Mandate qualifing w/carry gun?

This is a discussion on Mandate qualifing w/carry gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 1911luver Who here feels those who have a carry permit,even in shall issue state should be mandated to qualify with a gun ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mandate qualifing w/carry gun?

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    Who here feels those who have a carry permit,even in shall issue state should be mandated to qualify with a gun before being able to carry it? I ask as i've encountered people at the range who can barely keep the bullets on the target and then tell me its their carry gun. I find this a bit disturbing as if they need that gun they may hit a bystander. I say this because if weapon qulification was mandated,then some yahoo can't carry a 20oz .44 magnum hand cannon they can't even shoot.
    OK Can I pick what you drive?

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by j21blackjack View Post
    Do you really think that a CCW class or shooting at a stationary target at a range, in the A/C, taking your time (you get the idea), proves anything about what your reaction will be staring down the barrel of some crackhead's gun?
    Texas requires some minimum training and skills before issuing a permit. Many folks who seek a permit have never fired a firearm. I see nothing wrong with requiring minimum familiarization with the firearm and learning of shooting procedures and basic safety rules as a condition to obtaining a permit. If more is required, then I think it commences to be a restriction on 2nd amendment rights. The class plus fingerprinting and photographing is all done in a single day. This process is not intened is to harass and exclude like some states appear to be doing.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Ok. lets go over this one more time. For bkc01 I never said anything about training. I said MINIMUM standard. That basicly means not shooting yourself or someone else while demonstrating that you can make the weapon function. So lets go to the I ain't paying the government for nothin' mindset. Who and how in hades do you think payed for the roads you drive on? Who do you think is gonna pay for what law enforcement your getting whether or not it's sufficient? The majority has and will always suffer for the sins of the few. Quit whining. There are some things we all have to live with because there are people out there with no values. Until you get the fact that none of us get a free ride you're always going to be out in left field. Don't bother to respond. I'm not coming back to this thread.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    If you want more state regulations move to a blue state. I am for less goverment and regulation.Do you think the bad guy will follow any regulations ?

Quote Originally Posted by llongshot View Post
    majorlk. I guess we're gonna beat that animal as long as it keeps rearing its head. I agree that it shouldn't be necessary. It's kinda like fishing. When you feel the tug you just gotta react.
    Either that, or it's a Buddhist horse; it keeps reincarnating. :)
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member

Yep! BIG difference!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaber View Post
    I applaud you for doing the right thing for "you". However, the OP asked if it should be mandatory. Being smart about it and being required are different things altogether. In my opinion, it shouldn't be required on any level, but being smart I have sought out and recieved additional training.
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

I should have made it clear a few post back.

Yes, I favor training.

Yes, I favor practice.

Yes, I would "feel good" if all citizens who could legally own firearms were highly proficient with their use, were well trained and practiced regularly, etc -- w/o government involvement.

But any and all prior restraint of exercising a right is a total different issue.

It is a ploy of the anti-RKBA crowd.
    Last edited by DaveH; August 29th, 2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Fixed the lack of parallelism -- somewhat
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Who and how in hades do you think payed for the roads you drive on? Who do you think is gonna pay for what law enforcement your getting whether or not it's sufficient? The majority has and will always suffer for the sins of the few. Quit whining. There are some things we all have to live with because there are people out there with no values. Until you get the fact that none of us get a free ride you're always going to be out in left field. Don't bother to respond. I'm not coming back to this thread.
    Spoken like a true liberal. As soon as someone disagrees and offers logical counterarguments, make some final statement that barely makes sense and leave. My post that talked about CCW shouldn't cost any money was made because bearing arms is a RIGHT, not a privelige. I don't mind paying for priveliges like driving, law enforcement, firefighters, public transportation, etc. I do however object to being taxed on constitutional rights.

VIP Member
    Who and how in hades do you think payed for the roads you drive on?
    What does the cost associated with roads have to do with RKBA?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Hey, lets say that anyone over the age of.... heck, lets say 60, must turn in their CCW permit because they MAY have some form of dementia develop within the next 30 years.

Or maybe we can pick the youngest age in which a person with Alzheimers has been documented and use that age to turn in your guns. (of course for that, we will need government access to every persons medical records!) But hey, it's all done in the name of Government paid health care! Right?

Yeah, that sounds like a safe idea!

How about we do this? Lets have everyone who carries a gun be responsible for their own actions! Let's say if you have a stray bullet hit an innocent person, you are held accountable as an individual for that little mishap and let it go at that?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Who here feels those who have a carry permit,even in shall issue state should be mandated to qualify with a gun before being able to carry it? I ask as i've encountered people at the range who can barely keep the bullets on the target and then tell me its their carry gun. I find this a bit disturbing as if they need that gun they may hit a bystander. I say this because if weapon qulification was mandated,then some yahoo can't carry a 20oz .44 magnum hand cannon they can't even shoot.
    This is an excellent question and I agree with your concern. My position is that someone seeking to obtain a CWP should not have to qualify through state testing before obtaining a CWP. It would give too much regulatory power to the state and the logistics behind such a program would be dizzying. Would you need to qualify for everyone firearm you want to conceal? What if you were carrying a .38 when you applied but later on you decided to carry a .45 or any other caliber? Would you need to go back and re-qualify?

I think a much better idea is for the state to offer free firearm training, through the police department, to those getting CWPs. Why not reward those who are being responsible enough to arm themselves and do it legally? One of my biggest obstacles in getting advanced training is finances. If Seattle sponsored firearm training for all CWP holders I would take advantage of every class and I'm sure others would do the same in their own states.

My 2 cents.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

How about we do this? Lets have everyone who carries a gun be responsible for their own actions! Let's say if you have a stray bullet hit an innocent person, you are held accountable as an individual for that little mishap and let it go at that?
    Sounds good to me!

BTW -- we need a sarcasm font, IMHO. You had me going there for a minute.

Semper Fi
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

NO,NO,NO, DO Not beleive in it,As stated before $48 more for D/L. I shoot more rounds than 2/3 a Metro area cops, At least once every 10 days Do to rain.I'm no Master but can hit what I shoot at PS it can't hurt to go through a S/D class VOLENTARY of course ; )
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    No.....too much govt. interference. If you take the CCW class and all the tests for proficiency with a .22 revolver, no one should be able to tell you that you can NOT carry a .357 or a .44 mag. That is OUR business as FREE citizens.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kmbrcstm2 View Post
    I think a much better idea is for the state to offer free firearm training, through the police department, to those getting CWPs. Why not reward those who are being responsible enough to arm themselves and do it legally?
    So you want ME to pay for YOUR training? No thanks.

I think everyone should be required by law to demonstrate minimal proficiency with firearms, just like we need to demonstrate proficiency before driving a car.

With rights come responsibility. Just as freedom is not free, rights are not free, either.

And spare us the driving is a privilege nonsense.

You know....you bring up some other points to consider here. For one.....just look at how many people shouldn't even be allowed to drive a vehicle! Some people shouldn't even be allowed to breathe or breed the way I see it. Welcome to being part of humanity.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links