Going to Texas

This is a discussion on Going to Texas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is going to be next summer, but I need to start thinking about it now. I will probably have to go out there for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to Texas

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Going to Texas

This is going to be next summer, but I need to start thinking about it now. I will probably have to go out there for 5 weeks for my job training for a different program we are bringing here to town at our warehouse. There is a good chance I will get promoted to lead this team.

Obviously I want to bring my 1911 with me to conceal while I am there. My concern is we are going to travel as a group and do not want to be seen checking in my firearm at the airport, has anyone else had this problem and what did you do?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Do you know anyone there, mail it to yourself.

what about shipping it to yourself care of the hotel in which you are staying? i would contact the hotel about shipping a package to the hotel in your name, id make no mention of the contents.

id only ship the package via ups or fedex overnight delivery.

What town you gonna be in you might find a forum member to receive your "BABY"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If its locked in your checked luggage, do you have to declare it?

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    While there, tell my ex-wife I said "hi". Heck, all my ex's live in Texas.

I think you still have to declare even if its locked in a case and unloaded.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanF View Post
    If its locked in your checked luggage, do you have to declare it?
    Yes.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Do you have to go to the airport with the group or just fly the same flight? I checked into many flights where myself and a colleague(s) where "travelling together" but never saw them until on the plane or sometimes getting off. So, just get there early declare/check the gun stow it in a suite case or have a cover story for your colleagues about the gun case. At the destination back just pick it up. The hard part becomes the return leg especially if you have to go en mass from a mtg/work, the hotel etc.. If you end up with some autonomy or can change the flight (warning may incur fee unless full fare refundable) you will be home free.

ETA: You can ship it to yourself at the hotel.

ATF FAQ
    (B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    Do you have to go to the airport with the group or just fly the same flight?
    ^^^^^^
    Exactly. I've traveled with my girlfriend, where we've checked into separate kiosks (the kind where you have to scan your credit card to check in). I was able to quietly tell the airline rep that I needed a firearm declaration form and my GF was none the wiser.

She's not an anti, but is not totally fond of firearms. I don't lie about it, but I also don't advertise to her if/when I carry. I would take Rolyat63's advice and try to go to the airport way early so you can check in without any co-worker's around*.

*I actually bumped into a co-worker at the airline counter a couple of weeks ago, both of us traveling to different cities but on the same airline. I don't think he overheard me declaring my firearm.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

If you're coming to the Dallas area shoot me a PM.

Pro2A, I live in Coppell, TX, 5 miles N. of DFW Airport. I'm a driver, in & out of DFW several times daily & about all over town. You're welcome to ship to me to hold.

Be sure to include 1K rounds of ammo so I can THOROUHLY test it upon arrival to make sure all is OK & safe for me to turn it over to you upon arrival. (kidding ... :)

VIP Member
    you need to get to the TSA website, as well as the website of the airline you'll be using and make sure you know every detail pertaining to checking your weapon and ammo
    print out the regs of the TSA & airline to keep on you when you're at the airport coming and going

if you prefer to ship then heck yeah, let one of us know and we'll be glad to hold it for you

PM sent
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    My concern is we are going to travel as a group and do not want to be seen checking in my firearm at the airport, has anyone else had this problem and what did you do?
    In the past I had some success by merely going behind the group, and then quietly announcing "Ma'am, I have a firearm in my luggage that I need to check. Everything seemed to work fine for a few trips until I reached a newbie clerk at Bush International Airport in Houston. After making my usual announcement, the clerk yells down the line with a voice to designed to be heard by everyone, "Hey, I have a guy here who has a gun. What am I suppose to do?"

Geez!

I'm in the McAllen Area,South Texas,15 miles from Mcallen Airport
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    In the past I had some success by merely going behind the group, and then quietly announcing "Ma'am, I have a firearm in my luggage that I need to check. Everything seemed to work fine for a few trips until I reached a newbie clerk at Bush International Airport in Houston. After making my usual announcement, the clerk yells down the line with a voice to designed to be heard by everyone, "Hey, I have a guy here who has a gun. What am I suppose to do?"

Geez!
    That sounds wildly embarrassing and something I would have likely brought up with their administration. How frightfully rude.

To the OP: if your airport is not too far out of your way and you're learning towards flying with it, I'd probably call the airline and ask to chat with them about it.. me being my paranoid - esp with travel - self, I'd request to bring in my suitcase as I intend to travel with it and have it inspected to be sure that I packed everything properly. I've never flown with a firearm, and I'm pretty sure that doing something like that would be the only way I'd manage to calm my nerves about it enough the first time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links