Defensive Carry banner

On the border...

6K views 52 replies 33 participants last post by  tmizzi 
#1 ·
I just returned from a visit to British Columbia, Canada, and I had a curious experience crossing into that country. The Canadian border crossing guard asked me whose car I was driving, and I replied it was mine. He then asked, "Do you have any guns?" I said I did at home, but I did not bring them with me, knowing I could not enter Canada with any kind of firearm. He then asked me what kind I had and he was looking at a screen, seemingly checking my answers. This leads me to suspect that (a) my CCW for Texas, which is linked to my driver's license, is shared beyond the state and even beyond the country, and (b) its possible my gun purchases are also known to the Canadian government. Has anyone had a similar experience?

#31 ·
I can't remember how many times I have been to Canada and have never been asked anything beyond "Do you have any firearms in the vehicle?"

The day I am will be the last time I enter Canada.

I visited six countries this past April and not one of them asked me anything about weapons - just stamped my passport and said "Enjoy your stay."

#34 ·
When I lived in Michigan I used to go to Canada now and then. They would always ask about weapons, but when they ask "Do you have any weapons?" They are asking NOW. Not at home. The answer to that question is "No sir".. BTW, I carryed a Concealed permit back then too,.. Only time I got detained is when a guy with me blurted out he has a DUI conviction when he wasn't being addressed. At that point they wanted to find out what was going on. After getting it cleared up inside we was on our way.

As was mentioned earlier in the posts, always answer with a short polite answer. Never give them more then they ask for, and answer directly the question asked. (as pertaining to the second) ....

#35 ·
New Law

The new law that took effect June 1, 2009, in regards to crossing international borders is shared by Mexico and Canada. In the agreement the United States shares the personal information in your drivers license with Canada and Mexico. If your Permit comes up with law enforcement here in the US it will show up with the Canadians and Mexicans. In the Detroit River where I have my boat the Canadian Customs ride in the boat with the American Customs. I’m not a lawyer. But I have read the law before it took effect.

#42 ·
The new law that took effect June 1, 2009, in regards to crossing international borders is shared by Mexico and Canada. In the agreement the United States shares the personal information in your drivers license with Canada and Mexico. If your Permit comes up with law enforcement here in the US it will show up with the Canadians and Mexicans. In the Detroit River where I have my boat the Canadian Customs ride in the boat with the American Customs. I’m not a lawyer. But I have read the law before it took effect.
I wonder what they'll think when they see four permits and not one :theyareontome:

#36 ·
Sounds to me like they are building a database. It's none of their business what guns you have at home. I would simply tell them that you don't have any guns. If they ask if you have any at home, I would say it is none of your business what I have or don't have at home because what I have or don't have at home has nothing to do with my visit to your country.

#40 ·
I never said I would be rude or a smart-alec with my answers; to the contrary, every time I've crossed the US-Canadian border (dozens, just not lately) I'm as polite as I can be. I am fully aware that the border guards are capable of making sure I have a *very* bad day.

That notwithstanding, if I was asked directly about whether I owned firearms, I might be inclined to give an affirmative answer but get rather coy and vague about further details.

#44 ·
The border guard was asking if you had any guns on you or in your vehicle.

If you got pulled over by a state trooper or a city cop where you live, the cop would ask you the same question.

I guess one way to look at it, our CBP cops on the southern border ask the same question. We get a little upset when foreign nationals bring weapons into the United States.

Now, if the Canadian border guard had asked you "how many guns do you own?".....that would be an entirely different matter. It would be absolutely none of his business.

I recently was asked that question by a cop when I had to fill out a police report. I was a witness to my neighbor blowing his house up.

When the cop asked me how many guns I own, I answered him by asking: "Is this a trick question?"

I never did give him an answer.:wink:

#45 ·
The border guard was asking if you had any guns on you or in your vehicle.

If you got pulled over by a state trooper or a city cop where you live, the cop would ask you the same question.
Absolutely right!

I think some folks here either ...

(1) can't comprehend simple questions.
(2) read MUCH more into questions than is actually there.
(3) don't know near as much as they think they do.
(4) jump to conclusions based on incorrect and/or incomplete data.
(5) all of the above.

#51 ·
Thanks for all the experiences and insight. If Colin ever finds out from the border guards what they can really see, I'd love to hear it. My responses were honest and fairly brief. I think I left out references to two black powder handguns and a P89...so maybe I was being a little paranoid about his being able to tell what I really did own. But I have relatives in Canada, and I sort of wanted in that day. And don't screw with these guys; my brother-in-law spent most of a day behind bars because his friends told a US guard he'd like two burgers with fries and a couple of Cokes. They took his car apart searching for drugs -- which fortunately for him, they didn't have, or the vehicle would have been confiscated to fund the War on Drugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.