Sacramento Sheriff To Allow More Permits

This is a discussion on Sacramento Sheriff To Allow More Permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sac Sheriff Weighs Allowing More Gun Permits SACRAMENTO, CA - Sacramento County may be about to experience an increase in the number of gun owners ...

Thread: Sacramento Sheriff To Allow More Permits

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar

Sacramento Sheriff To Allow More Permits

Sac Sheriff Weighs Allowing More Gun Permits

SACRAMENTO, CA - Sacramento County may be about to experience an increase in the number of gun owners with permits to carry concealed weapons.

Sheriff John McGinness called it a necessary move, given his department's lack of resources to properly protect the public.

"I think in the interest of doing right by the public and the constituency, we had to make some acknowledgement of the fact that it's a different environment out there," McGinness said. "As things have changed, our ability to respond effectively and ensure their safety has been compromised. Therefore, I think it's only appropriate that we look at these applications with a different thought process in mind."

Gun owner George Perry agreed that McGinness is doing the right thing.

"There is just too much crime out there for a person to be able to call for police when they need them cause there's just too few officers," Perry said.

But gun control advocates feel differently. They said the decrease in support staff at the sheriff's department is not a good enough reason to allow more people to carry concealed weapons.

"By weakening the standards for carrying concealed weapons, it's not a way to deal with the budget cuts to public safety," said Rebecca Gonzales, who defends the gun control measure knwn as Brady's Law.

There is one thing that those on both sides of the concealed carry issue do agree on and that is that even law-abiding citizens with the best intentions can misuse a weapon without the proper training.

Perry said, "If people are really serious about owning a handgun, they don't want to be shooting themselves in the leg and going to prison."

The sheriff himself stressed that he doesn't plan to make it any easier to get a permit .

"All of the same criteria have to be taken into account on the part of the person who would potentially be holding that weapon," McGinness said.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

2. Remove Ads

Gun owner George Perry agreed that McGinness is doing the right thing.
    Me too. I think this is one level headed Sheriff who really understands what the private citizen is up against out there. My hat is off to him. I'd say Sacramento has a good Sheriff.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

"By weakening the standards for carrying concealed weapons, it's not a way to deal with the budget cuts to public safety," said Rebecca Gonzales, who defends the gun control measure knwn as Brady's Law.

This is the kind of intentional twisting of the truth that gripes me the most. Like the sheriff can "weaken" the standards. I'm sure there are plenty of criteria that have to be met. Looks like the sheriff is just not going to stand in the way of those that meet them. Good for him.

There are a lot of good county sheriffs in this country. Many of them are on our side in regard to the Second Amendment.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

I know this has got to be pleasing to hear for many a folks

One would think that it would make sense to issue permits to individuals who qualify for CCW permits
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

"A free man should not have to show any need for being armed, and a public official is almost never in a position to pass judgment upon any such need. 'I want it because I want it.' That should be enough."
    -Jeff Cooper-
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

There is one thing that those on both sides of the concealed carry issue do agree on and that is that even law-abiding citizens with the best intentions can misuse a weapon without the proper training.
    That’s the key. Any caliber 380 up will do if you will.

Training and practicing what you learned at least once a month is the basics.

"I think in the interest of doing right by the public and the constituency, we had to make some acknowledgement of the fact that it's a different environment out there," McGinness said. "As things have changed, our ability to respond effectively and ensure their safety has been compromised. Therefore, I think it's only appropriate that we look at these applications with a different thought process in mind."

Final some one is doing what's right for the people.

Good news from CA for a change. Let there be more to follow.

Thats some good news, and somewhat surprising given the location... California. Sounds like the high Sheriff is a good, reasonable man. Hopefully the people of Sacremento County keep him around for a while.

It's refreshing to hear good news come out of a "Peoples Republic" state. Smart sheriff in Sacramento.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

I believe that the Sac county sheriff is being sued because he doesn't issue permits. His std is so much higher than "good cause" that almost no one will qualify.

He has cut back on staff in the permit dept. as well.

So, while he may TALK as if he will issue more, he is not going to do so. It's all political BS which is easily seen by his stmt:

"All of the same criteria have to be taken into account on the part of the person who would potentially be holding that weapon," McGinness said.
    so, it's just "feel good" BS.

VIP Member
    Sounds very political to me.

Sheriff John McGinness has already said he will not run for re-election so it's any body's guess what's up his sleeve.

Links