Yes, I carry at work -without permission.

This is a discussion on Yes, I carry at work -without permission. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a full-sized concealed pistol day-in and day-out at my place of employment. If it was discovered that I carry at work I would ...

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes, I carry at work -without permission.

Yes, I carry at work -without permission.

I carry a full-sized concealed pistol day-in and day-out at my place of employment. If it was discovered that I carry at work I would be reprimanded (if not immediately fired) and later fired for unrealted reasons based on this institution's hatred of guns and those who carry them. Still, I carry.

Who was it that decided I must place my personal security in the hands of my employer nine-hours-per-day when my employer's standards fall far short of my own? Is it not enough that I do my job and do it well? Is it not enough that I am professional and enhance the environment in which I work with a strong work ethic and engaging manner? It's no crime federally or locally for me to carry at work. I could not be criminally trespassed for carrying at work because I have every reason to be there; they depend on me!

I am insulted that I am expected to leave an essential part of my life at home so as not to scare my fellow employees. It is those employees who may one day remain alive because someone like me was there to put up a real defense when the SHTF. Many people on this very site have expressed their feelings that it is dishonest for me to carry at work when my employer doesn't wish me to be armed. I never signed a form that flatly stated "I will not carry a gun at work." I never told my employer I wouldn't carry. I just DO carry. I've never drawn, fired or even told anyone at work that I carry a firearm. Accidental physical contact may one day reveal that something's hiding out under the shirt but no one will ever know for sure aside from an actual violent encounter in the workplace at which point I will not hesitate to stop an attacker.

It makes me angry to hear folks here at the forums advising other law-abiding, card-carrying, like-minded, decent people to honor the wishes of their employer at all personal cost. That is not a community that supports the freedoms of its members. We must be wise in our choices but we must also learn to take responsibility for the life God has given us and not be cowed into total submission to the pseudo-authority of those who use our strength, time and services for financial gain. I like my boss but I'm glad he doesn't have the final say in my personal safety.

2. Remove Ads

VERY good post... I agree 100%...
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Here's my take, if there was a business that didnt allow me to enter with a firearm then I wouldnt give them my money. I would find another place that would allow CC or OC.

For me this applies to the job-force as well. If my employer had a policy of NO FIREARMS then I wouldnt work there. Doesnt make it fair or doesnt mean I like the policy. But I will abide by it in one manner or another.

Thats just me, you are free to do as you will. Just remember if you are caught with a weapon the repurcustions that you and yours will face. And if I was going to go against this policy, I would probably use a small Pocket Gun.....

One problem in todays job market is some people are looking for jobs anywhere they can find them and even tho I totally agree with you,them losing their job means bills don't get paid food don't get bought etc.I might take a job that was anti gun workplace ,but I would be looking for another job that allowed concealed carry
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If your employer has LEGALLY posted signs, you are not only going against the wishes of you employer, you are breaking the law. Just my opinion, but I would not break the law and risk losing my right to carry in legal places. Ours is a revokable right. With the conditions for obtaining and retaining that right requiring a clean police record, I would not chance it.

I work for an employer that does post the legal signs that restrict access with a firearm. It is my choice to follow that requirement, especially in this economy. I have 20 years in the semiconductor industry and am less than 10 years from retirement (if that industry holds out that long). With the position I have attained, it would be difficult to impossible to find anything that paid as well, at least until something changes in the world economy.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

I also agree with your decision, but what you will find throughout this forum, are members who will not encourage you to break the law...you are obviously not doing that....

Others may have concerns in this economy, that taking such chances must be considered if having to find another job could mean a hardship to one's family...we all have to make those decisions.
    I would do the same as you in your situation.

I work in a school environment, although many (admin, many staff, and even our LE) would not have a problems with CCW, the GunShine State makes it a crime to have weapons in the building or even in the car if parked on school property while working in the building ('drive throughs' picking up or dropping off are fine).

It sounds like you have covered your bases...no one knows and you don't talk about it. As soon as you share with one...it will no longer be a secret. Even a good friend you trust could/would eventually let it slip out.

Enjoy AK and the sunshine/darkenss of Fairbanks. We lived in AK for 7 years and enjoyed every day of it.

Stay armed...keep it a 100 % secret...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tbmccord View Post
    If your employer has LEGALLY posted signs, you are not only going against the wishes of you employer, you are breaking the law. Just my opinion, but I would not break the law and risk losing my right to carry in legal places. Ours is a revokable right. With the conditions for obtaining and retaining that right requiring a clean police record, I would not chance it.

