Public School Carry?

Public School Carry?

This is a discussion on Public School Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems clear you cannot carry at any school. Can you carry and leave it locked in your car, in Florida? What about other states?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Public School Carry?

Public School Carry?

It seems clear you cannot carry at any school. Can you carry and leave it locked in your car, in Florida? What about other states?

In South Carolina, you can now have it in, and leave it locked in, your car if you have a Concealed Weapons Permit.

Best not to carry to school

I am not an attorney, but Florida Statue 790.06(12) states:

"No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any . . . public school district, municipality, or special district; . . . any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; . . . any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile . . . "

I believe that some school districts even prohibit the carrying of a gun locked in the trunk.

I am not sure if you can drop off/pick up your child at school with a gun in the car.

Best to be careful.
    NRA Life member
    USCCA member
    A muscle not exercised will eventually atrophy.
    A right not exercised will eventually be taken away!

VIP Member
    Virginia you can carry while dropping off and picking up I believe, you may not leave your vehicle though.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    It seems clear you cannot carry at any school. Can you carry and leave it locked in your car, in Florida? What about other states?
    In Florida you cannot have a weapon on school grounds except if picking up or dropping off someone, there is an authorized event related to firearms OR the local school district has adopted an exemption for parking privileges. And I highly doubt it. According to Federal law, you cannot be within a 1000 feet of a school with firearm unless you have a permit or license. So basically, all this no guns on school property is a bunch of state crap. A common pocketknife and small OC can are allowed. Colleges are another thing.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Minnesota if you have a carry permit you can leave it in your vehicle on school grounds. If not, stay 1000' away.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Quote Originally Posted by RmScadd View Post
    I am not an attorney, but Florida Statue 790.06(12) states:

"No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any . . . public school district, municipality, or special district; . . . any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; . . . any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile . . . "

I believe that some school districts even prohibit the carrying of a gun locked in the trunk.

I am not sure if you can drop off/pick up your child at school with a gun in the car.

Best to be careful.
    The previous posts regarding Florida law are ALL wrong information. If you are a Florida CWP holder, unless your school district (not the principal) has passed, adopted and publishes a written policy forbidding it, Florida statute F.S. 790.115(2)(a)(3) allows (and your CWP exempts you from Federal law 18 USC 922q) so that you are legal to have a gun in your car (does not have to be in the trunk) as long as it's securely encased or not readily available. Wandering the grounds is tenuous at best, but going in a building is definately a big no no.

Again, CMB... this is why I told you to get the book on Florida Firearms law. It is clearly spelled out in chapter eight.

PA does not allow carry on school property, including grounds, even if you have a permit. It becomes a real pain when I have to pick one of my kids up unexpectedly.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    In South Carolina, you can now have it in, and leave it locked in, your car if you have a Concealed Weapons Permit.
    If FL would even do this, I'd feel much better...not great, but much better than leaving it at home.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well it's brand new here. Just signed by the "Love Gov" this past Summer.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    In Michigan a CPL holder is permitted to carry a weapon on their person inside the vehicle while picking up or dropping off a student. Leaving the privacy of your vehicle, it better be let behind.Going inside the building the law states CPL holders can Open Carry in CEZ's unless otherwise posted.
    Haven't seen a school anywhere around here that didn't have it posted.
    This year will be DD's last year of Middle School, the high school she will e going to next year is equipped with metal detectors.
    No carry at school events off school propery either.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Colorado allows you to have a gun in your car on the school parking lot.

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    California allows CCW holders to carry at public schools.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

In Texas, I believe you can leave it in your car if you have to go inside, or you can CC if you're dropping/picking up child. Now if you are employed by school district and park in campus parking lot, you might want to check with your employer or better yet your attorney, in case something happens in the future.

Utah here.

State laws allow permitted carriers to carry at both primary and secondary schools when they are state-sponsored schools. (This includes the county school districts for primary school.)

So, I can pick up my kids while carrying, and go inside and have a chat with their teachers, even though the sign on the outside of the building says No Firearms.

Private schools can make their own rules, so if I attended, say, BYU, that would be a no-go. The Church that owns BYU also disallows carry in Sunday services.

The state universities tried to assert that they can forbid students from carrying a while back, but the state legislators smacked them down on that, and permitted carriers are fine there.

Likewise, the state universities tried to say that students in campus housing can't have firearms in the dorms, and they got smacked down again. Students can have legal firearms in dorms.

There was one concession to the anti-gunners at the unis though: If you're a student who lives on campus, you can request that you get a roommate who DOES NOT have a concealed permit.

My source: "Utah Gun Law", Mitch Vilos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links