Florida CWL - This will chap your butt if you been waiting

This is a discussion on Florida CWL - This will chap your butt if you been waiting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work in and live just outside of Tallahassee, state capital of Florida. This is the city where all Florida Concealed Weapons License applications go ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida CWL - This will chap your butt if you been waiting

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Exclamation Florida CWL - This will chap your butt if you been waiting

I work in and live just outside of Tallahassee, state capital of Florida. This is the city where all Florida Concealed Weapons License applications go too.

About one month ago, the Department of Agriculture set up a new office location just up the street from another branch office.

Turns out this new location is an "express" licensing office. I don't know how many of these offices are being set up in Florida other than this one.

You can go there with your training documentation, identification, check book and you can apply for your CWL in person. They do your fingerprints, take your photo, take your check for $117 and you fill out the application right there on a computer.

Once finished, about 30 minutes total, you are done and are told your license should arrive in two weeks if you are not denied.

I know people who applied in December of 2008 still don't have their licenses!!

So, all you folks out there still waiting have to wait while others, just now applying, can get theirs in two weeks.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Can you cancel your original app and just go there?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    Can you cancel your original app and just go there?
    I wondered that too. I doubt it though as current applications are "pending".

As to my knowledge, which is little more than I have stated, non-resident does not go through this "express" process either.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I work in and live just outside of Tallahassee, state capital of Florida. This is the city where all Florida Concealed Weapons License applications go too.

About one month ago, the Department of Agriculture set up a new office location just up the street from another branch office.

Turns out this new location is an "express" licensing office. I don't know how many of these offices are being set up in Florida other than this one.

You can go there with your training documentation, identification, check book and you can apply for your CWL in person. They do your fingerprints, take your photo, take your check for $117 and you fill out the application right there on a computer.

Once finished, about 30 minutes total, you are done and are told your license should arrive in two weeks if you are not denied.

I know people who applied in December of 2008 still don't have their licenses!!

So, all you folks out there still waiting have to wait while others, just now applying, can get theirs in two weeks.
    Wow... I applied in Feb and just got it today

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I'am glad you did, you had a LONG wait. I applied after you and received mine July 6th.

Congrats!
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

it is worth it to drive to Tallahassee from South Florida just for simple fact I won't have to wait for months.

road trip.

is there a link to find out where these "express" check outs are located or will be located?

jbs
    This is a DOA branch office. They're set up in each county I believe. They do all the initial stuff there and send off the info for the background checks. If the prints come back no good, they have no-one else but themselves to blame. The sherriffs stations live scan machines have been having problems, even here in okaloosa where we have 2 while they try to limit each county to 1.
    Should be why the timelines are getting shorter - less stack of paperwork at the main office.

Edited: offices in regions, not each county

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/staff/regions.html
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Tell me about it! I applied in January and they just put it in the mail today! 200+ days!

Well for the ones that are going to get their carry permit this is good to hear, and for the ones that are still waiting, I hate to hear that yall are having to wait so long.... Be patient!!!

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    I feel bad for the people that are still pending, but this should take a lot of the load in the future. If the big cities are going this route, even though rural areas are still using mail, their times will get better too since they are not competing with the big cities as much. This is definitely the way to go, and will mean a lot more citizens for the BG's to be mortally afraid of.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Thumbs down no go on changing CCW app

I called the new CCW local office to check on going in in person for the quickie application and told them i had sent in my app one day before and they said no way to stop or intercept mailed app so i'll just get in line with the rest of the unlucky and uninformed.

I literally just got off the phone with the Tallahassee contact number for CCW applications (850) 245-5691. The wait was 14 minutes, and they only ask for your social and confirm your name.

The operator informed me that they were processing applications received in MAY!! and that I have another month wait or so. I mailed mine out on 07/19/2009. You know what that means....

So much for the 90 days policy stated in the law....

How hard can it be to process an application.....

I just wanted to give anyone else in this situation a benchmark on their wait....

Hope their stll open in 2012 ;-)
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I mailed mine off on the 10th, they cashed my check yesterday. Get this, the regional office is in Jacksonville! I could have driven over there in 10 minutes.....
    Jamie

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Geez, I'm amazed at the wait times now. When I got my Fla CCW permit 3 years ago, it only took 60 days. I applied for my home state, Nevada, Fla, and Utah, all on the same day (Nevada in person, Fla & Utah by mail). Utah took 30 days, Fla 60, Nevada 90. I joked for a month that I could carry in over 30 states, but not at home. Then again, I was fortunate getting Nevada in 90 days. Shortly after I got NV, Clark County started taking all of the 120 days allowed by law, and frequently taking longer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links