Defensive Carry banner

So night number 2 carrying and I get pulled over.

5K views 42 replies 36 participants last post by  Precision 
#1 ·
So I was starting to get comfortable carrying having carried to a college campus and the county fair and some smaller places and on the way home from the fair I get stopped. :gah: I was kinda freaking out a little.

So the officer comes up and asks how I'm doing I answer and return the question he says fine and says can I see your liscense? I say "yes but I need to tell you that I have my Utah state concealed firearm permit and I do have a fire arm with me its on my right hip."

He the asked me to step out of the car and asks where the gun is and if he can take it. I let him and he said he would hold on to it for the duration of the stop. By then anoter LEO stops and starts talking to me asked if I had my permit and I said yes and asked if he would like to see it he said no he trusted me. :hand10:

Turns out they were stopping about everyone for anything because they had a lot of problems during the fair last year. I find out as we are talking that the second LEO is in my church ward ad lives very close to me. :wave: He also told me that they are in my culdasac often and I say ya thats our favorite neighbor jokingly. :rolleyes:

It went well I just had a turn signal out. The first officer placed my firearm in the trunk just to be safe and I was on my way with a warning.

So how did I do? Sorry its a little long.

See less See more
#33 ·
I think it's kinda silly for the LEO to take your firearm and make a
simple stop a dog and pony show,GG informing LEOs that they are
carrying are not a threat.

I would think folks driving by see someone waving a gun around
would draw some unwanted attention.
If I wanted everyone to know I was carrying a GUN I would put stickers or a sign on My truck.

#34 ·
I'm pretty sure the law in Utah does not require that citizen inform. You handled it reasonably, though. Personally, unless the law requires otherwise, I think it is most logical to only inform if the LEO puts you in a situation that makes it likely the officer could discover your weapon (e.g. asks you to step out of the car).

#39 ·
Sure is they can regulate it just like any other private company and USU is one that is CC friendly. Front Sight actually did a deal where any USU student could get a 4 day handgun course for free when USU announced that they would allow CC but that was a few years ago and I missed out.:frown:

#40 ·
To, or not to. Do inform and things will probably go the way the OP described.

Don't inform and you get a gun pointed at your head by a LEO whose adrenalin just shot through the roof.

What should I do, what should I do, what should I do?

#42 ·
sounds like it went good to me and you did the right
thing by going ahead and telling the officer you had a permit
and a gun with you. Even if you dont have to disclose that you
had a permit and a gun it shows respect and safety to the officer.
If you didnt tell the officer and he saw your gun he may have drawn
his weapon on you?? Taking your gun and putting it in the trunk just
sounds cautiously smart for the officer to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.