Problems with the neighbors... already!

This is a discussion on Problems with the neighbors... already! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan I'm from Chicago, and I understand quite clearly. From NJ - and I had no problem understanding the 'types' he was ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Problems with the neighbors... already!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
    I'm from Chicago, and I understand quite clearly.
    From NJ - and I had no problem understanding the 'types' he was talking about either.

2. Remove Ads

I am having a hard time understanding where all this racial sensitivity is coming from. Frankly, I'm quite sick of it. He said they were Hispanic because they WERE, period. When LEO are speaking the first thing they do is state the race followed by the gender of the person. If he'd said there were three Caucasian males sitting outside drinking is someone going to have a problem with that too? Doubtful. I agree totally with the taking of pictures and a written submission to the manager of the property, absolutely have proof and a paper trail of complaint.

Dude, Seriously. Get Out NOW!

I was in your exact situation 4 Months ago. My Girlfriend and I moved to the "Hood" because Rent was $300 cheaper there than the suburbs. It wasn't that we couldn't afford a nicer place we just wanted to save money. HUGE MISTAKE. You get what you pay for.

We were in a Townhouse Complex. The area around us was pretty bad.

My Girlfriend and I don't have a ton of money, but compared to what was living around us, I'm sure we were the wealthiest people there.

It was obvious that others thought so too. We were always being "eyed". Most everyone in the area sat outside in their pajamas all day drinking beer.

The first Month there: My Laptop was stolen off the trunk of my car. (There's a thread on here detailing my interaction with the Police (they were not helpful) I did end up getting my laptop back from the thief though.)

The Second Month, our apartment was broken into while we were both at work. They took the LCD TV, XBOX 360 and My GFs Laptop (Mine was with me at work). Out of all my movies they only took Bad Boys and Bad Boys 2. They also left my Girlfriends Xbox 360 Games. (guess they were too girly).

Unfortunately with places like that. The area is so crime ridden that Police don't care / don't have the manpower to deal with a guy sitting on your car, Loud Parties, or people loitering. They definitely won't do extra patrols just for you.

I don't know your exact situation but it sounds like you already made an enemy who I'm sure has all the time in the world to think about what he wants to do to you.

Your appearance of having money will definitely make you a target to others as well.

After the break in I made a fuss to the management and they let me out of my lease. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
    If you were told that the area was safe when you met with the leasing agent, go to the Police Station and ask for crime stats on your neighborhood. If they are really high you may be able to use that as leverage to get out of your lesase. I did.

The next day we hired movers and moved everything to a storage unit. We stayed at her Aunt and Uncles vacant house until we got a new place. We moved back to the suburbs. We're paying $200 more a month for rent but it is TOTALLY worth it. I can't believe I let myself get into such a bad situation.

Watch your back.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by glockgal View Post
    i am having a hard time understanding where all this racial sensitivity is coming from. Frankly, i'm quite sick of it. He said they were hispanic because they were, period. When leo are speaking the first thing they do is state the race followed by the gender of the person. If he'd said there were three caucasian males sitting outside drinking is someone going to have a problem with that too? Doubtful. I agree totally with the taking of pictures and a written submission to the manager of the property, absolutely have proof and a paper trail of complaint.
    +1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000
    NRA life member.

Glockgirl,
    Fortunally you have not seen the problems some of these areas have had with people from south of the border. I am assuming you have no problems where you live. It gets down right dangerous at times.
    But I agree that a scumbag is a scumbag no matter their race. The OP was describing the people he was dealing with. I am willing to bet that he or the others are not racist.

Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    In addition to Kentuckycarry's explanation of the use of the term "Hispanic", I believe that the poster was simply trying to give as complete a picture of the situation as he can. Combined also with his explanation of the presence of MS 13, I don't believe that it was a racist comment, just as I said, as compete a description as possible.

Yikes! I'm amazed how many people are so passionate about this from personal experience. I'll definitely research a move... but being a broke-butt student that works full time and part-time on the weekends... it is a daunting task. I don't disagree that it is the right thing to do, but I think I'm gonna have to sleep in the bed I made.

I'm trying to cover the last 5 pages of questions...

It actually appears to be a nice neighborhood, but I'm starting to realize that I live with a bunch of cute college girls and a bunch of shady night-types.

I'll definitely go to the PD tonight and get a crime report, suggest patrolling more often, increasing community policing, etc.

I was concealed when I confronted the gents, but company policy dictates that I open carry on Saturday, so a lot of my neighbors just saw me walk in armed this evening (for better or worse... I do not yet know)

Hell yea to a shotgun. I read #1 Buck actually creates more damage than any other shot cartridge, and #2 would be a second choice, followed by the 0's and 00's. Is a 1 or 2 gonna run thru too much material that I should cut back to the fabled #4 shot?

A safe sounds liek a good idea, but cash is short and I don't need to be carting a huge safe into my tiny room. Are there any safes I can bolt down that won't take up their own zip code?

