Mandate qualifing w/carry gun? - Page 7

Mandate qualifing w/carry gun?

This is a discussion on Mandate qualifing w/carry gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SelfDefense I think they should not be allowed to carry a firearm. There is absolutely no excuse to be so ignorant as ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Mandate qualifing w/carry gun?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I think they should not be allowed to carry a firearm. There is absolutely no excuse to be so ignorant as to not be able to read and write. I wouldn't trust anyone so developmentally challenged to drive a car no less wield a deadly weapon. Would you want someone driving that could not read the street signs?
    Does the rest of the Constitution apply to them as well? They can't read or write so they have not freedom of speech, they are subject to unlawful searches, none of the other rights guaranteed in the Bill of Rights apply to them.

If memory serves me correct, something like 90% of the people in America were illiterate when the Constitution was written. Where does it say in the Bill of Rights they only apply to those that can read them?

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Does the rest of the Constitution apply to them as well?
    The Constitution applies to the Federal government.

If memory serves me correct, something like 90% of the people in America were illiterate when the Constitution was written.
    You're the second person to pull some whacky number about the idea that the vast majority of Americans were ignorant and illiterate. You actually believe that 2.7 MILLION people of the 3 million citizens could not read or write? Do you have any credible evidence to back up that seemingly ridiculous assertion?

Where does it say in the Bill of Rights they only apply to those that can read them?
    The Bill of Rights applies to the Federal government.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    In SC we have to pass a written and shooting test, I see nothing wrong with this, even if the 2A says nothing about qualifing. I think it just makes good sense. If I had the money I would seek out additional training, and I am hoping things go well enough the rest of this year to alow me to do so.
    And...our course here in SC, goes over the legal aspects of CC: Castle Doctrine, defense while in public, and where to carry/not to carry. We have a little bit more of a process to gain our CWP. I am in favor of that. I have a little bit of trouble with the "shall issue" to applicants who probably have no concept of the legalities of CC.

Because of this, South Carolina has NO reciprocity with other states due to its requirements for training. A pain in the arse but needed, IMHO...
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Prior discussion on mandated training, from yesterday/today: click.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    And...our course here in SC, goes over the legal aspects of CC: Castle Doctrine, defense while in public, and where to carry/not to carry. We have a little bit more of a process to gain our CWP. I am in favor of that. I have a little bit of trouble with the "shall issue" to applicants who probably have no concept of the legalities of CC.

Because of this, South Carolina has NO reciprocity with other states due to its requirements for training. A pain in the arse but needed, IMHO...
    I'm not sure the hours you have to spend but Ohio has the same requirements. I was taught all of those things in my class. That is not the reason you have no reciprocity.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    And yet you have a copy of the Constitution as your Avatar?
    [/B]
    Bark - You do know who you speak too. Right? Someone who said "The Bill of Rights is a joke... The Bill of Rights was entirely counterproductive.... Most of the Amendments should be repealed."

Someone not to be taken seriously no matter what avatar they use. I only wish their comments in quotes were ignored as well. ANY thing this man says in regards to the Constitution should be ignored as something he *really* doesn't believe in anyway. Well accept the part where he said "the bill of rights is a joke." I believe he meant that.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

I live in Louisiana where a Police Officer has to qualify with not only his duty weapon but with every gun he plan on carrying including backups. I think a civilian should have to qualify with every gun they plan on carrying.

I think that everyone that carries SHOULD practice, practice, practice. I understand the concept of qualifying, but it would be almost impossible to police.
    And speaking of police, I am a volunteer with a police department and I owned a pistol range. Most police officers are lousy shots. When qualifying time comes up, pistol ranges get busy. I have seen some terrible targets (full body) at 15 feet.
    Some officers never take their pistols out of the holster, except to qualify, and it shows.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    As a follow up on the ludicrous literacy rates offered for colonial America, it appears the accepted number for signature literacy in New York was 84% and slightly less in Virginia. Granted, signature literacy is not what we accept today as true literacy but I suggest that many people today would not be considered literate under overly restrictive standards.

Certainly the claim of 80%-90% illiteracy is unfounded and should be ignored.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I can see the reasoning behind that, but I don't agree with it. Should you decide that you do not want to carry a gun you thought you would carry and go out and buy another gun, the law would force you to go out and re-qualify and pay more money. The chances of an armed civilian ever needing to fire a shot in self defense is quite low still. However should you ever need to shoot in self defense, that is where its a good idea to know your gun and its capabilities as well as its limitations.

However like I said, the chances of ever firing a shot is very low.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    How about we require everyone to be responsible for all their actions? What ever happened to personal ownership?
    Each person already is responsible for his/her own actions, always.

Do you mean, how to we ensure each person acts responsibly? I do it because I understand right from wrong, chose to engage my brain via training, realized that I prefer freedom to choking down "3 squares a day" behind bars for some stupidity I engaged in as a youthful putz.

I believe that the simple threat of reality would be enough, on an individual basis, to motivate a person to take certain steps to help ensure responsible action was ingrained. Though, not all people exit their own homes with eyes wide open. "Can't legislate stupid" is the phrase that applies to these folks, and I'm sure it is largely true. Even for them, relatively untrained though they might be, the law helps ensure such people end up responsible for their own actions.

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    However like I said, the chances of ever firing a shot is very low.
    The average person's chances are "very low," yes, compared to other things, on the larger statistical basis, sure.

You never know how a given day is going to play out. Everything depends on circumstances, the person involved, the locations visited, the crime trends in the area, and whether it's blue moon Tuesday this week. Some folks manage a store; some work late; some come home from school alone; some walk in lonely parking lots; some go to parks near the treeline that can hide someone; some stop at rest stops on the highway; and so on.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; August 30th, 2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: updt link
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Those people will never carry...

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Your comment was that you needed no other permission to carry a firearm other than being a a citizen in 'good standing.' That is simply incorrect in most jurisdictions.

Wow. Just Wow. You actually believe this?
    Actually, that is not at all what I was insinuating. My point was that I believe I should not have any other requirement or permission to carry a weapon/firearm other than to be in good standing, which means not a convicted felon or murderer that has lost his rights under law.

I think it is my right to keep and bear arms. Bearing arms, in my opinion anyway, means to be able to carry one whenever and where ever I want.

The necessity of permits and licenses was simply a way for the state governments to illegally tax us, just like they do on most every other thing imaginable.

We shouldn't have to be licensed to carry a firearm when a firearm can be obtained and carried by a criminal with bad intentions who could end my life with a firearm or other weapon.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

VIP Member
    Since we ended up again comparing "magazine" sizes and we already been through this discussion before with the same results, this thread is now closed.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links