Carrying in three states?

This is a discussion on Carrying in three states? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in NW PA and am a stones throw from NY and OH. Sometimes when I'm on my bike riding back roads I will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying in three states?

Carrying in three states?

I live in NW PA and am a stones throw from NY and OH. Sometimes when I'm on my bike riding back roads I will find I've wandered into the other state, but I haven't ridden while carrying yet. So how would I go about getting licensed in each state to be legal?
    And another thing I was wondering... and this is kind of a peeve of mine... In lieu of the Burress thing, when they are talking about NY gun laws are they referring to the whole state or the city? I notice that a lot of people refer to NYC as simply NY, as if it's the only city in NY. Are the gun laws in NY tough as a whole, or is it just NYC?

Thanks for any input.

2. Remove Ads

You really don't want to carry in NY state without a NYS ccw. And you can't get that as a non resident. The gun laws throughout the state are tough, and NY city as a rule is even worse. I believe you can get a minimum of 1 year in prison for "illegal" carry.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD13 View Post
    You really don't want to carry in NY state without a NYS ccw. And you can't get that as a non resident. The gun laws throughout the state are tough, and NY city as a rule is even worse. I believe you can get a minimum of 1 year in prison for "illegal" carry.
    + 1 in NY they only trust residents and police. As for OH I believe the FL CCW will cover you there.

Cheers,
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

+ 1 in NY they only trust residents and police
    They really only trust the police, and then that's on a limited basis
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD13 View Post
    I believe you can get a minimum of 1 year in prison for "illegal" carry.
    It's 3 years.

I was hoping not to hear that about the state of NY. Shoot.

What do you mean a FL CCW is good in Ohio? What's FL? Florida? I'm not familiar with all the acronyms used here yet and I can't believe the easiest way for me to carry in OH would be to get a FLA permit first...

Nice smokers BBQ. I use a WSM.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I'm not familiar with all the acronyms used here yet and I can't believe the easiest way for me to carry in OH would be to get a FLA permit first...
    Look into getting a Non FL resident permit to make you legal in Ohio. Plex just got 2 years in prison for carrying in NY City. He had a Florida permit, but allowed it to expire, which wouldn't have mattered in NY anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    Look into getting a Non FL resident permit to make you legal in Ohio. Plex just got 2 years in prison for carrying in NY City. He had a Florida permit, but allowed it to expire, which wouldn't have mattered in NY anyways.
    I stand corrected. Thanks for the advice. It sure seems weird though. Must be for all the snowbirds that leave OH for FLA in winter that they reciprocate.
    How can I apply for one in FLA? Do they have an online form?

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I stand corrected. Thanks for the advice. It sure seems weird though. Must be for all the snowbirds that leave OH for FLA in winter that they reciprocate. How can I apply for one in FLA? Do they have an online form?
    Start here:

Concealed Weapons or Firearm Program - Division of Licensing, FDACS

Actually it has nothing to do with snowbirds, or any kind of bird. It has to do with the reciprocity between individual states and the recognition of one state's licensing procedure being accepted by another state. Having a CPL from FL will allow you to carry in over 30 states (at the moment).

Go to the link below it will answer all your questions about getting the permit.

Concealed Weapons or Firearm Program - Division of Licensing, FDACS

Thank you very much!

you cannot carry in ohio with a PA permit, but if you get the florida non-res permit you can. look on this website:
    Handgunlaw.us

-spoz
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."-Thomas Jefferson

G19

I was doing the quick scroll on that FLA PDF file and that thing looks brutal. PA's is a ten minute papperwork fill out and a pic. In and out in 15 minutes if there's no line. A couple weeks later you get it in the mail. I guess I was hoping for a similar permit issue in OH. I'm in NY a heck of a lot more than OH though... Maybe I'll just stay at home (lol).

DO NOT GO TO NY, NJ, OR MD WITH A GUN! THEY DO NOT HONOR OUT OF STATE PERMITS, MATTER OF SPEAKING THEY ARE MAY ISSUE STATES, MEANING YOU AS A RESIDENT AREN'T GUARENTEED A PERMIT. YOU WILL LOOSE YOUR RIGHT TO CARRY ANYWHERE AS THE RESULT OF BRINGING A GUN TO ANY OF THESE STATES

For us lving in PA, the neighoring states of NY, MD, NJ are off limits to us. WV is the only neighboring state that will honor your PA permit. You'll need a UT or FL permit to carry in the neighboring states of OH and DE. It really sucks being cornered here in PA It's sad that most of the 13 orginal colonies are anit-2A.

You can bring a gun to MD, Just keep it locked up with the ammo separated and you'll be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links