Problems with the neighbors... already!

This is a discussion on Problems with the neighbors... already! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would leave before somebody gets hurt . Even if you are the one that does the hurting it will cause a major crap storm....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Problems with the neighbors... already!

I would leave before somebody gets hurt .
    Even if you are the one that does the hurting it will cause a major crap storm.
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

2. Remove Ads

You mentioned being armed-were you CCing or OCing? The latter tends to have better effects for your situation.
    Also, someone else mentioned a border patrol patch, maybe some kind of law enforcement t-shirts(make sure you can legally wear them if you're not an agent or officer). I used to live in NoVA, and a relative wore a shirt like that into a 7 eleven. Before he goes in, the parking lot is full of day laborers, after he gets a drink and comes out, poof! parking lot is empty. All the NoVA people know what I'm talking about with 7 Elevens.
    The Hispanic thing plays a role in NoVA because most can't speak any English.
    You could also file with Fairfax PD, but if you don't already know they're becoming a sanctuary county. They don't want to deal with any illegal alien issues unless they absolutely have to.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post
    Honestly, a good shotgun is THE FINEST URBAN WEAPON AVAILABLE.

Or so we found out in Fallujah, Saqliweah, and Ramadi! =@}

Go with lead 7 1/2 shot. Enough to kill, but less likely to over-penetrate into neighbors' apartments.

Good luck.
    I know most folk talk about 00 buck for SD. But I with you on using smaller shot inside a typical home and especially in an apartment. Just had that conversation Thursday. I generally recommend #6 shot. I've seen what that can do to a human body at under 25 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyII View Post
    I heard that.... The sound of a shot gun getting racked will most definately get them to thinking twice
    No sound of racking, IMHO. Just boom. Rememberer the 21 foot rule. Plus that rack might be the first and last jam of your life.

BTW -- some 40 years ago (pre the current problems), my wife & I moved into an apartment on Duke St, Alexandria. Had seen the place in the daytime on a weekday -- nice & peaceful. After the first night, I told the manager I wanted a written exception on the pet size limit or to break the lease. Negotiated the permission for a larger dog (with an extra security deposit). A trip to the pound, overtly taking pictures, calls to the PD w/ overtly handing over rolls of film to the responding officer cleared a zone around the front of our apartment and resulted in a few folk being evicted.

Also, suggested that the owner/manager offer free or significantly reduced rent to up to x number of LEOs. (This was in response to the manager complaining about other problems, including apartments trashed far beyond what the security deposit would cover.) When I was transfered a couple years later, we had one LEO living in each building and the manager told me that was the best advice they ever got.

BTW2 -- my son gets a significant discount in the apartment he lives in and the discount would be better were he able to bring a marked vehicle home, as do some of the other LEOs. FWIIW, within three months of him moving in two apartments in his building were vacated, by scumbags. Hum, wonder why that was the only unit available for an LEO discount, when he moved in -- albeit before asking about the discount, he had been shown a number of others vacant units in other buildings?

BTW3 and totally irreverent, when I was living in Manassas in the 50s Centreville was a sleepily country town and I can't remember an apartment complex of any sort, save a couple of formally single family homes that had been converted. Also, remember the first person to move into Manassas and commute to DC. Everyone thought he was crazy -- not a vision of their future.

Keep safe.

Keep checking on options. And strongly consider moving.
    Last edited by DaveH; August 29th, 2009 at 02:15 PM. Reason: sp & additional BTW
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Most leases have a clause about safety and security. You maybe able to break it w/o penalty.

You may want to talk to the management and let them know of the situation, maybe give them a letter as well. Keep a trail. Move. Keep your family safe.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

You mentioned your father's 30 years LEO background. If he has the connections, one "ICE" jacketed person walking thru the complex will 'cool' the situation for a while on one front. Unfortunately, local LEO's won't be much help; they are no doubt already aware of the problem and are doing nothing. Then again, if the local leo's think state or federal officers are about to come in, they may git 'er done to avoid the media stink.

I'm in agreement with most people who responded. Get out of the lease, even if you have to pay a penalty. What you risk by living in that environment just isn't worth it.

In response to your other question: Shotgun, especially if the BG's are always in groups.

Stay alert!
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
    What does the fact these men were hispanic have to do with the situation? Unless you are trying to imply that we should think something of that fact. Please also tell me what the drug dependent stereotype is. And because some drunk guy was by your house, you assume he was pretending to be drunk and is planning on robbing you?

I would move.
    I would guess the "Hispanic" comment was because they acted like they didnt understand what he was saying. The other comments, I guess you'd have to be there.
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

It also sounds like your "Roomie" is passing out way too much info!!!
    Tony

I'm kind of surprised nobody mentioned it yet, but perhaps see if you can find a lawyer who works with leases. At the very least to look it over and suggest ways to break/nullify the lease with minimum impact to you.

And document EVERYTHING. Take pictures of anything you reasonably can. (As a photographer, I know sometimes busting out the camera can have an impact not unlike bringing out the gun for show if you've got the right/wrong crowd) Call the police whenever necessary. I've called non-emergency several times when my neighbours (who are of the drunk college variety and harmless when it isn't Game Day) get too rowdy, obnoxious, etc., and they're always happy to drive by. Almost always settles the mood right quick.

If you absolutely CANNOT move, look into what you can do to turn it into your private fortress. See if you can get extra locks installed. Check into the window security. Bug your landlords about it constantly if necessary. And see what the biggest, strongest rental insurance is available for you.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy McC View Post
    Wear a border patrol patch.

Get the shottie first, then a carbine.

I grew up in Falls Church, I am really glad I don't live there anymore.

wow, the situation sucks man. i know the general area and how much of a problem it can be. one of my best friends is in the USMC finally got a non-deployable position at Quantico and lives on base in a really nice house. he had been waiting for the house to open up for abotu a year and a half and in the meantime, he was living in a really shady neighborhood off-base in Triangle. he dealt with the low life scum that was described in the first post nearly every day. more than once in the middle of the night he had to grab his AR15 from his bedside and think about defending his family. he couldn't have gotten out soon enough. i only visited him a handful of times at that house, but each time it was quite scary, for a few different reasons. good thing VA and PA are friendly with each other about concealed carry!

I lived in Fairfax and for years had a running fued with dirt ball neighbors. Called the cops many times. Nothing came of it. Only the tension got worse. Even pulled a gun on them at times. That enviroment will eat at you. One day I laoded up my M1 and decided to go across the street and wipe them out. Opened the door and started out when reality hit me. They would be dead and I would be with Bubby. I would no longer be with my wife and family. It was touch and go for a while. I finally got a chance to sell my company and move west. There is some good advice here from others. I hope you can use some of it. It sucks to be stuck like that. Watch your back and good luck.

Semper Fi
    Last edited by BkCo1; August 29th, 2009 at 11:48 AM. Reason: spelling

You are going to move, either now or after something really bad happens. I vote for now, ASAP, today! As far as the lease, talk to a lawyer , or just quit payng and get evicted. If you can't afford a lawyer now, just think how badly you will need one you can't afford later.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

There Are Extenduating Circumstances That You Can Get Out Of Your Lease.Otherwise, You Did The Right Thing And, Didnt Back Down. Discuss This Issue With Lawyer You Have The Right To Live Peacefully And, To Feel Secure in or, About Your Residence. I Feel For You Been There And, Done That. Had To Move Myself But, As it Turned Out It Worked Out For The Best. Good Luck
    NRA Life Member
    USCCA Member
    Scope Member
    New York permit
    Pennsylvania Permit
    Florida Permit

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    If you were from No Va. you would understand.
    Or Arizona.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links