Slightly sticky MI carry question

This is a discussion on Slightly sticky MI carry question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been trying to find some info on this, but thus far have not .. so I figured I'd ask here. I live in Michigan. ...

Thread: Slightly sticky MI carry question

I've been trying to find some info on this, but thus far have not .. so I figured I'd ask here.

I live in Michigan. In my area there are some post-secondary universities. Now I know better than to carry in the buildings and I suppose I've generally just considered "campus" off-limits.. but I'm wondering about land that is not directly "campus", but is owned by the university/college. There's a fair bit of property in this area owned by them, and are in areas I often find myself on foot. Be it a park, just a chunk of land, houses, restaurants, etc.

By "park" I mean one some roughly 1-5 acres that has a playground in it (And no explicit anti-gun signs, that I could see), not like a state park or something.

I know that here the rules are kind of sticky for church-owned properties so I suppose I was working under the theory it is likely similar for university-owned, but I can't find any backing on this. Does anybody know? Or know where I could find better insight on this?

Thanks. :)

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Start here:
    MGO Community Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Use the search feature and the keyword "campus", you'll find more info than I can being to post here.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

from Michigan Act 327 of 1927 Section 28.425o
    Areas you may not carry

28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited; “premises” defined; exceptions to subsection (1); violation; penalties.
    Sec. 5o.

(1) Subject to subsection (4), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:

(h) A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college, or university.

Common areas are allowed. I would contact the college police and verify that this is how they are going to interpet this however!

Link to entire statue:
    Michigan Legislature - Act 372 of 1927

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    from Michigan Act 327 of 1927 Section 28.425o
    Areas you may not carry

28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited; “premises” defined; exceptions to subsection (1); violation; penalties.
    Sec. 5o.

(1) Subject to subsection (4), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:

(h) A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college, or university.

Common areas are allowed. I would contact the college police and verify that this is how they are going to interpet this however!

Link to entire statue:
    Michigan Legislature - Act 372 of 1927
    This is the statute I was going to post. Although like other private places the University makes the policy and can prohibit firearms on any or all owned property.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

That was the statute I was reading this morning. :) I felt that the wording left room for interpretation (since there are lots of parts of a college that aren't classrooms or dorms) - so I thought I'd ask about it specifically.

VIP Member
    If the land is owned by Michigan State University, you should be OK. They recently changed their no firearms policy. Now it is just buildings that are off limits. As far as other universities you may want to check as mentioned already.

Good luck.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

There are laws and rules. State laws are listed above but rules are another story. If you break a rule then they can ask you to leave. MSU did just changer their policy to conform to state law. As far as I know, they are the only one that has. If you are not breaking any laws then you are fine.

Sponsored Links