Question for 1911 guys - safety on or off? - Page 2

Question for 1911 guys - safety on or off?

This is a discussion on Question for 1911 guys - safety on or off? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Sight's M1911 .45 ACP Page The Conditions of Readiness: The legendary guru of the combat 1911, Jeff Cooper, came up with the "Condition" system ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    The Sight's M1911 .45 ACP Page

The Conditions of Readiness:

The legendary guru of the combat 1911, Jeff Cooper, came up with the "Condition" system to define the state of readiness of the 1911-pattern pistol. They are:

Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.

Condition 1 - Also known as "cocked and locked," means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety on the side of the frame is applied.

Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.

Condition 3 - The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun.

Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun.

The mode of readiness preferred by the experts is Condition One.

Generally speaking, Condition One offers the best balance of readiness and safety. Its biggest drawback is that it looks scary to people who don't understand the operation and safety features of the pistol.
    ----
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Safety on

My 1911 is ALWAYS cocked/locked with a chambered round, although the safety is ALWAYS engaged as well
    The 1911 has a very sensitive SA trigger in which a accidental discharge could happen very very easily. I use to carry Glock's and while there is no manual safety the trigger pull has to me more deliberate on a Glock, still not like our DAO Kahr but Glock does utilize that little trigger safety so the pull has to be quite direct unlike the 1911.
    Please never ever carry a 1911 cocked/locked without the manual safety engaged
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    What you need is a Para Ordnance LDA 1911. It is DAO and can be carried safely with the safety off or on a loaded chamber.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I carry cocked, round in chamber, safety on just as JMB intended for me to carry it (shrugs).

VIP Member
    Well I might as well make it unanimous. Round in the chamber, hammer cocked safety ON. That's how I carry my Taurus 1911 and how my Sig 1911 was carried.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Safety ON - no consideration for any other way.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

It would as dangerous as a cocked canon if you didn't have the safety on.

You will develop a natural instict to turn the safety off as you present the 1911 from low ready to extended ready. You tend to fight like you train.

I think I've finally proven the whole forum can agree on one thing!

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I don't usually carry a 1911, but my natural grip puts my right thumb on top of the thumb safety, pressing it into the off position. My thumb remains there while shooting, unless I need to engage the safety. This is how I shoot the gun, and a main reason that I like the 1911 design.

I guess my point is that I would carry the gun with the safety on.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I do drills, with an empty 1911 at home. Hubby timed me with the stopwatch, move to cover, draw, disengage saftey, present to imaginary target, 1.2 seconds.
    Safety on always, draw one handed, thumb up finger indexed above trigger guard, safety flipped off as I draw.
    I practice this drill at least twice a week, usually home alone, mainly to train muscle memory.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Cocked & locked.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Hubby timed me with the stopwatch, move to cover, draw, disengage saftey, present to imaginary target, 1.2 seconds.
    DANG! I ain't gonna mess with you Rugergirl!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j21blackjack View Post
    Spinning off the new chambered or not chambered thread.... Do any of you 1911 type guys carry with the safety off? I've been carrying a 1911 for almost a year, and always carry with the safety on. However, while reading some recent threads about carrying chambered, many folks have pointed out that fine muscle control is one of the first things to go in a high stress situation. So my question is, other than holstering, is it really dangerous to carry a 1911 with the safety off? I practise drawing a flipping the safety off in one motion, but I wouldn't want to forget it at the worst possible moment. Couldn't I just holster with it on, then flip it off after it is secured. Just seems like it fits with the argument to be as prepared as you can get because you never know what is going to happen if the time comes to defend your own life.
    The Kimber Custom TLE/RL II 5" I sometimes carry normally has a trigger pull between 4-5 lb. Mine is polished and is about 3 lb. This is a scary hair trigger. The safety is always on when chambered.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    When my Kimber comes out of the holster, the safety comes off without me even thinking about it...natural motion and part of the draw.

Empty your 1911 and draw and remove the safety 200 times a day, 10 days in a row, it will then be etched into your brain.
    +1

Muscle Memory is your friend, when you drive a stick you do not think about engaging the clutch, shifting into the location of the next gear, and disengaging the clutch to gain acceleration. Your hands and feet already know how, same with a 1911. For weapons handling training I use an Air soft version of a 1911, I can practice weapons retention, engage and release safety, and rack slide in total safety. Once your hands know to swipe down on the safety, you will not have to think about it. When the SHTF you will act the way you trained, the habits you build now will be the ones you use if bad things happen, likewise bad habits trained now will be bad habits when bad things happen. Carry with the safety on and practice swiping the safety as you draw the weapon.

UHC 1911 Black Spring Airsoft Gun
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links