"Dishonorable Discharge Question"

This is a discussion on "Dishonorable Discharge Question" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hey guys and gals....question. a close friend of mine was in the process of purchasing his very first handgun yesterday. he started to fill out ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Dishonorable Discharge Question"

"Dishonorable Discharge Question"

hey guys and gals....question. a close friend of mine was in the process of purchasing his very first handgun yesterday. he started to fill out the form and it asked if he has ever been dishonorably discharged. he told me he was discharged from the navy in '97 for failing a drug test. he does not remember if it was considered dishonorable? if it was dishonorable, will that prevent him from purchasing a firearm? the person at the register had no clue, he contacted VA State Police and the person he spoke with had no clue. She suggested he get a background check. just trying to point him in the right direction.
    Thank you.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I'm no lawyer, but I would imagine it would prevent him from owning one. Especially if it was due to drugs.

He will have to get a copy of his discharge...
    It might be under other. Some times the military wont report to the civilian authorities a lot of the incidents...
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

He doesn't have a copy of his DD214?

If not, then he should request a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post
    he told me he was discharged from the navy in '97 for failing a drug test. he does not remember if it was considered dishonorable?
    how could a person NOT remember something like that?
    Ritalin - So much easier than parenting.

Quote Originally Posted by DblTap View Post
    how could a person NOT remember something like that?
    Hey, he failed a drug test. Maybe he doesn't even remember being in the Navy.

Seriously, if it was just failing a drug test I'd be surprised if it resulted in a dishonorable discharge. Would probably warrant something less, unless it involved say distribution.

VIP Member
    He can call the VA and they should be able to resolve the question. Actually, the fact that he can’t remember is not a redeeming personal quality and it ranks pretty high on the BS meter. Still, I don’t believe he would receive a Dishonorable Discharge for failing a drug screen alone. It’s more likely there is more to this story that he’s not telling you.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post
    hey guys and gals....question. a close friend of mine was in the process of purchasing his very first handgun yesterday. he started to fill out the form and it asked if he has ever been dishonorably discharged. he told me he was discharged from the navy in '97 for failing a drug test. he does not remember if it was considered dishonorable? if it was dishonorable, will that prevent him from purchasing a firearm? the person at the register had no clue, he contacted VA State Police and the person he spoke with had no clue. She suggested he get a background check. just trying to point him in the right direction.
    Thank you.

I'm searching for the US Code on dishonorable discharge. If memory serves, you lose your right to vote as well as your right to own/purchase/possess a firearm. As soon as I find the Code, I'll post up the US Code number, the excerpt, and the link.

Found it for the firearms portion. A dishonorable for failing a drug test might fall under 2 categories. I can't see how a drug test from 79 would even be applicable today (under part 6, see below), but the BATFE can be funny like that. Usually the discharge will list why, if there's a RE status/hold for reinlistment/reinstatemtent.

In some cases, a dishonorable discharge case can be reviewed for a change of status; usually dishonorables for medical reasons, others are usually General discharges that can be upgraded not Dishonorable. Not sure how/if that would apply for this situation, but it might be worth investigating.

"(B5) Are there certain persons who cannot legally receive or possess firearms and/or ammunition? [Back]

Yes, a person who –

(1) Has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;

(2) Is a fugitive from justice;

(3) Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;

(4) Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution;

(5) Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;

(6) Has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;

(7) Having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship;

(8) Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner; or

(9) Has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence

(10) Cannot lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm.

A person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year cannot lawfully receive a firearm.

Such person may continue to lawfully possess firearms obtained prior to the indictment or information.

[18 U.S.C. 922(g) and (n), 27 CFR 478.32]"

Linky: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1

There's a topic about this in the military section.. YES dishonorable is basically like a felony...however you really got to "earn" a dishonorable, they are not given out much....he would remember the court martial...
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

His DD214 will tell him but unless he went to a General Court Martial, he didn't get a dishonorable discharge. General Courts Martial are reserved for extremely egregious violations of the UCMJ/crimes and virtually never happen for simple drug use. In all liklihood he received an administrative, general discharge under other than honorable conditions.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

The only way you can receive a Dishonorable Discharge is to have been convicted by general court martial. General Court Martials are reserved for serious crimes like murder, rape, treason, etc. People separated from the military due to failed drug screenings normally receive "General" discharges, which can be updated to Honorable after applying for it in a few years.

I'm looking at my DD 214, and it should state it specifically in Block 24 (Character Of Service) of the form.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    He can call the VA and they should be able to resolve the question. Actually, the fact that he can’t remember is not a redeeming personal quality and it ranks pretty high on the BS meter. Still, I don’t believe he would receive a Dishonorable Discharge for failing a drug screen alone. It’s more likely there is more to this story he’s not telling you.
    Regards,

Watch what's going to be happening in the Army very soon. They're "pushing" NCO's out and in a big hurry, claiming their "trash NCO's" and poorly represent the Army. What about those "trash Officers" that make those NCO's appear to be poor leaders? You'll see dishonorable discharges as a threat to force them out...if they're smart, they'll take the early retirement...unfortunately, the Army will make itself look bad if they get an intelligent NCO that pushes the envelope on the issue.

So, it's entirely plausible that the military could/would put someone out for failinig a drug test. The nature of the drug might be the key. That would have been after Nam, so you can bet that some of the military folks were still on the drug-train and failing to beat it. Chances are, it wasn't just one.

Probably either got a Bad Conduct discharge or a General under other than honorable,General discharge under honorable,to get a dishonorable you literally have to commit a major felony like dealing drugs and going to civilian prison,rape,murder,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Drug positives are usually given a General Discharge. Have him contact the Veterans Service Officer for his county for verification.

I know in AZ he would be screwed
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links