Mandate qualifing w/carry gun?

This is a discussion on Mandate qualifing w/carry gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think it falls into the category of "too much." It'd be like having to requalify for your driver's license if you bought a new ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mandate qualifing w/carry gun?

I think it falls into the category of "too much."

It'd be like having to requalify for your driver's license if you bought a new car, or are even just borrowing your brother's car just for a drive down to the grocery. The assumption is that after the initial qualification, that it is up to you to make sure you are safe and sufficiently proficient with whatever you carry.

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

I want to know: Did 1911lover have a grin on his face and duck below the monitor when the "submit reply" button was pressed?

Just watched a documentary on Hitler earlier today. The similarities between the moves made by Germany under Hitler are so close to some of the directions this government of ours is headed. The talk of determining who will be afforded health care and who will not. The talk of registration of firearms and bans on others. WE NEED THE GOVERNMENT OUT OF OUR LIVES, NOT MORE INVASIVELY INTO IT!

The second amendment gives every law abiding citizen the right to self defense. Neither Obama, nor anyone else should tell us how to qualify that statement.

With that said, Texas CHL holders had to qualify at the range and requalify every 5 years. The requirements are posted at: Texas Best CHL and Firearms Training - Course of fire for CHL range qualification . You must score at least 175 out of 250 possible points, and that is not that hard. You shoot a total of 20 shots from a distance of 9 feet with a total of 100 points available at that distance. You shoot a total of 20 shots from 21 feet with a total of 100 points possible. You shoot a total of 10 shots from 45 feet with a total of 50 points available. You should be able to easily make your qualifying score within 21 feet from the target.

Also, at least in Texas, it is considered a defensive shot if the BG is within 30 feet and presenting a danger that would make any normal person fear for their life. If you can't hit your target within 30 feet, you probably would not have qualified at the range.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

Things have changed since I first shot a pistol in Arizona back in 62. No permit, no background check, nothing. It was a different world. In fact, you could leave your door unlocked. However now, with the number of deranged people (like the guy that shot up Virginia Tech) I'm all for permits and a training requirement. I think a background check is perfectly in order. If somebody had been paying attention, the V. Tech massacre would never have happened. They had all the information on that guy they needed but he fell through the bureaucratic cracks. I'm sad to say it's come to this.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I vote for ZERO qualification requirements. Every new rule puts us on a steeper slippery slope. If a gun buyer looks a little "slow" then the salesperson should steer them into a revolver. Other than that, "Get off of my lawn"!

Well i certainly didn't mean to open a can of worms on this issue,I was sharing some thoughts I had and was looking for feedback from others. With that said I'd like to state I'm all for gun right and carrying obviously,I just feel states should maybe at least restrict permit holders to the caliber they qualify with.

This is the case in my home state of Rhode Island as up there I had to qualify with a .45 caliber gun as that is what I wanted to carry BUT I could also carry any smaller caliber but nothing larger. They didn't need me to qualify on every gun I owned or wanted to carry,just the caliber of gun I wanted to carry and only the caliber of the weapon was listed on the permit,no make/model/serial number etc.

Again my intent with this thread was to get others views besides my own on this subject. I just feel like its a bit of flawed logic when some can shoot one round of of a .22 and conceal carry a .44,again just my opinion.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

I think mandatory training and qualification requirements just don't go far enough to address the real issue.

What's really needed are strong laws which prohibit shooting another person without legal justification, reckless discharge of firearms, and the real capstone, any use of a firearm in the commission of a criminal enterprise.

That's the kind laws I could strongly support. Man, if only we had some of those. Then we'd all be safe. Oh, wait . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    So you want ME to pay for YOUR training? No thanks.

I think everyone should be required by law to demonstrate minimal proficiency with firearms, just like we need to demonstrate proficiency before driving a car.

With rights come responsibility. Just as freedom is not free, rights are not free, either.

And spare us the driving is a privilege nonsense.
    So you want ME to pay for YOUR staffing and facility costs for the state to test minimal proficiency with firearms? No thanks.

What's the difference? Why should I have to pay for proficiency testing? I already pay for my own training through defensive training schools and now I have to pay for everyone else too?

There are already shooting proficiency tests that take place for law enforcement officers. How difficult would it be to have a few civilians sit in on those same proficiency tests that are already in place and already paid for?

Another way to look at this is if SHTF, you will not in all likelihood be shooting at a bad guy at 5, 7, 15 or 25 yards. It's probably going to be 2 or 3 feet.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    ....How about we do this? Lets have everyone who carries a gun be responsible for their own actions! Let's say if you have a stray bullet hit an innocent person, you are held accountable as an individual for that little mishap and let it go at that?
    +100

But I'll add. How about we require everyone to be responsible for all their actions? What ever happened to personal ownership?
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    Who here feels those who have a carry permit,even in shall issue state should be mandated to qualify with a gun before being able to carry it? I ask as i've encountered people at the range who can barely keep the bullets on the target and then tell me its their carry gun. I find this a bit disturbing as if they need that gun they may hit a bystander. I say this because if weapon qulification was mandated,then some yahoo can't carry a 20oz .44 magnum hand cannon they can't even shoot.
    Not me. I have the right to bear arms without qualification of anything other than being a citizen in good lawful standing. Lets stop trying to legislate stupid. Stupid people have the same rights as smart safe people.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Not me. I have the right to bear arms without qualification of anything other than being a citizen in good lawful standing. Lets stop trying to legislate stupid. Stupid people have the same rights as smart safe people.
    Im glad Im not the only one in town with the same opinion.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I don't know a answer that would make everyone happy, but i do remember that 8yrs. ago when i got my ccw permit from ky. That out of a class of about 30,there was 4 that had a right to bear arms, but they had no business ,ability wise to handle any weapon.

They did pass the B.S. shooting requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Amen!

How long are we going to keep beating this animal - until it's just a grease spot on the roadway?
    You may as well take some aspirin now since all this thread is going to do is become a big headache! This is one of those things that you either agree with or disagree with, period. Since 99% of the opinions expressed here are already set in stone, no amount of discussion is going to change a thing. The best we can probably hope for is to simply agree to disagree and respect (those that don't know it's meaning can look the word up in the dictionary ) everyone's right to have an opinion.

FWIW, since I live in Texas the original question doesn't really apply here because we already must qualify with a gun at the range to get a CC permit, whether I agree or not. OTOH, I recently renewed my CC permit and actually enjoyed my time at the range since I consider ANY time spent at the gun range as time well spent! Anyway, agree or not, like it or not that's the way it is here in Texas and many other states. If any individual doesn't like it or feels it's against their 2A rights to be required to have a permit, they can always carry w/o a permit... but don't get caught and don't cry in your beer when you're forced to pay the consequences if you are.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

VIP Member
    And this thread is about to die if you guys don't keep it civil.
    Attached Images
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links