Yes, I carry at work -without permission.

This is a discussion on Yes, I carry at work -without permission. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Czampion Good, solid replies. Thanks you folks. There is no illegality involved here, just an atmosphere of 2A intolerance, truly. In Alaska ...

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes, I carry at work -without permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Czampion View Post
    Good, solid replies. Thanks you folks. There is no illegality involved here, just an atmosphere of 2A intolerance, truly. In Alaska it is not a violation of law for me to carry at my place of employment. It is acknowledged that our visitors have the right to do so. Someone here stated that just as I have a right to refuse an individual carrying a weapon entrance to my home, so can my employer. In this case, my employer is an educational institution. Much federal and state, research (and tuition) monies are what keep the institution afloat. I am not violating anyone's individual "Castle Doctrine" by carrying here.
    Are you sure about this? What about Alaska Statute 11.61.190?

Sec. 11.61.190. Misconduct involving weapons in the first degree.

(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the first degree if the person

(1) uses or attempts to use a firearm during the commission of an offense under AS 11.71.010 - 11.71.040; or

(2) discharges a firearm from a propelled vehicle while the vehicle is being operated and under circumstances manifesting substantial and unjustifiable risk of physical injury to a person or damage to property.

(b) Misconduct involving weapons in the first degree is a class A felony.

Sec. 11.61.195. Misconduct involving weapons in the second degree.

(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the second degree if the person knowingly

(1) possesses a firearm during the commission of an offense under AS 11.71.010 - 11.71.040;

(2) violates AS 11.61.200 (a)(1) and is within the grounds of or on a parking lot immediately adjacent to

(A) a public or private preschool, elementary, junior high, or secondary school without the permission of the chief administrative officer of the school or district or the designee of the chief administrative officer; or

(B) an entity, other than a private residence, licensed as a child care facility under AS 47.32 or recognized by the federal government for the care of children; or

(3) discharges a firearm at or in the direction of

(A) a building with reckless disregard for a risk of physical injury to a person; or

(B) a dwelling.

(b) Misconduct involving weapons in the second degree is a class B felony.

Maybe I'm wrong, but don't you need permission to be armed on a school campus like the campus police are?

2. Remove Ads

Whatever.

Life is about choices. Your little act of rebellion has a couple of outcomes. You will remain undiscovered (unlikely) or you will be discovered and the result will be as you state.

When you are fired you will then have to live with the fact that you created the situation, your family is now angry with you for doing so, you will have problems supporting your family financially, and you will have a blemish on your work record which you CANNOT EVER erase. Good luck finding future employment.

Perhaps this might help:

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    It makes me angry to hear folks here at the forums advising other law-abiding, card-carrying, like-minded, decent people to honor the wishes of their employer at all personal cost
    Carrying is a deeply personal decision. I respect others ability to make it themselves. After all, they are the ones who have to deal with the consequences...

I do not seem to read in the OP post that his employer has actually said "no Guns". I am reading into that, they don't like guns and if caught he thinks they would fire him because of their anti gun stance. No where in his post does he say it is the "policy" of no carry. Sounds to me like he is taking a stand to carry because he feels it is his right and he is willing to take the risk of becoming unemployed by doing so.

Czampion, correct me if I am wrong in saying they have not made it a company policy.

Anyway if they have not stated the policy indeed, then I say carry, do what you feel is right for you and then take the consequences if found out. I will say this. I have taught my children all my life to take a stand even if they are the only one standing if they have belief in what they are doing. I carry everyday in my job even though there is NO policy whatsoever, however, if my upper bosses (not my immediate boss because he is very pro gun, and probably feels that I carry since we have discussed him taking a CC class and what type of gun he likes and I like etc.) although he would not know for sure since I havn't told him but it might would be frowned upon if the upper management knew it.

But until i'm told I can not carry then my concealment is my business and mine alone.

You have got to stand for something or you will fall for anything!
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Quote Originally Posted by grandma4 View Post
    I do not seem to read in the OP post that his employer has actually said "no Guns". I am reading into that, they don't like guns and if caught he thinks they would fire him because of their anti gun stance. No where in his post does he say it is the "policy" of no carry. Sounds to me like he is taking a stand to carry because he feels it is his right and he is willing to take the risk of becoming unemployed by doing so.
    He's an unarmed security guard for a university that already has armed campus police officers.

This is why folks should be careful of what they put on message boards. Just one step closer to discovery.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    The company I currently work for has it in their employee handbook that weapons are not permitted on company property.... I have wondered what will be said when someone notices me OC'ing between work and home in clothing with the companies name on it....
    Our parent company handbook says no weapons while conducting company business. I guess working from home is exempt. Carrying off company property is OK. It seems what people have to say about it is just talk.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I like your attitude. As far as you're concerned, it's sorta like "Don't ask, don't tell.". It's really no one's business but yours.

I hope the day never comes when you have to be the one to save the & I also hope the day never comes when you are outed.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Distinguished Member
    Some facilities of the parent company are illegal to carry. Discovery of a weapon would have labor consequences that may halt operations due to historic tragedy and traditional response.
    So you have to consider the big picture. Company policy has its own history. If you know you are right and what you are risking, then you can decide. But be sure to investigate because you don't want to cost your company more than you are possibly worth.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Czampion View Post
    If it was discovered that I carry at work I would be reprimanded (if not immediately fired) and later fired for unrealted reasons based on this institution's hatred of guns and those who carry them.
    +1...I'm in the same boat. I don't have a Colorado permit yet, but once I do, I plan to carry even though I'm not supposed to.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You cannot put all states in the same category here. Texas signs may make it illegal, but Florida signs mean nothing and you would NOT be breaking the law by CCW by ignoring a sign (until discovered and 'refusing' to leave). I'm not sure about signs in Alaska.
    You are absolutely correct. My mistake. I am so used to it being a "no grey area" here in Texas. Sorry for the wrong conclusion.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

VIP Member
    Are you required to have a license as a security officer? If you are only licensed as a unarmed security officer, you maybe breaking the law by carrying while employed under your license. Check to make sure, otherwise it's your decision...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I can tell you who gave your boss permission to make those decisions for you. You did when you accepted employment. Every time you cash a check from your employer you agree, again, to abide by his terms until you cash another. If you hired a housekeeper and told her you didn't want her carrying in your home for whatever reason was rational to you would you fire her if she did? If you made the same statement to your boss you made in the post the situation would be immediately resolved one way or another and you'd be able to carry 24/7. At your next job interview you could then make it clear carrying a weapon is a condition of employment and this won't become an issue.

I carry everyday at work. My employer doesn't have a weapons policy, but I believe if he found out he would create an anti-gun policy. Utah is an "at will" state, so he can fire me for any reason, at any time. I still cary daily, even while driving a company vehicle. I figure if I'm gonna lose my job, I'd rather lose it with my head held high.

As long as no laws are broken, carry at your own convenience. My convenience is EVERYWHERE LEGAL and I hope you exercise your rights in a similar fashion.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

You eat the King's salt, you follow the King's regulations. It has been the rule for centuries and it will, in all liklihood, remain the rule for centuries more. All else is vanity in the wind.

The NRA is not going to march on your employer tommorrow in honor of your determination to project your rights. you will just be unemployed. There are places to fight the fight, but the workplace has too many negative consequences to fight it there.

For thirty years, as a Marine, carrying a gun in the combat area to kill people for the "King" , I had to live with the fact that I couldn't carry a gun for the protection of myself and my own family aboard base. The modern America (even before the current administration) has not been able to handle Strong Individuals well.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Links