Problems with the neighbors... already!

This is a discussion on Problems with the neighbors... already! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Problems with the neighbors... already!

And the old man said, "We'll see..."

2. Remove Ads

Naw, it would just be cool to leave the color of their skin out. You can say three idiots were sitting on my car instead of three red necks were sitting on my car. But whatever, I'm happy to go with the flow of the board.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSAM View Post
    Yeah...and?

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I know it isn't a real popular thing to say, but I profile hard... real hard. If you look like a thug or a gangsta or a biker or a neo-nazi, I'm gonna view you with extreme prejudice. Black guys in business suits don't scare me. Hispanics in mechanic's uniforms or Dockers khakis don't scare me. Your race doesn't enter the equation, only your appearance and demeanor.
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Moving could cost you big bucks.

Staying could be WAY to expensive.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Running Away

It's to bad the GANGS and THUGS run the country now and the legal law abiding citizens have to run away from where they live!
    This is an America that men are fighting and dieing for?

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    ... I work with cops, my father has 30 years and going of LE experience, and I'm a criminal justice student...
    I guess you might consider this "on the job training", living near the element of which you may be working around in the future.

Yeah, I'm trying to be the optimist here.

Any updates?

I certainly understand the part about parking where you want, even if it is close to those guys. My first reaction is: "So what? These guys oughta move out of my way, I'm parking (or going/sitting/walking etc.) where I want. That just seems to be part of how little 5 ' 8 " me is wired. But as the Good Book says, Pride goes before a fall. You have to avoid the situation and moving somewhere else goes with that. I moved out to a little country town over an hour's drive from my work years ago just to avoid all the crap going on closer in to the city (Detroit) and I'm glad I did. It's worth it. No more shot-out car windows, no more brick-bats through my house windows, no more funny little phone calls threatening my family. There's still a few goofy weirdos here in this little town but overall I feel like we're safer, especially since I have a bigger lot, a dog, movement-detector lights, locks, and some firearms...

Regarding the shotgun and carbine, get the shotgun first, a nice 12 or 20 gauge. I'm getting a carbine next myself, thinking about one that shoots both .357 Magnum and .38 Special.
    The first rule of self-defense is to avoid the situation. The second rule is Train and Prepare.

Problems with the neighbors...already!

I certainly understand the part about parking where you want, even if it is close to those guys. My first reaction is: "So what? These guys oughta move out of my way, I'm parking (or going/sitting/walking etc.) where I want." That just seems to be part of how little 5 ' 8 " me is wired. But as the Good Book says, Pride goes before a fall. You have to avoid the situation and moving somewhere else goes with that. I moved out to a little country town over an hour's drive from my work years ago just to avoid all the crap going on closer in to the city (Detroit) and I'm glad I did. It's worth it. No more shot-out car windows, no more brick-bats through my house windows, no more funny little phone calls threatening my family. There's still a few goofy weirdos here in this little town but overall I feel like we're safer, especially since I have a bigger lot, a dog, movement-detector lights, locks, and some firearms...

Regarding the shotgun and carbine, get the shotgun first, a nice 12 or 20 gauge. I'm getting a carbine next myself, thinking about one that shoots both .357 Magnum and .38 Special.
    The first rule of self-defense is to avoid the situation. The second rule is Train and Prepare.

Race is the most obvious identifying feature and when you are trying to paint a picture it is ridiculous to leave that out.

Imagine this conversation...

Cop: Can you tell me what happened?

You: I was improperly touched with a large metal piece of sports equipment, that was accelerated at a high velocity in a orbital motion.

Cop: Um, you were hit with a bat?

You: Yes.

Cop: Ok, who did it?

You: They were medium build about, about my height and were standing right here?

Cop: Was it a male?

You: I don't know, gender shouldn't matter this was a legal infraction of violence and could have been perpetrated by any gender.

Cop: Ok, were they black, white or hispanic?

You: Race is unimportant, I don't see race, I only see the beauty within.

Cop: Ok, you are under arrest.

You: Why?

Cop: You perfectly represent the description provided to us by an assault victim?

You: By who? I am the one reporting the assault!

Cop: It doesn't really matter by who, this was a violent attack against an innocent individual, perpetrated by someone of your height standing where you are.

If you see a dog you don't say "a dog" you say a black dog, a white dog, a German Shepard dog, a Poodle, a beagle. It usually describes the size, shape, hair color, and eye color of the dog.

If I say I was approached by a "pitbull with foam coming out of its mouth and it was running towards me" it paints a picture.

Now it may be my dog, happy to see me, tail wagging, carrying a soapy sponge that I had been washing my car with. Assuming the dog was going to attack me, or that I was in danger, based on the single line would have been an error made on stereotypes.

The line "three hispanic men were sitting on the curb (at night, in the rain, drinking beer)."

To me that paints a picture of three men with a darker skin tone, black hair, brown eyes, likely 5'8" or shorter. Then combined with what they were doing I would say they likely had on bagger clothes. None of this negative, but it helps paint the scene.
    Last edited by NC Buckeye; September 6th, 2009 at 02:12 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links