Problems with the neighbors... already!

This is a discussion on Problems with the neighbors... already! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am now living in an apartment complex in Centreville, VA. I just moved this week and I've had several interesting things happen. 1. We ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Problems with the neighbors... already!

Problems with the neighbors... already!

I am now living in an apartment complex in Centreville, VA. I just moved this week and I've had several interesting things happen.

1. We were out on the patio during a party and a guy came up, pretending to be drunk, lying about his job, etc., and obviously casing the place. He managed to get information about my female roommate's car from her, what we do, and peeked his head inside to see our nice new tv.

2. Before work, a young woman fitting the drug depended stereotype ran up to me saying she needed to get somewhere "for a family emergency". She didn't seem too upset, just a shady chick asking for a ride from a stranger.

3. Tonight, I pulled my car into a space where three hispanic men were sitting on the curb (at night, in the rain, drinking beer). I saw then sitting there, so I actually turned my lights off, pulled into the spot slowly, and left plenty of room for them. I went out back for a smoke and see them sitting on the hood of my car, so I went out to ask them not to. I asked nicely three times using varying language, but he insisted he didn't understand me and they kept ignoring me going back to their conversation. I eventually said "get the hell of my car". Then suddenly they speaky da engless. They start telling me they didn't hurt my car, etc. and I said it wasn't about that, its about respect and courtesy, and related it to going into their house and sitting on their furniture. They started getting a little upity, but they weren't on the car anymore so I said thank you and to have a good night. The leader told me to have a good night, then as I'm walking away he told me to keep my problems in my apartment and not to come outside with them. I ignored them and they start walking toward me telling each other how much of a tough guy I think I am. I see that I'm in the breezeway and getting closed in on, so I walk towards them to try and be in the open. They kinda back off, so I take the patio route to my house. Then he starts saying it doesn't matter where I'm from blah blah blah, I just walked inside and closed the door. I'm pretty sure my car is gonna be messed up tomorrow, from his pants or otherwise. Sheesh, I've only been here 3 nights!
    I've been armed every time.

Any thoughts? I cant move, its just not an option.

2. Remove Ads

What does the fact these men were hispanic have to do with the situation? Unless you are trying to imply that we should think something of that fact. Please also tell me what the drug dependent stereotype is. And because some drunk guy was by your house, you assume he was pretending to be drunk and is planning on robbing you?

I would move.

Why can't you move?
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Take anything of value out of your car

Secure your apartment, and any documents with your information on them secure them in a safe deposit box or a safe.

Call the police non emergency line and ask for drive through, when ever you want. And call 911 when you see people like the guys on your car, the drunk guy, or the drug girl

Stay armed, keep your cool

Keep us posted

You have to be careful about how you speak to people, no matter how justified you were. When you're outnumbered three to one by guys who've been drinking, it's best to just stay inside the house and call the cops.

Even if the cops refused to come out over somebody sitting on your car, at least they'd have a report, your personal info and description of the suspects, if something bad happens to you later.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Ah...yes...the neighbors. I moved earlier this year closer to work because of schedule changes. Loved living 'out', but just wasn't feasible any more nor the drive to work 120 miles round trip. We've had the bouts in our apartment complex as well. Couple of crackheads lived downstairs for a while and apparently babysat a couple of kids this past summer and let them run rampant to play and jump off any other tenants vehicles and such. A peeping tom, almost got molested by a pit bull another tenant had out on the grounds without a leash, some weird dude who likes to spy on us and asks for old cigarette butts, the black lady (politically correct now?) who walks around talking to herself and motioning with her hands while she talks to this 'other being', etc......... It is rather interesting though....you just can't get a regular sampling of society living out in the country away from it all.
    Give your local gendarmes a respectful call and ask them to do a drive-by due to some disturbances. That alone usually works wonders, and a lot of times there ends up being more to it than that.

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    I am now living in an apartment complex in Centreville, VA. I just moved this week and I've had several interesting things happen.

1. We were out on the patio during a party and a guy came up, pretending to be drunk, lying about his job, etc., and obviously casing the place. He managed to get information about my female roommate's car from her, what we do, and peeked his head inside to see our nice new tv.

2. Before work, a young woman fitting the drug depended stereotype ran up to me saying she needed to get somewhere "for a family emergency". She didn't seem too upset, just a shady chick asking for a ride from a stranger.

3. Tonight, I pulled my car into a space where three hispanic men were sitting on the curb (at night, in the rain, drinking beer). I saw then sitting there, so I actually turned my lights off, pulled into the spot slowly, and left plenty of room for them. I went out back for a smoke and see them sitting on the hood of my car, so I went out to ask them not to. I asked nicely three times using varying language, but he insisted he didn't understand me and they kept ignoring me going back to their conversation. I eventually said "get the hell of my car". Then suddenly they speaky da engless. They start telling me they didn't hurt my car, etc. and I said it wasn't about that, its about respect and courtesy, and related it to going into their house and sitting on their furniture. They started getting a little upity, but they weren't on the car anymore so I said thank you and to have a good night. The leader told me to have a good night, then as I'm walking away he told me to keep my problems in my apartment and not to come outside with them. I ignored them and they start walking toward me telling each other how much of a tough guy I think I am. I see that I'm in the breezeway and getting closed in on, so I walk towards them to try and be in the open. They kinda back off, so I take the patio route to my house. Then he starts saying it doesn't matter where I'm from blah blah blah, I just walked inside and closed the door. I'm pretty sure my car is gonna be messed up tomorrow, from his pants or otherwise. Sheesh, I've only been here 3 nights!
    I've been armed every time.

