CC at the County Fair

CC at the County Fair

This is a discussion on CC at the County Fair within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I wanted to take the family to the County Fair tonight. So, I check the fair's website to see if I can find their ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC at the County Fair

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar

CC at the County Fair

Well I wanted to take the family to the County Fair tonight. So, I check the fair's website to see if I can find their firearms policy. No dice.

So I call their information number and ask if a CCW holder can carry into the fair. The lady had to go ask (no biggie), but her answer was definitely lacking in the clarity dept. She told me that it was up to the LEO who was working the entrance. To press for some clarity, I asked if they used metal detectors, she said yes, i thanked her for her time and effort.

Next call was to the county Sheriff. I explained my question and the fair's answer and the dispatcher tried to get a hold of one of the deputies working the fair at the time. No Dice. So she told me that it was probably best to assume that it would be better to secure it before entering the fair. Again, thanks for time and effort.

So, given that there are metal detectors and the lack of clarity, i chose to disarm. So I get to the gate and sure enough BIG flourescent signs "No Firearms."
    The best part was that the metal detector turned out to be two kids (17 or so) with hand wands. The kid who wanded me basically just covered my front between my belt and knees. He didn't even get up from his folding chair to do it.

So I ask the LEO inside the gate his take on CC in the fair, and basically he advised against it. He said if they saw someone with a gun, they'd be thrown into the dirt first and questioned later. But then he adds, "we do have a big gang problem here."
    I thanked him and wished him a safe night.

Now there had to have been 20-25 LEO doing foot patrol inside this relatively small fair, and I felt that they were on it.
    But is it too much to ask to get a definitive answer on a firearms policy. If you're gonna have metal detectors at the door, can you be a little more thorough about it. If I was carrying in an ankle rig, he would have never noticed.

So I'm done ranting, what are your experiences in these situations?
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Senior Moderator
    The fair here is one of the places you need to carry.

I never did understand creating a target rich environment where only the bad guys could carry.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

I never did understand creating a target rich environment where only the bad guys could carry.
    yep
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

wouldnt ever visit these places that are full of CARNIES and Thugs....well i know how it is to have children and how they enjoy the fair. I also know what kind of Rif-Raff these places atract. If it wasnt for my children I

I wouldn't go the the county fair if you gave me free tickets and a limo ride to the front gate.

The fair is like a huge conference for WalMart shoppers.
    You could fill a bingo card (WW Trek bingo card) at the front entrance ticket booth line.

That's my take...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    I think it's a printing error....what the signs should have said was...NO ILLEGAL FIREARMS. Well duh........
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

The local county fair is posted "NO WEAPONS". Of course in NY you don't expect anything different.

Went to the county fair Thursday with my family. Carried openly. No one batted an eye, I was not thrown into the dirt. Just an average day with my family, except I got to see some kangaroos and wallabys on exhibit at the fair.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Thats what is nice about Ohio. If the fair is on government and, you can carry, BUT you cannot go into any buildings, unless that building is a free standing restroom.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

+1
    I don't think I would go if I couldn't carry.

I wouldn't go the the county fair if you gave me free tickets and a limo ride to the front gate.

The fair is like a huge conference for WalMart shoppers.
    You could fill a bingo card (WW Trek bingo card) at the front entrance ticket booth line.

That's my take...
    That's part of the reason for going. People watching is half the fun.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

I carry at the Vigo County Fair in my area, which is not forbidden. But, carrying at the Indiana State Fair is prohibited.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

The only time I go to the fair, I don't go in the front door, don't pass through the majority of the crowds and the 'doorman' knows me pretty damn well now!

Yes, I carry.

The point you raise about the wands is a huge issue. I was working an event, (In Washington, D.C so carrying was RIGHT OUT). And they had a security firm doing bag searches and metal detector wands. The women, the security company sent didn't even know how to turn the detector on, the event organizer had to figure it out via reading the instructions. Sadly this was an event with a major VIP who actually has death threats against him.

I suppose it would be one thing to be forced to disarm in a place where you KNEW security was tight. It is absolutely infuriating to have to do it when your security is being governed by incompetents.

I have read that you can CC at the Texas state fair. I went there once several years ago, prior to my CHL, and would not go back for any amount of money even carrying. That area of Dallas is one that you just do not go unless you have to.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Well I toyed with the idea of trying to carry anyway, but the thought of metal detectors deterred me. I was picturing the walk-kind, not skippy the wonder kid with a wand.

We did have a good time and managed to leave before the beer garden produced too many idiots.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links