How Long Before You CC With a Bullet In the Chamber? - Page 4

How Long Before You CC With a Bullet In the Chamber?

This is a discussion on How Long Before You CC With a Bullet In the Chamber? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I started day one, with a Glock. The only safety rule I make big over beyond the norm is I always carry a handgun in ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    I started day one, with a Glock. The only safety rule I make big over beyond the norm is I always carry a handgun in a holster if chambered.

But as far as chambered or unchambered, start when it feels right for you. Carry consistently once you start to carry with one in the chamber. Don't go from day to day changing carry condition methods.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by skot View Post

I believe that if you are going to carry you should have one in the chamber. If you aren't comfortable with it then you should get more training, practice, etc. until you are comfortable enough to carry chambered.

Like was said many times before.. A unloaded gun is a hammer,..

I also wanted to ask this might seem simple but.
    After i start carrying a gun and Not a Paper weight (lol i totally understand this NOW!)
    do you reload or unload everyday or every few days to not hurt the mag springs or cause something like "Spring memory" ?

compared to loading the gun and doing nothing (which can't be good) and having problems when i need it most
    Be Safe Carry Often!
    Springfield XD 40
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    Being very familiar with your chosen handgun is a must, and you should train as often as you can. Be aware, if you end up carrying chambered on some occasions and unchambered on other occasions, you will eventually make a mistake.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Day one...that split second it takes to rack the slide might make a huge difference in the outcome when the SHTF.

Quote Originally Posted by iu2baiw View Post
    I also wanted to ask this might seem simple but.
    After i start carrying a gun and Not a Paper weight (lol i totally understand this NOW!)
    do you reload or unload everyday or every few days to not hurt the mag springs or cause something like "Spring memory" ?

compared to loading the gun and doing nothing (which can't be good) and having problems when i need it most
    Considering where you live you definitely need to carry with one in the chamber. In all seriousness, you first must feel comfortable in doing so. That comes with having total confidence with your weapons safety features. Above and beyond the 4 cardinal rules I am a firm believer that your carry weapon must always be holstered when not in use. Avoid holstering and reholstering. When you need to unholster your weapon for whatever reason take your time in reholstering. Can't think of an instance when one would be in a rush to get it back in a holster.

As far as spring memory ... I am sure others will have additional comments but from my experiance that should not be a problem. I misplaced a fully loaded mag for my Glock 19 over 8 years ago. Found it recently and went to the range and shot it as is. I then put another 150 rounds thru that mag just to see if I could get it to malfunction. No issues whatsoever.

Great Question

Welcome to the forum.

It took me about 3-4 weeks to get comfortable enough and from then on, it has been second nature.

It's like the Wally World Walk, for some people you feel like everyone is looking at you because you are carrying concealed or otherwise, but after awhile, you just go about your business as usual and hardly even think about it. You realize the sheep are oblivious to all that is happening around them and you begin to relax.

I empty the magazine of the rounds and load a different magazine about every 1-2 weeks. I guess to let the spring rest and also to clean out the magazine of any lint.

I once left some 9mm rounds in a 17 rd. magazine for several years and didn't think anything about it. The springs fatigued and the magazines did not feed properly. I had to purchase new Wolf springs.

I understand the new materials used in todays firearm magazine springs will not fatigue, but I still worry about it since it once happened to me.
    Last edited by CenCal; August 31st, 2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typo

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Day 1.

After Reading Everyones Replies i decided to Loaded the chamber because "Everyone's right" its justs like a hammer or dead weight and

if something happens i might not have the time to rack a rnd and save myself/family..and thats not a chance i'm willing to take.

This definitely OPENED my eyes .I'am NOW A ARMED CITIZEN!

Thank You
    Be Safe Carry Often!
    Springfield XD 40
    NRA Member

first CCW was with one in the chamber for most of the reasons already mentioned.

Get the 4 rules ingrained practice a lot with an empty gun (holtering, unholstering, bringing to firing position with finger indexed but not on the trigger) then keep training and practicing and be safe.

the only real safety is the one INSIDE your head.

I've always carried with one in the pipe. If it's not loaded, then my XD just became a $400 paper-weight...
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

I started chambering a round when I had to teach my wife (who is absolutely not interested in guns) what to do if the SHTF and it was up to her to operate the gun in self defense of herself or the family. I realized the stakes were just too high for anything more complicated than point and shoot.

The simplicity of the Glock is one of the main reasons I love it and why I chose it for my home defense handgun. It is a gun my untrained wife could use in an absolute emergency. Simple and reliable like a revolver but no ridiculous double action trigger pull and limited ammo capacity.

After I decided to leave it at home chambered is when I decided to carry with it chambered. After studying a number of typical ambush tacical scenarios there is no other choice than to keep a round chambered. The worry about accidental firing needs to be delt with by selecting the proper firearm and holster. I am extremely biased in favor of Glocks after dealing with several other types of pistols. Glocks dont fire unless you pull the trigger. Period. So make every effort to make sure that trigger cant be pulled unless it comes time to pull it. Failing on this point is a failure in keeping the 4 rules of gun safety. I just cant believe it when I hear of negligent discharges of firearms because people are putting them in the waistbands of sweatpants or dropping out of thier holsters in bathroom stalls and other avoidable nonsense

Get a Glock, get a holster with appropriate retention, get some training. Keep a round chambered, and be able to save you and/or your family's lives one day if the SHTF

Quote Originally Posted by skot View Post
    The only time I ever carried on an empty chamber was my very first trip in public with my CCW.

Me too. I was actually more concerned about printing than anything else. Kept looking in store windows to see if it could be seen.
    About half way through the day I realized how useless it would be if I had to draw and fire in a HEARTBEAT if something happened. I went into the bathroom of a truck stop and chambered it.

Jess
    I'm an artist, and if you give me a tuba I'll bring something out of it.
    - John Lennon

Distinguished Member
    One in the pipe as soon as I got a reliable holster

I started to at about a week into CC, since then chambered always.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links