Carry in an airport?

This is a discussion on Carry in an airport? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in florida and I am picking someone up at the airport. The Florida Statues say CC is prohibited in "sterile areas / passenger ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry in an airport?

Carry in an airport?

I live in florida and I am picking someone up at the airport. The Florida Statues say CC is prohibited in "sterile areas / passenger terminals". I am assuming that is beyond the screening area. If I will only be in the other areas, front lobby, baggage claim, etc... can I carry? Should I? I could just leave it locked in the car.

2. Remove Ads

You can carry in the part of the terminal prior to going into the secure area
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Unfortunatey, Duka is incorrect. In the book "Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership" Edition April 2009 on page 94 it states quote...

"Last, but not least, your CWP does not permit you to carry anywhere inside the terminal - including the baggage area unless it is a completely seperate building from the terminal. You can carry in most airport parking garages since they are separate from the terminal building."

If you want to know where you CAN and CAN'T carry in the state of Florida, with everything inbetween, I highly suggest you get this book. It is bible of gun ownership in our state. Once your read it you'll be glad you did. So... leave it in the car.

ORLANDO GUN, WEAPON, & SELF DEFENSE LAWYER JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq. | Florida Firearms Law Book

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaber View Post
    Unfortunatey, Duka is incorrect. In the book "Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership" Edition April 2009 on page 94 it states quote...

"Last, but not least, your CWP does not permit you to carry anywhere inside the terminal - including the baggage area unless it is a completely seperate building from the terminal. You can carry in most airport parking garages since they are separate from the terminal building."

If you want to know where you CAN and CAN'T carry in the state of Florida, with everything inbetween, I highly suggest you get this book. It is bible of gun ownership in our state. Once your read it you'll be glad you did. So... leave it in the car.

ORLANDO GUN, WEAPON, & SELF DEFENSE LAWYER JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq. | Florida Firearms Law Book
    I agree, i am into chapter 11 now, it has taught me SO much! Its a MUST read for anyone in Florida. If you are going to own or carry, its the bible for you. He explains everything in terms us plain, non-lawyer folk can understand. lol
    Jamie

I wasn't sure the "should" factor was pushing me to take no chances. I appreciate the info and the book reference...

Quote Originally Posted by jsnole View Post
    I agree, i am into chapter 11 now, it has taught me SO much! Its a MUST read for anyone in Florida. If you are going to own or carry, its the bible for you. He explains everything in terms us plain, non-lawyer folk can understand. lol

does anyone know if there is a book like this for texas? i've looked thru the texas rules and the lawyer talk gets confuseing sometimes. i'd like them to explain it in simpler terms.

Great Book

Quote Originally Posted by jsnole View Post
    I am on my third read just now and am also on Chapter 11 again. Great Book.

Regards
    Rick
    "Fail Your Way To Success"
    "A Goal without a Plan, is Just a Dream"
    "Age and treachery will win over Youth and Enthusiasm"

Same for me, I would like to know if there is a book for the TN laws,
    I would like to stay on top of the laws and regulations as well

To my knowledge... there is nothing as detailed and accurate as Jon Gutmacher's book on Florida gun laws, for other states.

The NRA produces a book for gun laws in all 50 states however, Mr. Gutmacher updates his book annually and truly is "The Bible" for Florida State Gun Laws.

I certainly wish there was one for Missouri law as well.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'm sorry I was having a case of I forgot where I was,In Tx we can ,I ass-umed that you could in Florida since I would think all airports are the same.I stand humbled before thee
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    To my knowledge... there is nothing as detailed and accurate as Jon Gutmacher's book on Florida gun laws, for other states.

The NRA produces a book for gun laws in all 50 states however, Mr. Gutmacher updates his book annually and truly is "The Bible" for Florida State Gun Laws.

I certainly wish there was one for Missouri law as well.
    Actually he updates his book twice a year, plus there are free online updates at his website, and he has a blog he runs where people pose questions. I only know because I have taken advantage of all three. I have emailed him several persoanl questions / scenarios and he has actually answered me in less than 24 hours, free of charge! Per Mr. Gutmacher, if you have a book that is more than a year old, you have an old book since he updates so much, so frequently. I guess we really are lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaber View Post

So then Tampa airport would be fine as the actual terminals are separate buildings with a tram running between them and the "main" terminal with ticketing and baggage, etc.

All,

Check out gunlaws.com. Alan Korwin puts out several book explaining state gun laws for a lot of different states. I know there's a book for Texas, one for Virginia, and there are many others.

Hope that's helpful.
    Rob - The Erstwhile Vermont Fat Ba*d

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    So then Tampa airport would be fine as the actual terminals are separate buildings with a tram running between them and the "main" terminal with ticketing and baggage, etc.
    Nope. Leave your gun in the car unless you plan to check it and then it must be securely encased. The paragraph below is directly from the FL Statutes. Click the link in below and search for the word airport.

Florida's statutes used to allow carry in the terminal just not past the security check point into the sterile area.

(12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links