"Dishonorable Discharge Question"

This is a discussion on "Dishonorable Discharge Question" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by onetuza Item three is in the present tense, so unless he is currently an unlawful user or is addicted, this one shouldn't ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Dishonorable Discharge Question"

Quote Originally Posted by onetuza View Post
    Item three is in the present tense, so unless he is currently an unlawful user or is addicted, this one shouldn't be applicable, should it?
    I pointed that out too. It's noted as an FYI, just in case; one never knows how the BATFE will interpret things from time to time.

2. Remove Ads

Define "addicted"...Any program will tell you once an addict always an addict, using or not.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member

Probably, but, not the legal definition

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Define "addicted"...Any program will tell you once an addict always an addict, using or not.
    You are probably right, but that isn't the legal definition.

I don't know what you mean by "any program," but if you are referring to rehab programs in the general sense, there are some really great ones (so I'm told, no personal experience thank you), and some fairly awful ones run by "recovering" addicts who have had very little professional training. Scams abound; or so I've been told by folks who sometimes get messed up in these "programs."

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Your friend doesn't know what type of discharge he had?

If his memory is that bad, he shouldn't have a CCW permit. OMO
    I couldnt agree more. Your buddy is not telling you the "whole" story.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

It's great that so many are offering advice and information--the bottom line though is this guy stepped on his dick and is now exercising "selective memory".

If he's not eligible to own a firearm or legally carry, that's fine with me...
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I did 21 years active, and NEVER heard of, or knew of, anyone who failed a pizz test a got a DD FOR JUST FAILING THE PIZZ test.

Now, if there were other charges along the way, like UA/AWOL, drug dealing, DUI, etc, that could tally up to a BCD or DD, but for just failing a dope test, I would think a Admin Discharge, or a General Discharge.

Also, depends on the service and what year, sometimes a branch of service will go hog wild on people with certain charges, just to make a point.

Really, he just needs to (A) come clean on the ENTIRE scenario and (B) find his DD-214, look at the bottom of it for the discharge, and maybe he characterization of that discharge (RE-1, RE-3, RE-4, etc).
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Asimple posetion charge a joint.doobei or whatever they call it wont keep him from owening a firearn JMO H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Something sounds fishy. If he had received a Dishonorable Discharge, he'd know it. I'd think its highly unlikely that it is something that one would forget.

Administrator
    Just tell him not to ever lie on his paperwork because it is a felony to answer those questions falsely.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

He probably received a General Discharge under honorable conditions.
    That would not stop the issuance of a permit.

All I'm going to say is there are consequences for what we do in life. So many people fail to look ahead a few years down the road and then they are screwed.

I don't think there is any way he got a Dishonorable Discharge for a positive drug test. Tons of people get "processed for discharge" for drug test failures and receive a "General Discharge."

If he did in fact end up with a Dishonorable Discharge, it wasn't because of a drug test. A DD = No guns! So no, he would not be able to purchase a firearm.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

For the purposes of gun laws, "dishonorable conditions" only applies to a Dishonorable Discharge - which anyone who got one would know without a doubt, since it requires conviction at a general Court Martial.

The other four types of discharges (honorable, General - under honorable conditons, General - other than honorable conditions, and Bad Conduct discharge) do not preclude someone from owning or purchasing a firearm.

In some states (such as NC) one must not have been discharged under "other than honorable conditions" for a concealed carry permit. The phrase "honorable conditions" refers to Honorable and General under honorable.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Dishonorable discharges are issued following a courts martial for a felony offense such as rape, murder, armed robbery, etc. You can be court martialed for any offense, but will usually receive a General discharge for a less serious charge. Not only would he be ineligible due to his discharge, but he would also be a convicted felon. He also probably spent time in Leavenworth or the equivalent.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I'm shaking my head, thinking back when I was in...20+ years before the OP's friend. If you couldn't keep your stuff together with the discipline we had, you have no business carrying a firearm in civilian life.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Administrator
    I didnt read all 5 pages of replies, but if you got a dishonorable discharge, you would know it. I'd bet it was a general discharge.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links