I work for an employer that does post the legal signs that restrict access with a firearm. It is my choice to follow that requirement, especially in this economy. I have 20 years in the semiconductor industry and am less than 10 years from retirement (if that industry holds out that long). With the position I have attained, it would be difficult to impossible to find anything that paid as well, at least until something changes in the world economy.
    You cannot put all states in the same category here. Texas signs may make it illegal, but Florida signs mean nothing and you would NOT be breaking the law by CCW by ignoring a sign (until discovered and 'refusing' to leave). I'm not sure about signs in Alaska.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you are following all applicable state and federal laws, including any company policies (in Texas, written or unwritten company policies can prohibit the carrying of guns by employees; Alaska is likely friendlier), then you are just fine, risking only the tactics you anticipate if discovered.

If you violating any of the above, then that's a risk you take, and sorry, you're then in the criminal category (albeit yet undiscovered). But it's your choice to work there or not.

Favorites: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier."
    Admiral Gary Roughead, CNO: "I never, ever, want to see my sailors or Marines in a fair fight."

As long as you are legal doing so, I see no problem with it. Due to my job I would be violating federal laws if I carried concealed at work, so I don't (I do openly carry full auto's at work though, ironic, huh?).

When I hit the civilian job market, I am going to defend myself to the upmost of my ability at my job, and if my prospective employer has a problem with that, then I wont be working for them.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    As long as you are violating no state or federal law I have no problem with you carrying. Company policy is just that, company policy. As you stated at the start of your post, if you get made you will be terminated from your job. If your willing to accept that risk, then do what you feel you must do.

The company I currently work for has it in their employee handbook that weapons are not permitted on company property. The type of work I'm doing makes it almost impossible to conceal anyway. Luckily for me there is an open parking lot just off company property so I am able to travel to and from work armed. I have wondered what will be said when someone notices me OC'ing between work and home in clothing with the companies name on it. The clothing belongs to me, it is required wear that we are required to purchase.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    You won't like my answer but it's a matter of integrity. If you know your employer doesn't allow it and that's their legal right then it's a lack of integrity and character to carry anyway. I don't have a right to come into your home and assert my will because I think I'm wright and your wrong.

You don't have a right to agree to the terms and conditions of employment, accept a check, and then go against their rights on their property. It's wrong, it'll always be wrong and it's a faulty arguement to claim some kind of supperior right.

If you don't like their policy, get another job.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    You won't like my answer but it's a matter of integrity. If you know your employer doesn't allow it and that's their legal right then it's a lack of integrity and character to carry anyway. I don't have a right to come into your home and assert my will because I think I'm wright and your wrong.

You don't have a right to agree to the terms and conditions of employment, accept a check, and then go against their rights on their property. It's wrong, it'll always be wrong and it's a faulty arguement to claim some kind of supperior right.

I agree.

When you accept that paycheck, you agree not only to provide a service to the company, you also agree to abide by their terms and conditions. I imagine that they have a policy against stealing company property too. Is that also open to your own personal interpretation?

Either find another employer, or abide by their rules.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    My employer has no written policy so I carry everyday. Now, if I were to get complacent in my cover up and they find out, I'm not sure how they would feel. I know many others I work with are gun people and have permits but not sure if they carry or not. I know that one of the owners has a Glock in his desk so I guess if he can, why shouldnt I? The bottom line is, I dont have specific permission to carry and I dont want to be the one to help write new policy. Sometimes its better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Here's my take on the subject.

I used to park my pistols in my safe in my truck. Until one day when my supervisor paged me to the front of our office lobby. As I approached the front I noticed a strange looking individual standing inside the doorway and really didn't think anything more of it, other than the guy looked kinda ruff. The guy didn't see me walk up until I said something to my supervisor. When they guy turned and saw me standing there, I noticed he was startled by my presence which I thought was odd. He was a little fella a little smaller than my supervisor, but as I was walking up no body was sayin anything, so I thought the guy was there to see me. ?

When I got there my boss started to say something to the guy about he needed to leave the building and not come back. The guy looked at me and said he was sorry and he would leave no problem. I looked at my supervisor as the guy walked out the door and ask him, what's that all about. He said the receptionist accidently let the guy in and he wouldn't leave. Here's where I got a little jacked up. My supervisor used me without my knowledge to intimidate a potentially dangerous individual. What's sad about this is he's done it a couple of times before and I never put it together until that day. The other times he had done it, I didn't question it because he covered it like I was needed to help him look at the security cameras or some other BS reason that didn't really point to any threat.

That was when I made the decision to carry my deep cover pistol in and at the office regardless of their approval. He was willing to place my life in direct harms way without giving me any alert to what I might be walkin into. MY respect level for him dropped several degrees that day. What really psses me off more than anything is, he had a 642 in his pocket the whole time. But, here's the kinda guy he is. He's got a 642 with ball ammo in it. I ask why he doesn't have a better round for the .38 and he said he only needs 1 round. Don't we all....

I say, carry it if you feel the need, but keep it for what it is. Your secret weapon.
    Last edited by gottabkiddin; August 23rd, 2009 at 10:16 AM. Reason: In case he's a member....lol
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post

I completely agree.

I find it ironic that people who are so protective of ther individual rights have no problem violating the rights of others.

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Links