How Long Before You CC With a Bullet In the Chamber?

This is a discussion on How Long Before You CC With a Bullet In the Chamber? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm New to CC (about a month) and Here ...Hello My question is how long before you loaded a rnd when you first started carrying ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How Long Before You CC With a Bullet In the Chamber?

I'm New to CC (about a month) and Here ...Hello

My question is how long before you loaded a rnd when you first started carrying ..?
    I have a XD 40 and if something happened i would have to load a rnd first..

Any advice?
    Be Safe Carry Often!
    Springfield XD 40
    NRA Member

Senior Moderator
    Since day one.

A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive club at best.

I'd like you to consider that you might not have both hands available if you ever needed to defend yourself with the pistol. You could be fending off an attack, pulling a loved one out of the line of attack, or even injured and unable to use one hand.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I think it was around 2-3 weeks for me.

Somewhere around that time I read a quote that said, "I'm too inexperienced to NOT carry a round in the chamber", meaning with the inexperience of a new shooter, one might not chamber correctly in a high-stress situation. That's a real possibility for a new shooter.

Since you have the XD, you can do a test a friend of mine did: he charged the gun on an empty cylinder, then carried it around for days doing all sorts of extreme physical activities. With the XD's striker indicator, he could tell the gun never fired. Then he started carrying with one in the chamber.

With your XD, once you decide to carry with one in the chamber, just take care to not press the grip safety when handling or holstering. Check out its operation at the range first, and once you ensure the grip safety works, use it as an additional safety measure by not pressing it unless you are ready to fire.

I wouldn't carry an empty chamber now. One might not have time to chamber, or one might not chamber correctly, if attacked suddenly.

Cool

When you are experienced enough to trust yourself with a lethal weapon.

Be One with the gun GRASSOPPER ; ) J/K Be carefull & safe!
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I started my journey with a round in the chamber. It never occured to me not to chamber a round. IMO, you might as well carry a hammer if you don't chamber a round, both will be as effective. Lots of people will argue that they don't lose any time chambering a round. I'd like to see them say the same thing while trying to block a thug with a knife with one hand and fumbling to chamber a round with the other. I've read enough stories about people having to draw and fire while fighting with a BG to convince me to carry chambered. If you aren't comfortable with it, try carrying it around unchambered for a while and see how many times the gun accidentally goes off in the hoslter. I'd bet quite a bit of money that your gun with not fire without you pulling the trigger. I carry my 1911 cocked and locked, but I'm starting to wonder if carrying it without the safety on would be even better, less to worry about. I'm 100% confident my gun will not fire by itself, just not 100% confident in myself to draw and fire without shooting myself in the leg.

The only time I ever carried on an empty chamber was my very first trip in public with my CCW.

I believe that if you are going to carry you should have one in the chamber. If you aren't comfortable with it then you should get more training, practice, etc. until you are comfortable enough to carry chambered.

Distinguished Member
    I my first CC pistol was a 1911 and from day one I carried it cock & locked. I would not carry one if I didn't feel comfortable carrying one in the chamber. I would just keep practicing until I felt confident and maybe get some training. There is nothing wrong with asking questions.

I had about 25 years of gun handling and shooting experience before Missouri passed CCW so I have carried with loaded chamber from day one. I was also an armed medic on a swat team for about 6 years before getting my civilian ccw permit.

If you train correctly from the start and have at least the 4 cardinal rules ingrained in your psyche, I don't see any reason why you can't start with round chambered from the get go. The problem with learning one way and try to do it a different way, you spend a lot of time breaking old or bad habits.

For the record, the 4 cardinal rules are:

1) All guns are always loaded! (Until you personally check to ensure otherwise)

2) Never point the muzzle at anything you are not willing to destroy!

3) Never put you finger on the trigger or inside the trigger guard until your gun is on a confirmed target and you are prepared to shoot!

4) Always be certain of your target and what is beyond it before you shoot! (Keep this in mind... Every bullet we let loose out the gun has a lawyer attached to it! As a good guy, we are responsible for where our bullets end up. Bad guys don't care where their bullets go, but you will be held accountable for any stray rounds.)

Abide by these 4 cardinal rules and you should not ever find your self the cause of a tragic death or injury.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Depends on you and your comfort level with the specific gun in that condition.

