Colorado CCW means instant entry into criminal database? - Page 2

Colorado CCW means instant entry into criminal database?

This is a discussion on Colorado CCW means instant entry into criminal database? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; See. C.R.S. 18-12-206 @ Michie's Legal Resources ....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    See. C.R.S. 18-12-206 @ Michie's Legal Resources.
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

Pick your county of residence very carefully.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Although not a criminal database, here in Ohio, if you have a CHL, when the officer runs the plates on a car registered to you, they get a red alert box that says you have a CHL, just as they do for felony warrants and other important officer safety stuff.
    Similar here in VA.

Anyone an (LEO, Conservator of the Peace, CHP holders) etc who might be expected to be armed is flagged when running the ID.

And yes it comes up in the same field as felony warrants and other important officer safety stuff.

However, it is clearly flagged as IDing the registered vehicle owner, individual etc as an LEO, Conservator of the Peace, CHP holder, etc. -- not just as a "person of interest."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

yes it's true. you will be fingerprinted and entered into the 'persons of interest database'.

But it is only by County, dependent on the Sheriff. IIRC a CBI database is prohibited by Colorado statute, but look and ask here:

Rocky Mountain Gun Owners - Home

They have always answered my questions quickly and honestly.

Join too! A strong organization!

You don't have to notify in TN but DL and HCP are connected.

That's what is great about our Sheriff Cooke in Weld County. I have listened to him speak at a few grassroots assemblies. He is about as pro 2A as you will come across. State law says we have to be permitted for CC so he can't do anything about that other than voice his opinion. He will not enter any permit holder into ANY database, including his own departments.

From Sheriff Cooke's OP ED articles May 11, 2008:

"The biggest disagreement is on the entry of permit holders' name into a statewide database. In the concealed weapons law it is optional for the County Sheriff to enter the names into the database. Once again my position is clear and unyielding; I absolutely refuse to enter Weld County permit holders into the state computer system just because they legally exercise their rights.

It is my belief that government has no right to know who has a concealed weapons permit or who owns a gun."

We need a whole lot more like him.

Didn't you know, according to the Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence, we are ALL considered persons of "interest". Until we no longer have rights to keep and bear arms, we will retain that status.

Joking aside, some states tie the license/permit in with DL's and other information available to LEO's.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by PrimerPress View Post
    That's what is great about our Sheriff Cooke in Weld County. I have listened to him speak at a few grassroots assemblies. He is about as pro 2A as you will come across. State law says we have to be permitted for CC so he can't do anything about that other than voice his opinion. He will not enter any permit holder into ANY database, including his own departments.

From Sheriff Cooke's OP ED articles May 11, 2008:

"The biggest disagreement is on the entry of permit holders' name into a statewide database. In the concealed weapons law it is optional for the County Sheriff to enter the names into the database. Once again my position is clear and unyielding; I absolutely refuse to enter Weld County permit holders into the state computer system just because they legally exercise their rights.

It is my belief that government has no right to know who has a concealed weapons permit or who owns a gun."

We need a whole lot more like him.
    To add to his stance, his wife, Amy Oliver, has a two hour call in talk show on our own 1310 AM radio station. 9-11 weekday mornings.

News Talk 1310 KFKA

She has been a strong advocate for 2A and has her CWP. Amy does shows frequently dealing with gun rights and the general need to stand up for ourselves against this leadership we have around us anymore.

You can check her out online if interested. We are lucky to have Sheriff Cooke and his wife here for us. We also have one of the best instructors here, Amy is a class alumni of my favorite training school:
    Colorado Shooting Sports • AK Lightning Bolt™ • Firearms • Ammunition • Training • Tactical Gear

I am thankful to live here.

Bob

CCIC Entry?

No offense to anyone here, but RMGO has been the MAIN pro-gun lobbying organization in Colorado for more than a decade and a half.

I'm the only lobbyist who endured the 9 year battle for Shall-Issue concealed carry in Colorado (my apologies, too -- it could have been so much better).

We were the group that broke the story in December of 2002, when we found out that some sheriffs were entering permit holders into CBI's criminal database (that's what THEY called it).

That practice was codified in 2003 (with the passage of SB24) and again by another bill, which re-authorized it.

So, as it sits now, Sheriffs can enter you into a CCIC (they call it something different, but it's accessed the same way) if they choose to.

It's a great litmus test for Sheriff's candidates.

Always feel free to ask questions of RMGO -- that's our job.

Rocky Mountain Gun Owners - Home

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Good to know about Weld CO.

I have been pulled over once in my car for a rolling stop and choose to notify because I had to reach near my gun.

I was recently pulled over on my motorcycle for going too slow and didn't notify because I wasn't carrying (was tinkerin on the bike in the garage and went for a quick test drive). He never came back and asked me about a firearm.

As an aside, both Weld Co sherriffs were great guys and an overall positive experience.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

In Texas CHL is linked to your drivers license.

Fortunately El Paso County Sheriff Terry Maketa, like John Anderson before him, has adamantly stated that he will not provide this information to the state as it's none of their stinking business.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    No, it is not a “Criminal Database”.

You are, however, entered into a database that is linked to your drivers license so that if and when you are pulled over in Colorado the LEO will know that you have a CCW when he/she runs you license.

This is linked to your drivers license and not your car license/registration.
    That is correct. I work in healthcare as well. I know many physicians and nurses who carry without issue. This is a non-issue IMO.

I agree, for the most part it's a non issue.

However, it can be a concern to have a "file" ANYWHERE, these days with O'Bummer as President. (and "Tax" Ritter as his potential accomplice.)
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links