsman View Post
    I am an avid fly fisherman and at the moment I usually keep my firearm in the car. Does anyone here carry while fishing? I am not talking about fishing from the shore but, wading. I guess I have never tried because there's time you fall in the water and I am afraid of destroying my gun. What is the best gun for this situation? How do you carry it ? My guess on the gun would be a small frame revolver and for the holster a shoulder rig. Thoughts suggestions welcome. Thanks

If you fall in, it won't destroy your firearm. Just clean and oil it after you get out of the water. Think of it this way, our military doesn't wage war only on dry, sunny days. They just clean, oil, and move on.
    NRA life member.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    A small stainless-steel revolver would certainly fit the description, but some autopistols are actually easier to detail-strip than most small revolvers, in the event of a dunking.

Ruger revolvers will detail-strip more handily than than most other revolvers. The SP101 is certainly a handy little gun.

For carry rigs, in synthetic materials, survivalsheath.com would be a good place to start looking, and he (Robert Humelbaugh) has an SP101 on hand. He can make you a horizontal shoulder rig, or a chest rig that carries the gun at a slight up or down angle. If you want, he can make a rig that carries a gun on one side, and whatever you send him (for molding purposes) on the other. Last I knew, he worked with Concealex, very similar to Kydex. His site described why he prefers Concealex, and my Concealex products have certainly worked well.

Leather? You will find shoulder and chest rigs all over. Chest rigs, a.k.a. tanker rigs, are available from simplyrugged.com , El Paso Saddlery, and Bob Mernickle. Rob Leahy at Simplyrugged and Bob Mernickle are notable for being very personable guys as well as excellent craftsmen. I would think a chest rig handier for fishing than a standard chest rig.

Might be silly, but just a thought: if you are that worried about getting it wet, how about putting it in a zip lock bag, in your pocket? Could always shoot through the bag if it came down to it.

Here are the guns I carry a Para Ordnance P13 and a Glock G19. The P13 not as much as the G19 anymore. I wear pants waders and wade pretty much up to my waist. Lots of times you hit something slippery and go in up to my chest. Never went completely in yet but (I know Iíll probably go all in since I said this) ,I am pretty venturous at times when see a spot I want to hit I pretty much do what it takes to get there even if means getting soaked.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms" Thomas Jefferson

I'm an avid fly fisherman and do most of it in Colorado streams and rivers. I carry a S&W M&P .40c all the time. I typically wear hip waders as opposed to chest waders, so the issue of availability is no different than when I'm not fishing --- OWB at roughly the 4 o'clock position.

As others have mentioned, getting a modern semi-auto wet is not an issue. They're made to take the abuse. I don't think it would be much of an issue for my S&W 642 either, but the semi-auto would be easier to clean and ensure that it is dry, IMO.

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

I have fallen in twice this year while cleaning the boat. First time with my Wilson CQB and a PPS. Second time with my G30 and a 342pd. When I got home, I just wiped them down, field striped them, removed the grips and drown them in WD-40. Wiped off the WD-40, let them dry awhile, relubed, reassembled.
    No Harm - Just my pride for falling off thre dock.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

My chest waders have a handy pocket with a zipper inside. My Kahr fits there nicely!
    I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.

I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

YouTube - Firing glock underwater reality bang bang bang

+

Ghost Inc. Ghost Maritime Spring Cups

As much as I hate plastic pistols, I have to recommend a Glock. I would not feel bad about dunking and shooting it full of water. I would simply avoid the situation with my 1911, Sigs, or CZ.
    What I am trying to say is that a Glock is perfect for this situation. I prize my other pistols too much to subject them to the potential mistreatment that may occur.

My .02... I carry a revolver, I carry it in a nylon shoulder rig. All of my fishing and hunting is in serious bear country up here in Alaska... so I am more worried about sheer power in the gun than most would be I imagine. I try to take the 454 Casull, but when I can't its .44 mag or even my .357 snubby. guns are fin to get wetr and will survive a week long excursion soaking wet the entire time (I know from experience). the only real issue is ruining the holster, so dont go with leather. I like nylon, but some like Kydex.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Contrary to what many gun owners (especially new ones) believe, firearms are not fragile and will not rust, corrode, fall apart or be otherwise rendered useless if they get wet.

All it takes to dealing with a wet gun is drying off and a decent cleaning and relube.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member
    I use a nylon vertical shoulder rig to carry a titanium 41 snubby. To dehumidify it, without a detail strip down, it spends a couple of hours in a warm oven. Remember to remove it before she preheats the oven for your favorite chocolate chip cookies.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links