Any thoughts? I cant move, its just not an option.
    Wow, thats not a great way to start off by no means.
    1. This guy got way too close and obviously got WAY too much infor from your girlfriend. I would have done the talking and not let that much info get out. Shut the curtain or patio door and not let him get a view of the inside of your apartment.

2. No harm no foul, You did good by not giving her a ride I believe. Sounds like I wouldnt want these folks in my car either.

3.I would have parked in a different location, I wouldnt have seen them knowing they were drinking and still parked near them. I think in this situation and when you came back out to tell them to get off of your car, well I think you may have gotten within 21' of them and that not a good idea either. I would kept my distance and instructed them to get off my car if I was going totell them. And I didnt see anypart about you calling the police.

Confrontations, no matter how small need to be reported. This way you have a report on file just incase another incident happens. Personally I would have called the police as soon as I pulled up an saw these guys in the rain, drinking beer, then when they gave you some lip that should have cealed the deal.. Sounds like you have your work cut out at this place. Stay safe

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Pictures. Be obvious... make sure the flash is on. Ask the vatos to get closer together and smile...gimme yer gang sign. Take pictures through the window. It's amazing how camera-shy some people can be...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
    What does the fact these men were hispanic have to do with the situation? Unless you are trying to imply that we should think something of that fact. Please also tell me what the drug dependent stereotype is. And because some drunk guy was by your house, you assume he was pretending to be drunk and is planning on robbing you?

I would move.
    If you were from No Va. you would understand.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Oldskool,
    I'm not sure I explained myself well. I am not a racist in any light. I use my knowledge, gut feelings, and emperical evidence from years of living in Northern Virginia to come to my conclusions. I apologize if I came off that way, but if I were speaking to someone in N.VA they wouldn't be asking the same questions. I suppose I failed to consider my audience in my post and I apologize.
    And no I don't think every drunk guy is trying to rob me. I work with cops, my father has 30 years and going of LE experience, and I'm a criminal justice student. We call that behavior "hinky", and there are some things that you will just have to trust my instincts on, not because I'm paranoid, but because they are often difficult to articulate or prove.
    I actually heard the drunk guy ask my roommate "so do you drive that mustang out there?" (there is no mustang in the parking lot, never was) and she opened up by saying "no I drive a _____" and he was more than happy to take a look get her alone in the parking lot. Making me go outside and bring her in. She actually overheard the guy the next day in the grocery store telling a story about how he lied about his mode of transportation, job, etc. My roommate later told me that he was talking about how he used to "garage hop", checking open garage refrigerators for booze.

Drug stereotype... well, it's the kind of thing you see on "Cops". Poor complexion, blisters from scratching, cracked lips, rotten teeth, unusual speech patterns, pupil dilation, etc. Maybe she's just... unusual?

Can't move cuz I just signed a lease with no option of sublet.

So the question of the day.... Shotgun or carbine?

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    If you were from No Va. you would understand.
    I'm from Chicago, and I understand quite clearly.

Thanks VAROB you got to it before me!

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    The best way to win a gunfight is not to be there. Move, move now. Check the laws of your state and see if you can break the lease. Move in with a friend, but that is not the place to have you and yours. Park you car someplace else for now and make sure your female roommate has at least pepper if not a sidearm with her.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    Oldskool,
    I'm not sure I explained myself well. I am not a racist in any light. I use my knowledge, gut feelings, and emperical evidence from years of living in Northern Virginia to come to my conclusions. I apologize if I came off that way, but if I were speaking to someone in N.VA they wouldn't be asking the same questions. I suppose I failed to consider my audience in my post and I apologize.
    And no I don't think every drunk guy is trying to rob me. I work with cops, my father has 30 years and going of LE experience, and I'm a criminal justice student. We call that behavior "hinky", and there are some things that you will just have to trust my instincts on, not because I'm paranoid, but because they are often difficult to articulate or prove.
    I actually heard the drunk guy ask my roommate "so do you drive that mustang out there?" (there is no mustang in the parking lot, never was) and she opened up by saying "no I drive a _____" and he was more than happy to take a look get her alone in the parking lot. Making me go outside and bring her in. She actually overheard the guy the next day in the grocery store telling a story about how he lied about his mode of transportation, job, etc. My roommate later told me that he was talking about how he used to "garage hop", checking open garage refrigerators for booze.

Drug stereotype... well, it's the kind of thing you see on "Cops". Poor complexion, blisters from scratching, cracked lips, rotten teeth, unusual speech patterns, pupil dilation, etc. Maybe she's just... unusual?

Can't move cuz I just signed a lease with no option of sublet.

So the question of the day.... Shotgun or carbine?
    Regarding "question of the day", don't rule out claymores and grenades....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Jimmy,

Got any for me?

"!Que Dios! Es Rambo!"

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links