Thanks for the concern and advice everyone! Hopefully I won't have to add an "update" to this thread tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    Glockgirl,
    Fortunally you have not seen the problems some of these areas have had with people from south of the border. I am assuming you have no problems where you live. It gets down right dangerous at times.
    But I agree that a scumbag is a scumbag no matter their race. The OP was describing the people he was dealing with. I am willing to bet that he or the others are not racist.

Semper Fi
    I am not sure you understood my post. I have NO PROBLEM with the OP's description of the people he is dealing with, NONE. Please re-read my post for better understanding. I never saw his post as racist at all, which was the entire reason for my comment. While I do not live in an area that is saturated with crime, drugs, gangs, etc... I do work in Raleigh, in an emergency room. I have seen and cared for a plethora of the "Type" of people he is dealing with. People need to get over being afraid to state the race of someone. I am a WHITE female, I have two BLACK nephews and I have some HISPANIC relatives. So again sir, I think you misunderstood my post, lol.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockGal View Post
    I am having a hard time understanding where all this racial sensitivity is coming from. Frankly, I'm quite sick of it. He said they were Hispanic because they WERE, period. When LEO are speaking the first thing they do is state the race followed by the gender of the person. If he'd said there were three Caucasian males sitting outside drinking is someone going to have a problem with that too? Doubtful. I agree totally with the taking of pictures and a written submission to the manager of the property, absolutely have proof and a paper trail of complaint.
    My thoughts exactly !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Keep a case of cold beer in the fridge. Next time you see the beer drinking loiterers, take a cold one out for each of them as a peace offering. Say "Sorry we got off to a bad start the other night, heres a couple of beers." Do it until they're your buds; they may end up protecting your place instead of robbing it or messing up your car. I know this sounds idealistic, but it may be worth a try. Massad Ayoob has written about keeping a $20 bill folded up in his pocket so if he's confronted by a group of guys, he can toss it to them and say, "I don't want any trouble. Look, here's 20 bucks, go get yourselves some beers on me" just to defuse a tense situation.

Of course, it may be like feeding stray cats; you'll never get rid of them.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Check out govdeals.com. They are a clearing house for government surplus all over the country. It doesn't matter local, state, or federal government they can do them all. Go to their office section and you may find a safe like file cabinet (one that has the big combo lock). This should work well for a handgun and small item safe. Hope the situation clears up. Take care of yourself and stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    Keep a case of cold beer in the fridge. Next time you see the beer drinking loiterers, take a cold one out for each of them as a peace offering. Say "Sorry we got off to a bad start the other night, heres a couple of beers." Do it until they're your buds; they may end up protecting your place instead of robbing it or messing up your car. I know this sounds idealistic, but it may be worth a try. Massad Ayoob has written about keeping a $20 bill folded up in his pocket so if he's confronted by a group of guys, he can toss it to them and say, "I don't want any trouble. Look, here's 20 bucks, go get yourselves some beers on me" just to defuse a tense situation.

Of course, it may be like feeding stray cats; you'll never get rid of them.
    not bashing, but I REALLY dont think I would do that, no need letting a bad element get any closer to you than they all ready are, and you most definately dont want them thinking you are gonna be pals,

no need misleading them, keep your distance from them and watch your 6

I'm not trying to be flip about the situation that the OP finds himself in. I sympathize, I really do. I have lived in apartment complexes before.

But, the situation that the OP is in right now is exactly why I will never, for any reason, live in an apartment complex again. Never.

Heck, the houses in our subdivision are about 40 feet apart and I find that too close.

We rent the house. We are currently saving for a good down payment on a home we will purchase in the future. And believe me, it will be on some property, and if I can make it the way we want, we won't be bale to see our nearest neighbors except maybe in the winter time.

Bottom line is, I'm just not a "people person".
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    ....Lived recently next to drug house....didnt find that out till my LEO neighbor told me. So I can see how one can find themselves in this situation with no way to change it quickly.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
    What does the fact these men were hispanic have to do with the situation? Unless you are trying to imply that we should think something of that fact. Please also tell me what the drug dependent stereotype is. And because some drunk guy was by your house, you assume he was pretending to be drunk and is planning on robbing you?
    You are talking like profiling is a bad thing. It is not.

Police may have been stopped from using this tool ....which I still think is stupid, but as a private citizen I believe in it for myself.

If I see those who are possible problems...it makes me more alert to those problems and the dangers those might bring.

How is that bad? If I see a pitbull dog...I know that it could be dangerous and act accordingly in avoiding it. If I see people that could be dangerous....I act accordingly by avoiding them and watching what they do. I see a bunch of youths hanging out...I make sure my car doors are locked and my purse is close. I don't care what nationality or color they are. I see someone who looks like they are a druggie (and yes they have a look to them) I avoid them. I see someone trying to peek into my home...I make sure they can't.

I understand completely what he is saying and he is right to be alert to these possible dangers.

If you don't know the indicators that could be a druggie, a thief, or a Mexican gang problem...that would be something that you lack.

What did it do to them for him to beware of them because of these traits??? Nothing. What did it do for him? Made him more alert.
    You shouldn't try to heap a guilt trip on him for legitimate tool for self protection. I vote for safety...not some "politically correct" and "blind" mindset.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links