Defensive Carry banner

So night number 2 carrying and I get pulled over.

5K views 42 replies 36 participants last post by  Precision 
#1 ·
So I was starting to get comfortable carrying having carried to a college campus and the county fair and some smaller places and on the way home from the fair I get stopped. :gah: I was kinda freaking out a little.

So the officer comes up and asks how I'm doing I answer and return the question he says fine and says can I see your liscense? I say "yes but I need to tell you that I have my Utah state concealed firearm permit and I do have a fire arm with me its on my right hip."

He the asked me to step out of the car and asks where the gun is and if he can take it. I let him and he said he would hold on to it for the duration of the stop. By then anoter LEO stops and starts talking to me asked if I had my permit and I said yes and asked if he would like to see it he said no he trusted me. :hand10:

Turns out they were stopping about everyone for anything because they had a lot of problems during the fair last year. I find out as we are talking that the second LEO is in my church ward ad lives very close to me. :wave: He also told me that they are in my culdasac often and I say ya thats our favorite neighbor jokingly. :rolleyes:

It went well I just had a turn signal out. The first officer placed my firearm in the trunk just to be safe and I was on my way with a warning.

So how did I do? Sorry its a little long.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds to me like Ya done good.
oldogy

#35 ·
around this end of the state it's apparently no big deal? :confused:

I low sided my motorcycle a couple of weeks ago and the responding officer (Monroe County Sheriff ) asked to see my drivers license as I was sitting in an Ambulance ( No biggy, just road rash and bruised and/or broken ribs ~~~ I drove the bike home) I handed him my drivers License and my Permit and said "I'm carrying the Ruger LCP on my right hip"

The officer said "Oh? Thanks for telling me, you sure it's still there, or should I go look through the neighbors front yard" and he handed my permit back, he didn't even bother to check my gun :smile:

I smiled and said "it's still on me, thats the third thing I checked on, right after making sure the boss and the bike were all right"

he just smiled and went about his job?

No problem at all?

#5 ·
I'd say that you did very well, but it is absolutely :bs2: that he had to put your firearm in the trunk...why?

:rant2:
This kind of crap stirs my feelings of LEO common sense. There is absolutely no need put the gun in the trunk AFTER clearing you and deciding that you would not get a ticket nor were you any kind of threat. The one cop is in your church and nieghborhood? I hope he doesn't need your immediate assistance when your gun is locked in your trunk.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
:rant2:

OK, I'm done...:blink:

#6 ·
Personally I think it would have went a lot better and quicker had you not informed them of your carry status. Not required so why volunteer the info so they can take three times longer to give you the turn signal warning?

#9 ·
I OC in the car and if stopped I'd rather them know before I go reach for my wallet and they see the gun. I don't want surprises. Even if I'm concealing, I'd rather them know that there is a gun there in case they do see it while I'm reaching for my wallet. It could be the difference between a gun in my face and a very bad stop and a good stop.

#7 ·
You done good!

I don't know if it's the law in your state to present and announce, but it's always a good idea. It's better the officer know up front that you're heeled than to accidentally find it during a pat down. Police officers don't like surprises like that, and you might end up wearing chrome bracelets for a while until the officers get everything straightened out.

I've been stopped twice while carrying - once in NC and once in SC. In NC, I had the gun on the dashboard, as prescribed by their law for non-CWP holders. The officer reached in and took my gun, informing me he would hold it for the duration of the stop. When he was finished, he put it back on the dash and I was on my way. The stop in SC was even easier. I presented my CWP along with my driver's license and informed the officer I was carrying - as prescribed by SC law. He simply said, "Don't put your hands near it." That was that.

I'm sure some posters will tell you to not inform, even if it's the law. Sorta a "what they don't know won't hurt anyone" thing. That can get you handcuffed, detained, possibly arrested, and may even result in you losing your carry permit. Think about it from the LEO's point of view. You're an unknown. More police are killed and injured at domestic calls and traffic stops than any other situation. They're a little uptight when walking up to a car. Help'em out.

#11 ·
I'm sure some posters will tell you to not inform, even if it's the law. Sorta a "what they don't know won't hurt anyone" thing. That can get you handcuffed, detained, possibly arrested, and may even result in you losing your carry permit. Think about it from the LEO's point of view. You're an unknown. More police are killed and injured at domestic calls and traffic stops than any other situation. They're a little uptight when walking up to a car. Help'em out.
In Ohio, your CHL is tied to your drivers license and tags. If you get pulled over and they run your plate, they already know you have the CHL. If you fail to inform, your toast.

#12 ·
The part about them just stopping cars at will because they had trouble at the fair bothers me,I hope they actually have PC to stop or they are violating peoples rights,I been stopped a couple times since getting my CHL and have never been disarmed.IMHO if somebody is a threat they're not gonna tell you they have a gun in the first place

#13 ·
I think you handled yourself exactly in the correct manner.

I also tend to agree with retsupt99 in regards to tossing your gun in the trunk.

I will say, it is certainly within their right to disarm you and do whatever they feel they need to do to remain safe... but I agree with ret! Uncalled for as far as I'm concerned.

#14 ·
Sounds like a successful encounter to me.

My pickup broke down one night in Hartford and a cop came up and asked me if I needed help. I said a tow truck was on the way, and by the way, I'm a permit holder carrying a pistol. He shrugged and then said he'd wait with me till the tow truck showed. Very nice guy.

