Wife is PISSED!!!!!! - Page 2

Wife is PISSED!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Wife is PISSED!!!!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So let me get this straight, your wife, who is the biological mother of the child, feels that you should not carry a tool with ...

View Poll Results: Wife says no to carry when with child!

Voters
546. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do I Honor Her Wishes?

27 4.95%
  • No, Protect Your Family And Carry

519 95.05%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife is PISSED!!!!!!

So let me get this straight, your wife, who is the biological mother of the child, feels that you should not carry a tool with you that may very well save the life of your child because it is too dangerous?

Is she OK with this same child riding in an automobile? Your daughter is much more likely to be injured or killed in a car wreck than by your gun.

Does this child take baths? She is much more likely to drown in the bath tub than to be injured by your gun.

Does she go to the doctor? She is much more likely to be injured by a negligent doctor or nurse giving her the wrong medication that she is to be injured by your gun.

Your wife is being irrational and you should do everything you can to explain it to her. But you should not back down from carrying the tool that may save your life, your child's life and the life of your wife.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Wasn't meant as a suggestion. Just a question and my opinion. Although I do agree on the approach, I do feel it important to state what a parents responsibility is and who then is responsible for the childrens and family's safety.

Quote Originally Posted by rwojcik View Post
    Wasn't meant as a suggestion. Just a question and my opinion. Although I do agree on the approach, I do feel it important to state what a parents responsibility is and who then is responsible for the childrens and family's safety.
    I agree with that. It seems this woman has irrational fears. He needs to find out why. I would bid she doesn't have good solid facts. I have carried for years. In my city...a small woman in EMS is subject to many threats. I have been armed since the late 80s. I have never had to use it, but have felt the security and freedom of being able to defend myself if needed....as well as my child....and now my grand child. I found out from my years as a street medic just how dangerous it can be if you are not prepared. She needs the education, but if he approaches it "Heavy Handed" it will not be good. I am just trying to find a way for his entire family to "win" this one.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I agree with that. It seems this woman has irrational fears. He needs to find out why. I would bid she doesn't have good solid facts. I have carried for years. In my city...a small woman in EMS is subject to many threats. I have been armed since the late 80s. I have never had to use it, but have felt the security and freedom of being able to defend myself if needed....as well as my child....and now my grand child. I found out from my years as a street medic just how dangerous it can be if you are not prepared. She needs the education, but if he approaches it "Heavy Handed" it will not be good. I am just trying to find a way for his entire family to "win" this one.
    I too have been exposed to many incidents or circumstances that might have had a different outcome if someone had the ability and will to make a difference. 20 yrs in fire service gives a realistic view of life.

DC Founder
    My wife understood that was even more important for me to carry when the kids are were us. They are all adults now so we rarely are all out together, but wife knows and understands that neither of us are protected if I leave my gun at home....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I too have been exposed to many incidents or circumstances that might have had a different outcome if someone had the ability and will to make a difference. 20 yrs in fire service gives a realistic view of life.
    It certainly does. I spent 15 years as a Paramedic/Firefighter in the "mean streets". That is the problem that people like his wife have...they haven't seen it. They probably don't read about it, because it is so unpleasant to them. They ignore it on the TV or change the channel. We know the facts, this woman doesn't. She needs to....for her good....for her child's good....for the good of the family unit.
    I am sure we have both seen the victims of this type of thinking and would like to see people "wise up".
    This is probably a issue he should have discussed with her years ago, but "Could have, Should have, Would have" will not solve the problem. Time for them to discuss it now...informed...frankly...in the world or reality. BUT with cool heads and reasonable discussion.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme Defender View Post
    She found out that i was carrying the other day while out with her and my 3.5 year old daughter. My wife has asked me not to carry when out with my daughter.

She freaked out today when finding my EMPTY holster still on my pants.

Bottom line she thinks it's too dangerous to carry with the little one in tow and I feel I should be able to protect them if danger arises.

So what to do?
    Honer her wishes?
    Carry anyway?

Brother, all I can say is this: 3-10 minutes is the average expected response time (often can be longer, depends on how they prioritize your specific call) for PD, not including the time to retreive/get to a phone and make the call. The response time of a shooter and bullet is 3-5 seconds.

Education is key with the little one. At that age, you have to be the responsible one and child-proof your home and firearms (gun safe!). When the little one gets close to it in curiosity, give that firm parental NO! Then educate the wife as to where you carry on your person, how to get it out of the holster, and how to shoot it...after all, she could be the one to save your life if you're the victim and can't respond for one reason or another.

When 911 just won't be fast enough, we carry.

My wife is the same way in many aspects. When she sees
    me carrying with the kids around she looks at me like I'm less of a man. "Why do you need that?". She thinks that because we have t needed it so far we never will and that I am just paranoid. I carry anyway.
    "I wish I would have done the hard things when they were easier to do."

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    My wife understood that was even more important for me to carry when the kids are were us. They are all adults now so we rarely are all out together, but wife knows and understands that neither of us are protected if I leave my gun at home....
    Did she ever ccw or even desired to? Have noticed a pattern of couples with either one will carry but usually not both... at least while together.

Did she ever ccw or even desired to? Have noticed a pattern of couples with either one will but carry but usually not both... at least while together.
    Hubby and I usually both carry. If it is in a dangerous area, we make sure we both carry. We have discussed our roles should incidents arise. We ARE a defensive team.
    Susan B. Anthony
    Robert Heinlein

Hubby and I usually both carry. If it is in a dangerous area, we make sure we both carry. We have discussed our roles should incidents arise. We ARE a defensive team.
    Sure wish my wife thought this way. She waits until an ugly situation poses a potential threat, then decides it's time to carry. I'd rather she carry everywhere she can, not just becuase it's her right (one she's paid for and I served to defend), but becuase she needs to understand that you'll fight like you train.

Moving off thread a little but it's good to know the roles and responsibility of each and it's always comforting knowing you share the same ideology.

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme Defender View Post
    Bottom line she thinks it's too dangerous to carry with the little one in tow ...
    She's incorrect.

If you've got the training and experience to show here, do so. If not, get that training and then show her. Ultimately, involve her in suitable training so that you can both operate as a much more effective team on this point, as it can make all the difference. Teamwork helps the team win, in the game of security.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffMRC View Post
    When she sees me carrying with the kids around she looks at me like I'm less of a man. "Why do you need that?".
    Because your family is the most important thing in your life, bar none.

Because if your kids didn't live long enough to be able to have families of their own, what's the point?

Because if by your life or death you could keep violent crime from touching them you would do it.

Because criminals don't publish a calendar of events beforehand.

Because having your children or wife raped or murdered because you were completely unable to respond is something you would never let happen, nor ever be able to live with.

Because crime can happen anytime, anywhere, to anyone. If this is doubted, check the newspaper clippings for the past year in the three larger urban newspapers nearest to where you live.

Because you love each and every member of your family sufficiently to do what's needed, even the unpleasant things, safely, to ensure they'll make it to adulthood.

Because if you didn't do all that you could as a parent to help keep your family safe, you would fail in your primary responsibility as a parent.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It sounds like your wife doesn't have a lot of confidence in you?

Good luck.

BTW: I didn't vote. Get rid of the wife wasn't an option.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Most things in a marriage/life are negotiable, but my role in protecting my famiy and myself is one thing that was/is/and always will be off the table.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Links