Loss Prevention

This is a discussion on Loss Prevention within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ive never been made as of yet, but you know that is a good question. Makes me wonder about that as well...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Loss Prevention

Ive never been made as of yet, but you know that is a good question. Makes me wonder about that as well
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    a retail loss prevention officer can not randomly stop people and ask what they have under their clothing..it's illegal and leaves the store wide open for lawsuits...
    Wrong. He can stop and ask if he has a reason to believe you may be shoplifting. There is nothing unlawful about asking people questions. Can he use any force to restrain you? This I don't know about but in general I would think they would not; they try to intimidate you into compliance. But there is no reason not to step aside with him, show him your permit, and move on. No big deal.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faitmaker View Post
    I'm pretty confident that he meant "has a loss prevention officer ever mistaken your bulge for something shoplifted?" and not that they were looking for CCW people.
    Yep, that's what I meant.

shipwreck: Not worried, just curious.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I currently work loss prevention for a department store. The only time I look for any kind of weapon is if I'm watching someone who I suspect of shoplifting. Its written in my company policy that if I see a weapon I have to call PD and let the subject go if they leave before PD shows up.

Even if I get a report from another employee of someone with a gun (rare) I'll watch them for a few minutes until I decide they're acting normal or see a badge.

Edit: If I am making a stop of a shoplifter, I am allowed to use reasonable force to restrain someone and bring them back to my office.
    Last edited by Intrepid; September 1st, 2009 at 12:39 AM. Reason: More info.

Quote Originally Posted by Karter View Post
    Wrong. He can stop and ask if he has a reason to believe you may be shoplifting. There is nothing unlawful about asking people questions. Can he use any force to restrain you? This I don't know about but in general I would think they would not; they try to intimidate you into compliance. But there is no reason not to step aside with him, show him your permit, and move on. No big deal.
    Different states provide loss prevention with different levels of authority and the use of force. In most states, if you're shoplifting, they can use force to restrain you.

Again, this varies by state.

b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

I worked Wally World LP for over a year... never once was told to look out for weapons. It was usually "case the teens...they always steal" or "You need to catch 150 people this month"... The only code we had was for a hold up.
    If I didn't see the person pocket or pants the item...I couldn't legally stop them. If I lost sight of them while following them, I
    couldn't stop them... (we often did...and were told to not admit it)... If the camera lost sight...no stop, and if they pass the front sidewalk..no stop. The only time we were allowed to touch someone is if they resisted...

Now I can spot LP a mile away at almost any store... try going to a Marshalls or Ross....the LP has to wear a yellow vest with black letters "Loss Prevention". I've been stopped once (not carrying) by LP who saw me pocket something (my phone) and grabbed me as I left the store. He was soon unemployed after that. I even told him the WW policy on stops as he grabbed me and asked me to come to the office. When the District LP manager caught wind of a bad stop and the word lawsuit... he was let go. I didn't want him fired, just retrained.
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

A typical retail loss prevention officer is only allowed two bad stops before he / she is wrote up. The store is scared of possible law suits from you being detained by the store employee thus damaging your character. When a retail loss prevention officer stops you for being a shop lifter, they usually have video evidence of you stuffing material into your pants.
    BREATHE IN, BREATHE OUT; MOVE ON

I had a local deputy walk up out of nowhere and ask me if everything was “ok”.

I said sure, why?

He said “I just wanted to make sure you’re a happy shopper”, and then he pointed down.

Sure enough my jacket had come up and my 4 O’clock carry was completely exposed.

I adjusted my jacket to cover it up said “thanks” and went on shopping.

To answer your question, I do not expect store security to be looking for someone carrying.. Why would they. Just because someone is armed does not make them a threat, and as far as they know you’re an LEO, Fed or licensed citizen.

So I was wondering if anyone has been stopped by a store security type wanting to know what you had stuffed under your shirt.
    Can't be done, at least not in SC. To be stopped and searched, the loss prevention officer must have probable cause. He can not simply walk up to you and say, "What'cha hiding?" He should identify, to you, the item you concealed and where you concealed it. I know, I did it for 5 years.

I'd have to guess that most shoplifters stuff the "stuff" at the 12 o'clock position. Case in point...

This weekend I dropped off my wife and 1 child at the entrance of a local dept store (not WW), and went to park along the edge of the parking lot while child #2 napped in her seat.

3 teens pull up in a beat up sedan, thumping music, a few rows in front of me. All get out and head into the store. Thug-wannabes, I call them. Dressed in baggy pants, shirts, and cocked hats. As retsup99 puts it, if it looks like a duck... My SA alarm was beeping loudly at this point.

Anyway, they're in there about 10 minutes and exit empty handed. Well, not really. One had a VERY noticeable bulge in front, the other 2 it wasn't so obvious.

I took down the license plate and car description just in case. After talking with a friend of mine (local Detective), he confirmed what I suspected: Most big stores, even with security, won't confront the shoplifters, especially for piecemeal stealing. Usually corporate policy. They can ask the person to stop, and/or call the police, but otherwise hands are often tied.

What bugs me the most is that they KNOW they can get away with it, and typically do.

All that being said, I don't worry a bit about being made by anyone, mainly because of what I carry and how I conceal.

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    Edit: If I am making a stop of a shoplifter, I am allowed to use reasonable force to restrain someone and bring them back to my office.
    Oh really? What's "reasonable force"? You try that on the wrong person and you might just end up face down swallowing your own teeth.

My only noticeable bulge is my gut, and I've never been stopped and asked about it...
    The gun stays tight against the body.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by scotth View Post
    Oh really? What's "reasonable force"? You try that on the wrong person and you might just end up face down swallowing your own teeth.
    Where I worked, we handcuffed people, and went out in numbers. We took you back even when you didn't want to go.

Not sure why you have an attitude about this, though.

Not sure why you have an attitude about this, though.
    I agree. When I worked LP, we caught and detained the shoplifter - period. My boss was a county constable and carried a piece. I carried a sap (blackjack). We both carried handcuffs. We were empowered to use any force necessary to detain the suspect, just as LEOs are. We never went out into the parking lot at night alone. We had some tussles with suspects who didn't want to go back into the store, but we only let one get away in the 5 years I worked there.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Karter View Post
    I would suggest members reading up on your own states laws concering what LP can or cannot do. However unless you are stealing it is very unlikely you will ever have much interaction with LP.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links