So night number 2 carrying and I get pulled over.

So night number 2 carrying and I get pulled over.

This is a discussion on So night number 2 carrying and I get pulled over. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was starting to get comfortable carrying having carried to a college campus and the county fair and some smaller places and on the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So night number 2 carrying and I get pulled over.

Question So night number 2 carrying and I get pulled over.

So I was starting to get comfortable carrying having carried to a college campus and the county fair and some smaller places and on the way home from the fair I get stopped. I was kinda freaking out a little.

So the officer comes up and asks how I'm doing I answer and return the question he says fine and says can I see your liscense? I say "yes but I need to tell you that I have my Utah state concealed firearm permit and I do have a fire arm with me its on my right hip."

He the asked me to step out of the car and asks where the gun is and if he can take it. I let him and he said he would hold on to it for the duration of the stop. By then anoter LEO stops and starts talking to me asked if I had my permit and I said yes and asked if he would like to see it he said no he trusted me.

Turns out they were stopping about everyone for anything because they had a lot of problems during the fair last year. I find out as we are talking that the second LEO is in my church ward ad lives very close to me. He also told me that they are in my culdasac often and I say ya thats our favorite neighbor jokingly.

It went well I just had a turn signal out. The first officer placed my firearm in the trunk just to be safe and I was on my way with a warning.

So how did I do? Sorry its a little long.

Sounds to me like Ya done good.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Being a New York resident Full Carry Permit holder, I sure hope that, if pulled over, I will have the same outcome as you.

Sounds like you did fine.

I'd say that you did very well, but it is absolutely that he had to put your firearm in the trunk...why?

This kind of crap stirs my feelings of LEO common sense. There is absolutely no need put the gun in the trunk AFTER clearing you and deciding that you would not get a ticket nor were you any kind of threat. The one cop is in your church and nieghborhood? I hope he doesn't need your immediate assistance when your gun is locked in your trunk.

OK, I'm done...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Personally I think it would have went a lot better and quicker had you not informed them of your carry status. Not required so why volunteer the info so they can take three times longer to give you the turn signal warning?
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

You done good!

I don't know if it's the law in your state to present and announce, but it's always a good idea. It's better the officer know up front that you're heeled than to accidentally find it during a pat down. Police officers don't like surprises like that, and you might end up wearing chrome bracelets for a while until the officers get everything straightened out.

I've been stopped twice while carrying - once in NC and once in SC. In NC, I had the gun on the dashboard, as prescribed by their law for non-CWP holders. The officer reached in and took my gun, informing me he would hold it for the duration of the stop. When he was finished, he put it back on the dash and I was on my way. The stop in SC was even easier. I presented my CWP along with my driver's license and informed the officer I was carrying - as prescribed by SC law. He simply said, "Don't put your hands near it." That was that.

I'm sure some posters will tell you to not inform, even if it's the law. Sorta a "what they don't know won't hurt anyone" thing. That can get you handcuffed, detained, possibly arrested, and may even result in you losing your carry permit. Think about it from the LEO's point of view. You're an unknown. More police are killed and injured at domestic calls and traffic stops than any other situation. They're a little uptight when walking up to a car. Help'em out.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'd say that you did very well, but it is absolutely that he had to put your firearm in the trunk...why?

This kind of crap stirs my feelings of LEO common sense. There is absolutely no need put the gun in the trunk AFTER clearing you and deciding that you would not get a ticket nor were you any kind of threat. The one cop is in your church and nieghborhood? I hope he doesn't need your immediate assistance when your gun is locked in your trunk.

OK, I'm done...
    I see your point but I'm just glad it went the way it did and I was only a few blocks from home so no big deal. He did say that if I wanted to get it out down the road or after he left that was fine.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    Personally I think it would have went a lot better and quicker had you not informed them of your carry status. Not required so why volunteer the info so they can take three times longer to give you the turn signal warning?
    I OC in the car and if stopped I'd rather them know before I go reach for my wallet and they see the gun. I don't want surprises. Even if I'm concealing, I'd rather them know that there is a gun there in case they do see it while I'm reaching for my wallet. It could be the difference between a gun in my face and a very bad stop and a good stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    I was in no hurry and I think that most LEO around here appreciate you saying something as a sign of respect. Also my CC instructor told us to always disclose (former LEO) to prevent anything happening and usually get out of a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    I'm sure some posters will tell you to not inform, even if it's the law. Sorta a "what they don't know won't hurt anyone" thing. That can get you handcuffed, detained, possibly arrested, and may even result in you losing your carry permit. Think about it from the LEO's point of view. You're an unknown. More police are killed and injured at domestic calls and traffic stops than any other situation. They're a little uptight when walking up to a car. Help'em out.
    In Ohio, your CHL is tied to your drivers license and tags. If you get pulled over and they run your plate, they already know you have the CHL. If you fail to inform, your toast.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

The part about them just stopping cars at will because they had trouble at the fair bothers me,I hope they actually have PC to stop or they are violating peoples rights,I been stopped a couple times since getting my CHL and have never been disarmed.IMHO if somebody is a threat they're not gonna tell you they have a gun in the first place
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I think you handled yourself exactly in the correct manner.

I also tend to agree with retsupt99 in regards to tossing your gun in the trunk.

I will say, it is certainly within their right to disarm you and do whatever they feel they need to do to remain safe... but I agree with ret! Uncalled for as far as I'm concerned.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sounds like a successful encounter to me.

My pickup broke down one night in Hartford and a cop came up and asked me if I needed help. I said a tow truck was on the way, and by the way, I'm a permit holder carrying a pistol. He shrugged and then said he'd wait with me till the tow truck showed. Very nice guy.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

cmb
    I would hope to not be asked to disarm. It opens the door for an accidental discharge. If they unholster or if I would have to. Especially in a tuckable hoslter it would be very inconveinent to put back... seems a little odd to me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links