How good is your discipline with the "four rules" of gun safety? How competent are you with handling this pistol? Do you use a proper holster with a sufficient guard around the trigger? Are you competent during reholstering with one hand? Do you always keep your finger where it should be until ready to fire? If any of that is weak, then you might not yet be comfortable doing so.

Some guns lend themselves to insta-carry the moment you touch them, based on the safeties involved. Others take a bit of understanding in order to ensure you're completely safe with them. None should be handled without familiarity of the operation of the gun and its components, IMO.

Revolvers can generally be holstered and carried fully loaded with the cylinder completely loaded with rounds. But then, the holster holds the cylinder and keeps it from moving, and the act of reholstering is nearly impossible to result in an unintended discharge.

Pistols vary a bit, and they're different than revolvers. Some pistols have a variety of safeties that can help guard against an unintended discharge when reholstering, due to the trigger hanging up on something (your finger or clothing or the bit of leather from the sweat guard). A frame safety that keeps the trigger locked until you flick "off" the trigger can help with this. Grip safeties, such as the XD and 1911 pistols have, can help ensure that a tight grip on the frame is required in order to result in a discharge. And many pistols simply have no external safeties of any kind, in that you'll get a discharge if you simply pull the trigger (ie, Glock, CZ 75 based guns, most SIGs, Kahrs, etc).

In terms of desirability of having a gun without a round chambered, I too am of the opinion that it's merely a very short club if unchambered. It's only a firearm with the round in the chamber, and you may not get the result you want during a violent attack without a round chambered (ie, merely displaying the gun might not be sufficient). So, get comfortable via training on your handling skills, which will improve your competence.

For myself, I was comfortable day #1 with my revolvers; within hours of basic handling with my CZ P-01, Browning BDM, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW9, NAA Guardian 380, KelTec P3AT. I've been shooting an average of ~3-6K rounds annually since ~1993 or so, on a variety of guns. I always holster my carry gun in a custom-made holster for that gun, and I always practice draw/reholster for awhile with the unloaded gun prior to carrying.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I think it was around 2-3 weeks for me.

Somewhere around that time I read a quote that said, "I'm too inexperienced to NOT carry a round in the chamber", meaning with the inexperience of a new shooter, one might not chamber correctly in a high-stress situation. That's a real possibility for a new shooter.

Since you have the XD, you can do a test a friend of mine did: he charged the gun on an empty cylinder, then carried it around for days doing all sorts of extreme physical activities. With the XD's striker indicator, he could tell the gun never fired. Then he started carrying with one in the chamber.

With your XD, once you decide to carry with one in the chamber, just take care to not press the grip safety when handling or holstering. Check out its operation at the range first, and once you ensure the grip safety works, use it as an additional safety measure by not pressing it unless you are ready to fire.

I wouldn't carry an empty chamber now. One might not have time to chamber, or one might not chamber correctly, if attacked suddenly.
    It was about two weeks for me as well. I had been shooting trap for some time, and was comfortable around guns; however, I had never carried a pistol. Prior to that, everytime I would shoot, the round was chambered just prior to shooting, and the gun was always unloaded with the chamber open, when not on the firing line. I started carrying with the chamber empty, and after days of it not "firing", I became more comfortable with the idea of carrying with a round in the chamber. Now, I would never carry without one in the pipe. Think of it this was, police carry their pistol everyday at least 8 hours a day, sometimes they need to run and tackle a suspect, they get into some tussels, and sometimes engage in violent donut......er, I mean encounters, and their gun never "goes off". You'll feel comfortable over time, don't worry!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I was comfortable with a round in the chamber since I started carrying auto loading handguns.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    always keep a round in the chamber seconds count
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iu2baiw View Post
    I'm New to CC (about a month) and Here ...Hello

My question is how long before you loaded a rnd when you first started carrying ..?
    I have a XD 40 and if something happened i would have to load a rnd first..

Any advice?
    Since the first day... no point in carrying an empty weapon!

I'd say, until you're competent enough to carry your weapon loaded, don't carry it at all. There's more to CCW than hiding your gun and hitting your target.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

almost 3 months...then I was ready

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links