#15 ·
I would hope to not be asked to disarm. It opens the door for an accidental discharge. If they unholster or if I would have to. Especially in a tuckable hoslter it would be very inconveinent to put back... seems a little odd to me

#16 ·
An inoperative turn signal is probable cause to pull over a driver; I have no problem with that. I, too would have announced my carry status and allowed the officer to take control of the weapon if he desired. But, I would have retrieved it from the trunk immediately, and right in front of them if need be, once I was cleared to be on my way.

#18 ·
I was in no hurry and I think that most LEO around here appreciate you saying something as a sign of respect. Also my CC instructor told us to always disclose (former LEO) to prevent anything happening and usually get out of a ticket
I guess I'm just too used to living out here in the sticks. I know nearly all the local LEO within 100 miles of where I live and can tell you that not one of them much cares if you have a gun or not. It's just normal here for nearly every vehicle to have some form of firearm in it at any given time.

#19 ·
Utah Gets It

Good encounter I'd say. Our LEOs here in Colo may take your gun during a contact but they must return it at the conclusion of the stop; I have no problem w/that.

Isn't it good to live in a state that gets it like Utah?

If Colo gets messed up, & it's getting to that point, I might just move there or Texas.

#21 ·
"The first officer placed my firearm in the trunk just to be safe". The state issued you a permit to CARRY a gun, I would presume they believed you would do it safely. I can't see why the officer wouldn't make the same presumption. Obviously you posed no threat to him. I agree with Bark'n, he may have had the right but there certainly was no need.

#22 ·
I think the main purpose of these type of traffic stops is to find criminals. The guy just wanted to run your license and check for warrants or dope or drunk driving or whatever. This is one way in which LEOs "Protect and Serve."

The officer seems to be forgetting the other side of the coin -- while his job exists to help ensure your safety, he has made his own safety his only priority -- and left you without your chosen means of self defense. It is even more ironic, because they "had a lot of problems during the fair last year." Not to mention, they, personally, are called to your neighborhood often.

What does he expect you to do, drive all the way home with your gun in the trunk, just so he can feel safe? Or just wait until he has pulled away and then retrieve your gun? That seems frivolous. Honestly, I don't even know if I can think of a reason that he should disarm you in the first place.

#23 ·
You did very well. Too bad they felt it necessary to take your weapon instead of just leaving it on you but oh well! :wink:

#24 ·
I realize that taking my firearm and putting it in the trunk is upsetting some of you and i totally understand why. It was a bit of a hassle for me and a little inconvienent but all in all I was just happy that it went well being new to carrying AND getting stopped I was freaking out a bit starting to carry is nerve racking enough let alone with that in the mix. So I guess what I'm saying is that it could have been worse and I made it home ok, they were obviously out doing their jobs and I thank them for that. I'm glad for a nonincident.

#26 ·
Stopped!

My hands are placed on the top of the steering wheel palms open.
The drivers window has already been rolled down before coming to stop.

When the LEO approaches. I inform him/her that I am armed and where the gun is and I have a CCW permit.

The rest! What he /she requests within reason.

As an Former LEO I always watched the hands during the traffic stops.

#27 ·
I don't get the trunk thing at all. I would've ask the officer, if it's okay that I rearm after you leave right?:blink: Just to see what he said. If he said no, I think a call to his station would've been in order. Unless that's the law in your state for some crazy reason.

#28 ·
I think taking control of the firearm was just a little too much. A bad guy wouldn't have disclosed that he was carrying. I've only ever had one contact with an Officer, a Dep. Sheriff, while I was carrying due to an accident, and when I informed him according to state law, he said something like, "yea, okay." That's how it's suppossed to be.

#29 ·
Sounds like the first cop went a little overboard. I live in Provo, UT so I'm familiar with the state regs. You are required to inform.

Having said that, Utah allows concealed carry in your vehicle without a permit. The officer shouldn't have asked you to step out of your vehicle just because you told him you have a gun, shouldn't have asked you for your gun as the more any firearm is handled, the more likely a ND happens, and shouldn't have put your gun in your trunk. You were following the law.

I would talk to the cop in your ward and find out if that was normal proceedure. I doubt that it was. If it is not, then I would file a complaint with the PD.

#30 ·
well i think all went well, you did fine. I would have retrieved my firearm as soon as the officer left.

I know there safety is a big issue and they are just looking out for themselves. I dont have a problem with that either. If we make a stop over here and the person is an Iraqi Official and he is wearing civilian clother, We do and have removed his weapon from him.

Its all about the officers safety. Just try putting yourself in their shoes.
If you have never stopped or questioned a COMPLETE STRANGER that was armed, well it can be quite nerve racking at times.

#43 ·
Its all about the officers safety. Just try putting yourself in their shoes.
If you have never stopped or questioned a COMPLETE STRANGER that was armed, well it can be quite nerve racking at times.

I don't see why being informed that I have a gun would make your nerves on edge. Finding it without being informed, maybe. Having it suddenly appear in my hand pointed at you definitely.

But the (uniformed civilians) Police need to get used to people having guns on them.

I disarmed ONCE for a twitchy police officer upon informing him of my status. I SERIOUSLY doubt I will do it again, especially on my property. The other 3 or 4 LEO encounters have not even requested that I disarm.

#32 ·
I live in Provo, UT so I'm familiar with the state regs. You are required to inform.
So when did the law change in Utah about informing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.