Question for 1911 guys - safety on or off?

This is a discussion on Question for 1911 guys - safety on or off? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The thought of carrying a 1911 with one in the pipe but not having the safety engaged scares the heck out of me!...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Question for 1911 guys - safety on or off?

VIP Member
    The thought of carrying a 1911 with one in the pipe but not having the safety engaged scares the heck out of me!

2. Remove Ads

Safeties ON Please

Safety ON

Fine motor skills, are memorized by repeating it again and again until itís like driving a car or riding a motorcycle.

You donít even have to think about it, it just happens.

In an emergency situation, youíll do what youíre trained to do.

Quote Originally Posted by j21blackjack View Post
    many folks have pointed out that fine muscle control is one of the first things to go in a high stress situation.
    Safety on.
    I own a 1911 style Springfield EMP and while I like it a lot the
    safety is a big problem for me as well .I've carried a Glock too many
    years to switch and deal with this same issue.
    Thats why my EDC is a G26 and the EMP is a range gun only.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I wouldn't dream of carrying my 1911 without the safety on.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I had an instructor in a CHL class who said he wouldn't carry a 1911 pistol because he didn't think it offered enough safety. He then told the story behind his conclusion. He was a cop, and he got into a chase with a suspect. He had drawn his gun in condition one and released the thumb safety during the chase. He had cornered the suspect, pinned him to the ground, and with the gun crammed into the suspect's forehead, he realized his finger was on the trigger.

I suppose he wanted a gun that would allow him to disengage all the safety features and blatantly ignore two of the fundamental safety rules. I suppose he was right. He might not want to plan on using a 1911 pistol like that. Obviously, he missed the point and avoided the natural conclusion that he shouldn't ever use any gun like that.

For the OP, if the gun is cocked, the only thing keeping it from firing is the sear locked into the notch on the hammer. The trigger can release it, but so can failure modes. The thumb safety actually locks the sear in place. If the sear slips off the notch for any reason, locking the sear in place may allow it to catch the half notch position on the hammer, and I thought I read somewhere that it may also block the hammer from reaching the firing pin. It definitely keeps the trigger from releasing the sear too. Here are a few good pictures.

Carry it cocked and locked. If you're worried about that, at least carry a double action gun like a revolver.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by dldeuce View Post
    and I thought I read somewhere that it may also block the hammer from reaching the firing pin.
    It does, if the sear or hammer hooks should fail, the thumb safety will block the hammer (assuming the safety is in the "on" position).
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

OD*

It was designed to carry cocked and locked.....

The pistol WAS NOT originally designed to be carried cocked and locked by John Browning. People forget or don't know, that Browning designed the pistol solely for the US military and not the civilian market (Colt brought it to the civilian market), the pistol didn't even have a thumb safety when Browning delivered it for the Government trials. The US Calvary requested a safety of some sort be incorporated into the weapon system so that our mounted troopers would not have to let go of the reins to place the pistol into a safe condition, Colt designers and JMB came up with the thumb safety. The C&L option was originally intended to be used only until the trooper was dismounted and could safely place the weapon in Condition 3 carry as called for by the military. US Patent 984519.

John Browning's personal weapon.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

The main reason I wouldn't carry my 1911 with the safety disengaged is because of the short trigger pull. I think several people mentioned this and I believe it's one very good reason.

That rule is for THAT gun.

I also sometimes carry a CZ P-01 that has a decocker. With the long double action trigger pull in the decocked state, the absence of a thumb safety doesn't make me nervous.

"The only safety you need is the one between your ears."
    Never did like that quote. It may be the most important safety, but it should not be the only one.

BTW, by definition, a safety, "is a mechanical device that will eventually fail".
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dldeuce View Post
    For the OP, if the gun is cocked, the only thing keeping it from firing is the sear locked into the notch on the hammer. The trigger can release it, but so can failure modes. The thumb safety actually locks the sear in place. If the sear slips off the notch for any reason, locking the sear in place may allow it to catch the half notch position on the hammer, and I thought I read somewhere that it may also block the hammer from reaching the firing pin. It definitely keeps the trigger from releasing the sear too. Here are a few good pictures.
    Thanks, I just knew it worked well for the military for almost a hundred years, now I know why. Those pictures are worth at least 10+ pages to describe the safetys on a 1911.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

If Mr Browning tells me (through his manual) to use the safety, I will use the safety. They tell me (on here) that carrying on half-cock with a chambered round is NOT recommended. Thumb Safety can't be engaged unless hammer is back on the 1911, so the real question is whether to carry with a chambered round or not. I see no reason to not carry with a chambered round with the safety engaged. Kind of circular logic.

As the OP's question has been answered by a whole gaggle saying "cocked-n-locked", Id like to ask if 1911's fire without pulling the trigger?
    Many handguns have no safety and still never discharge without trigger pull.
    Thats what a holsters job is. If your procedure is to flip off safety while drawing then the safety is only for not discharging in your holster. How exactly does that happen? Im forced to assume that the robot group is split...something like 50/50 paranoid and the remainder just love to say C&L.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by surprise View Post
    As the OP's question has been answered by a whole gaggle saying "cocked-n-locked", Id like to ask if 1911's fire without pulling the trigger?
    Many handguns have no safety and still never discharge without trigger pull.
    Thats what a holsters job is. If your procedure is to flip off safety while drawing then the safety is only for not discharging in your holster. How exactly does that happen? Im forced to assume that the robot group is split...something like 50/50 paranoid and the remainder just love to say C&L.
    Once A 1911 is cocked and locked with the safety on and with a grip safety it is unlikely that the pistol will fire until the safety is Un-engaged. Never say never though. The safety could easily become dis-engaged by pulling from the holster. The holster itself will not offer protection. A 1911 is a without a doubt a very formidable weapon. As others have said Practice Practice and then practice some more. Shooting a great 1911 with a short trigge rand with little trigger pull action, normally 4-5 lb. can be quite an experience in itself and may take some time to get used to but worth it. There is no pistol I like better.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Safety ON.
    Practice: Draw, Aim, Thumb safety off, FIRE!
    Re-engage safety and re-holster, or reload.
    Continue until ammo is exhausted or until time for lunch!
    Itís so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

ďThe way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,Ē the Sheriff said.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links