Missouri Carry on a School bus?

This is a discussion on Missouri Carry on a School bus? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After taking the CC Class I've learned that Carrying in a School is a big no no. However, putting your gun in your locked car ...

After taking the CC Class I've learned that Carrying in a School is a big no no. However, putting your gun in your locked car in the lot is ok and if you're the head (teacher) of a class room or administrator and your district has no policy against it then you're ok to carry in the school.

I drive a School Bus and there is no black and white on this one - it's all grey.

Any of you have any insight on this? Or somewhere to point me?

Thanks.

Do you own the bus? That may have an effect on what is considered a school facility.

1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:
    (1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use; or ...
    (10) Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any school, onto any school bus, or onto the premises of any function or activity sponsored or sanctioned by school officials or the district school board.

4. Subdivisions (1), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state.

571.107. ... No driver's license or nondriver's license containing a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a concealed carry endorsement or permit issued by another state or political subdivision of another state shall authorize any person to carry concealed firearms into: ...
    (9) Any place where the carrying of a firearm is prohibited by federal law; ...
    (10) Any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of the governing body of the higher education institution or a school official or the district school board. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

Safest bet, legally, is to contact the AG. Also, read any contracts you have with the school system or employee handbooks. Make damn sure you can secure the firearm in case you need to leave the bus unattended.

I would say that a school bus would fall under the laws of the school,without permission you would probably breaking the law.I personally would rather have a bus driver capable of protecting my kid from anything
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

GS should be along soon to clear this up.

Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    GS should be along soon to clear this up.
    Who's GS?
    No, I don't own the bus. It is a public school and it owns it's own buses (it doesn't contract them out. i.e. Laid Law or FirstStudent)

Thanks for the input.
    See what I mean by this is a gray area......

TTT

No real grey area as I see it. Gun on a School Bus is a No Go! I don't see any bus owners or school district allowing you to do so, which is what it would take.

I just don't see them saying OK to that!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    No real grey area as I see it. Gun on a School Bus is a No Go! I don't see any bus owners or school district allowing you to do so, which is what it would take.

I just don't see them saying OK to that!
    The law is grey, not the reality of it.

Well I hope they say yes.
    I have up to 60 students behind me and taking trips up to 125 miles away to some places that even I don't want to go to alone... I hoping they say it is ok.

Sad thing is the Administration here at our school is mostly Left...
    Last edited by goab; August 29th, 2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: need to add Something.

ttt

PHB
    I really don't think they will give you permission good luck let us know what they say.
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." -- President John F. Kennedy

Well I found my answer. Thanks to Tim Oliver's LEARN TO CARRY - Missouri Concealed-Carry Courses, MO CCW Permit Classes, Info, News (a Missouri site) I found a copy of the law typed out: HB349 - MO LTC Law

571.030 section 10: Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any school, onto any school bus, or onto the premises of any function or activity sponsored or sanctioned by school officials or the district school board.

Now I know the law is clear. I will not be pushing the issue nor will I be tempted to carry.
    That's what makes us better than the BG - we obey the law.

CCW on a school bus in no 'grey area', and either is loosing you permit for a long time...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Glad you found the correct info but even without that carrying on a school bus just sounds like a very bad idea.

Is it really?
    With the school shootings we've had in the past and the safety of your child and mine onboard one for, in some cases, hours a day, and the fact that some sports trips goes into some really questionable areas, I would think that you would want one more step of protection for our kids.
    I feel as if that's a strange thing that most folks are saying here, "CC on a schools = bad".
    If that's the case, no carry in churches or anywhere else kids may be.
    I feel alone here. Am I?
    I am a law abiding citizen, my boss and myself would be the only ones with the knowledge of it onboard. How in Creation is this a bad idea, unless, of course, I'm an idiot and have the inability to carry wisely? But now I know there's the law, which makes it a bad idea. Whereas my CCW Course instructor was unsure of the law.
    Last edited by goab; September 28th, 2009 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Addition to idea

nedrgr21

I totally looked over your post. You had it there all along. Thanks.
    Where did you find your info?

Links