Loss Prevention - Page 3

Loss Prevention

This is a discussion on Loss Prevention within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; LP asking someone what they have/what the bulge is.....is not illegal, its a simple question from a non-LEO if the person doesn't want to answer ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Loss Prevention

VIP Member
    LP asking someone what they have/what the bulge is.....is not illegal, its a simple question from a non-LEO
    if the person doesn't want to answer they can tell LP to pound sand

if LP has seen them in person or on video stuffing something in clothing causing the bulge then at the appropriate time (in Texas the person must actually go past the points of sale and out the door) they will confront the person to come with them for proper handling
    each state is different as to what citizens/LP can do to stop/prevent the consequences of theft

I have to deal with this almost daily, we get called to Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, Target, Best Buy, Kohl's, Sears, JC Penny, Dillards, Beall's, and other local stores for thefts all the time. None of the LP personnel are worried about spotting weapons....they are looking for people stuffing items in the pockets, purses, bags, and cutting open packages, etc.
    Hopyard likes this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by scotth View Post
    Oh really? What's "reasonable force"? You try that on the wrong person and you might just end up face down swallowing your own teeth.
    CRS 18-1-706 Use of physical force in defense of property:
    A person is justified in using reasonable and appropriate physical force upon another person when and to the extent that he reasonably believes it necessary to prevent what he reasonably believes to be an attempt by the other person to commit theft, criminal mischief, or criminal tampering involving property, but he may use deadly physical force under these circumstances only in defense of himself or another as described in section 18-1-704

By Colorado law if someone I'm stopping for shoplifting wants to fight with me, I will fight back until I get them into handcuffs.
    Last edited by Intrepid; September 2nd, 2009 at 03:09 AM. Reason: rewording

They literally have to observe you hiding the item before they can approach you and stop you,you also have to be heading out of the store to prove you weren't going to pay for the item
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    They literally have to observe you hiding the item before they can approach you and stop you,you also have to be heading out of the store to prove you weren't going to pay for the item
    Depends on the state :)
    B
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

i always love the "sir i have to check your recite" bs the the door greater gives when trying to leave WW

Quote Originally Posted by abjz71 View Post
    i always love the "sir i have to check your recite" bs the the door greater gives when trying to leave WW
    I have refused on a number of occasions since what I purchased is mine and I don't feel I need to prove it was mine. I always get the "we need to make sure our cashiers didn't forget to ring up something" or "it's for cashier training". Each time I hear it, I either remark "I'm not involved in your company training" or "If you don't trust your cashiers to do the job, maybe they shouldn't work for you. You should have someone watching them ring items up, not harass me".
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

As a *** moment, I'd start "reciting" the pledge of allegiance or something.
    Hopyard likes this.

Physically assault me for resisting a citizens' arrest, when I have done nothing wrong.
    It smells like a good retirement to me.

A sap is a deadly weapon and force can be used to prevent it use.

Depends. In SC, the LP officer had to let the suspect get out of the store first. That led to a LOT of parking lot chases. Ya can't just stop'em, ya gotta put your hands on'em or they'll rabbit on ya. That's been changed. Now, all the LP needs is the "concealment". They still have to identify the item.

I generally ignore the crack security team at the WW doors. One did manage to stop me and I made him go through every bag and check every item. They generally leave me alone now. At our WW, the rule is "it has to be in a WW bag". I've taped a bag to the top of a 50 pound package of dog food and waved at them as I walked past. I ignore it because it's a joke. It's not done consistently and it's done by untrained amateurs.

Just about anything can be classified as a "lethal weapon". At the time I worked LP, a sap wasn't in SC.

Beans, you're right. Once the suspect is seen concealing an item, you gotta watch them every second to make sure they don't get scared and lay it down. If you grab them and they aren't holding, it's your butt all the way.

ive actually have had them fallow me aaaaallllllll the way to the end of the parking lot for refusing to let them check my bags

ive actually have had them fallow me aaaaallllllll the way to the end of the parking lot for refusing to let them check my bags
    As I was driving away, I'd be sure to tell them that I hoped they enjoyed the exercise and fresh air...for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Knapper View Post
    They are also not very well trained, they are not LE.
    I've never been made, but I have made at least two people here in Florida that could have afforded a slightly larger tee shirt...

Jess
    Exaclty right about their training. I doubt half of them are as highly trained as your average CCWer.

Previously managed at a retail store with good security cameras. Quality of cameras was good, they could be rotated and zoomed in. LP never looked at your "bulges" unless they already suspected you of shoplifting. We seldom had LP walking around the store, they were using the cameras to keep track of the store.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

I'm pretty sure that Store Security isn't going to stop you for a bulge under your shirt,they have surveillance cameras and people watching and unless they physically see you conceal a store item under your clothing they are not going to risk a potential lawsuit over suspicion
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Biggest theft problem for retail stores is often their employees. I know of at least two department stores that hired agencies to catch shop lifters - they did, and employees were the big culprits. Once they were out of the picture, losses dropped way down.

Fitch
    mr.stuart and Hopyard like this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links