Colorado CCW means instant entry into criminal database?

This is a discussion on Colorado CCW means instant entry into criminal database? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I moved to CO from CA just a few weeks back and are trying to get the ball rolling for us both ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colorado CCW means instant entry into criminal database?

Colorado CCW means instant entry into criminal database?

My wife and I moved to CO from CA just a few weeks back and are trying to get the ball rolling for us both to get our CCW by year's end. I stumbled across this little piece here that mentions depending on which county you are in (we are in Adams)... that your Sheriff can and will immediately enter you into a statewide criminal database and flag you as "a person of interest" upon receiving your CCW.

While this won't deter me from pursing my CCW... it will make my wife consider a little harder if she should or shouldn't. She is going to school to be a pharmacist and being in a criminal database as a person of interest while working in public health (especially if you've done nothing criminally wrong) just seems wrong.

Can anyone shed light on this? Is it true? And if so... doesn't that pretty much put a target on you the second you are in a traffic violation or your tags are ever run? It sounds a little crazy.

2. Remove Ads

Never heard of anything like that even in the worst of anti gun states.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

well now that is interesting. My county is not on the list, but the surrounding counties are. I will make some queries and attempt to get a little insight on this.

It is the first I ever seen any mention of it so I didn't know how much trust to put in it. I figured if it were true that I would have seen or heard much more uproar about it (unless most people here just don't care). I didn't know how radical RMGO really was so maybe they could be playing it up a little bit. Just curious if any other locals have heard of it and what they thought about it.

Contact Rocky Mountain Gun Owners - Home and see what they say. The counties do have some leeway in what they do with their info.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Although not a criminal database, here in Ohio, if you have a CHL, when the officer runs the plates on a car registered to you, they get a red alert box that says you have a CHL, just as they do for felony warrants and other important officer safety stuff.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

VIP Member
    Check with the county sheriff.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I just lost all respect for the state of Colorado!
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

No, it is not a “Criminal Database”.

You are, however, entered into a database that is linked to your drivers license so that if and when you are pulled over in Colorado the LEO will know that you have a CCW when he/she runs you license.

This is linked to your drivers license and not your car license/registration.

It is up to the County Sherriff as to whether or not they want to submit information to the data base.

My understanding is that this data base is only available to Colorado LEO and does not come up if you are travelling in any other state.

This does not show up when your employer runs a standard background check on you.

Hope this helps…

any other states do this? Like NY? Since we don't have to "inform" an LEO during a routine traffic stop I'd want to know if he would find this out anyway so I can be prepared.

Something to be said for the life we had before the internet and all the technology!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Brock View Post
    ... enter you into a statewide criminal database and flag you as "a person of interest" upon receiving your CCW.
    Merely because you have the ability to defend yourself, you're a "person of interest"? Meaning what, that you're a threat to the State in situations where the State is jumping on the People? Where does this "person of interest" language come from in the statute authorizing the flagging of records in this way?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Merely because you have the ability to defend yourself, you're a "person of interest"? Meaning what, that you're a threat to the State in situations where the State is jumping on the People? Where does this "person of interest" language come from in the statute authorizing the flagging of records in this way?
    In public health, the epidemiologist's first job is to confirm the diagnosis. Here, we don't have confirmation that the original report was indeed accurate.

You do well to be concerned at the report, but indications are that this is an "officer safety / might be interested to know" database rather than one which has warrants already half filled out. I would encourage waiting until we had stronger confirmation of the OP wording before getting out blood pressure up.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Check around and you'll find this pretty much SOP in a lot of states. No big deal. It simply allows an Officer to know that you might be armed when he stops you or runs your driver's license.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

This article is from 29 months ago... so maybe they don't do it anymore. There is also a piece of the article that mentions "CBI has now created a special database for permit holders, but it is accessed the same way and has all the same unsafe implications" so maybe instead of putting you into the "criminal database" there is a separate table in that database that is accessed the same way but is labeled differently (as CCW holder) or something.

BlackJack addressed the most important part... does your name come up when employers, credit lenders, apartments, etc... run background checks on you? If the database is SEPERATE from the criminal database then maybe your name doesn't show up the same way. I have less concern of what Johnny Law thinks when he runs my license because neither of us have done anything wrong... I have more of a concern as to what potential employers, credit lenders and anyone else who can/does run a background check see.

I would venture to say this is not true. You may be entered on a firearms data base, but not criminal.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links