Yes, I carry at work -without permission. - Page 4

Yes, I carry at work -without permission.

This is a discussion on Yes, I carry at work -without permission. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Czampion - Good for you! Like you said you are breaking no laws. They have a policy . Are they going to walk you to ...

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes, I carry at work -without permission.

Czampion - Good for you! Like you said you are breaking no laws. They have a policy.

Are they going to walk you to your car after hours? LOL. Most places expect you to die like a coward and not fight back even with your fists - because - your dead body assures them that you caused the company no liability by causing an injury to your attacker.

Quote Originally Posted by Czampion View Post
    I carry a full-sized concealed pistol day-in and day-out at my place of employment. If it was discovered that I carry at work I would be reprimanded (if not immediately fired) and later fired for unrealted reasons based on this institution's hatred of guns and those who carry them. Still, I carry.

Who was it that decided I must place my personal security in the hands of my employer nine-hours-per-day when my employer's standards fall far short of my own? Is it not enough that I do my job and do it well? Is it not enough that I am professional and enhance the environment in which I work with a strong work ethic and engaging manner? It's no crime federally or locally for me to carry at work. I could not be criminally trespassed for carrying at work because I have every reason to be there; they depend on me!

I am insulted that I am expected to leave an essential part of my life at home so as not to scare my fellow employees. It is those employees who may one day remain alive because someone like me was there to put up a real defense when the SHTF. Many people on this very site have expressed their feelings that it is dishonest for me to carry at work when my employer doesn't wish me to be armed. I never signed a form that flatly stated "I will not carry a gun at work." I never told my employer I wouldn't carry. I just DO carry. I've never drawn, fired or even told anyone at work that I carry a firearm. Accidental physical contact may one day reveal that something's hiding out under the shirt but no one will ever know for sure aside from an actual violent encounter in the workplace at which point I will not hesitate to stop an attacker.

It makes me angry to hear folks here at the forums advising other law-abiding, card-carrying, like-minded, decent people to honor the wishes of their employer at all personal cost. That is not a community that supports the freedoms of its members. We must be wise in our choices but we must also learn to take responsibility for the life God has given us and not be cowed into total submission to the pseudo-authority of those who use our strength, time and services for financial gain. I like my boss but I'm glad he doesn't have the final say in my personal safety.
    Holy Crap! I could not possibly agree more with you than I do right now!

Very well said Sir! Very Well Said!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

AMEN!!!
    IMA

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    good for you i support that 100 percent and i probably will do the same thing when i get a job
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I agree with the OP. If it is legal to carry there, then I see no problem. His employer probably has the right to check if he has a weapon when he comes on to the property and to trespass him if he does. If they are not exercising this right, who's fault is that?

Rights are things that you can do. He has the right to carry; they have the right to check. What is the problem?

kpw
    My company has a no weapons policy. No knives, firearms, mace, nightsticks or any other dangerous impliments. All the companies I've worked for have a very similar policy. 3/4 of the employees would have to be fired for the knives clipped in their pocket or on their belts. How many of the folks here with integrity are guilty of breaking that company rule? I'd bet a lot more than will admit to it.

My state, like others, has no legal requirement for obeying no carry signs or policies. I carry in stores, malls and any other place that is legal to do so, sign or policy, I don't care. My integrity, when it comes to my self-preservation, tells me to obey the laws of my state. No more. If I choose to carry at work, it is with the full understanding of what the consequences could be, if discovered. It seems the OP has the same understanding. I'd be lacking integrity if I chose to do so by some of the standards stated here? I can live with that.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by tbmccord View Post
    I work for an employer that does post the legal signs that restrict access with a firearm. It is my choice to follow that requirement, especially in this economy. I have 20 years in the semiconductor industry and am less than 10 years from retirement (if that industry holds out that long). With the position I have attained, it would be difficult to impossible to find anything that paid as well, at least until something changes in the world economy.
    Wow, that's surprising! I have yet to see more that one place with a 30.06 sign here in Austin.

I have seen a bunch of gunbusters signs, and other junk, but luckily that doesn't matter in Texas!
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

In reply: 1. I work at a "post-secondary" institution so law doesn't prohibit me carrying at work. 2. I am not a licensed security officer; I am merely a hired guard. 3. There is no policy I have been shown regarding carrying at my place of employment. It may exist -if so, I have not found it.

After posting this message and reading some of your replies I felt like an a-hole all day at work for carrying without permission.

I still carried.

kpw
    After posting this message and reading some of your replies I felt like an a-hole all day at work for carrying without permission.

I still carried.
    Don't let negative comments posted on a forum wreck your day. We all just post opinions here, nothing more. Take them with a grain of salt and go with what you feel is right for you.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

In reply: 1. I work at a "post-secondary" institution so law doesn't prohibit me carrying at work. 2. I am not a licensed security officer; I am merely a hired guard. 3. There is no policy I have been shown regarding carrying at my place of employment. It may exist -if so, I have not found it.

I still carried.
    Why don't you apply for a job with the campus police then. That way you can be armed. Who employs the armed campus police? Is it that same gun hating university?

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I would seriously consider changing from a full size gun to a smaller size, just to decrease the chance of discovery. Pocket carry or Smartcarry would give you greater concealment. I use my Glock 26 as a pocket gun, and it works just fine. Pocket carry makes your gun easier to reach should you need it in a hurry. As for whether or not you should carry at work, my opinion is that it's your business, not mine. For me, I have to be very concerned about protecting a job. I've been out of work all of 2009, so you can bet I'm not going to chance losing a job in the future. Heck, I was once fired from a job because I looked at gun sites on the internet!

Life is full of decisions.

Some are easy, others are difficult.

As I see it this is one of the more difficult decisions. Either option could potentially result in a devastating, heartbreaking situation for you and your family and leave you wondering "could I have avoided this"

I commend you on making a difficult decision and sticking to your guns (no pun intended)
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

I work for a local municipality and I have read the employee handbook. You would think weapons on property would be against policy, but there is no mention of weapons at all. My boss is a pro gun guy and most of the folks working here are pro gun. Every single person at my location has owned at least one handgun. I'm sure if anything was ever brought up about it officially there would be a no weapons policy, but until then it's the don't ask, don't tell policy. Works out just fine for me.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlis View Post
    I do have to say that hearing stories like this make me extremely thankful that my workplace not only does not mind OC/CC but encourages it. (If one of our employees expresses a sincere desire to obtain CC permit we'll arrange the class)

I do think there's a big, big difference between 1) a company legally stating no-firearms and having it then be of legal consequence 2) company policy against firearms that is not legally binding 3) no policy but knowing the company would find a different, valid reason for termination due to their general opinion on firearms.
    Wow thats interesting, you must work for one of the most gun friendly companies around. I'd ask who you work for but it probbaly would be best if you didn't say. Of course I am sure those that have posted here that they would not work for a company that did not allow concealed carry would be interested in know where they should apply.

I've done exactly what you're doing. The difference is that I knew what I was doing and why I was doing it and the risk involved and took that risk without whining about what my employer thought. If it means more to you to carry a gun than it does to work for the company paying you my advice is go for it. Problem is that most of us have the job we have because, for one reason or another, it's the best we can get. If your options are such that this isn't a factor more power to you.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links