Loss Prevention

This is a discussion on Loss Prevention within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The five steps of loss prevention 1.Observe subject enter area 2.Observe subject select item 3.Observe subject conceal item 4.Maintain continuous uninterrupted surveillance 5.Wait for subject ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Loss Prevention

The five steps of loss prevention
    1.Observe subject enter area
    2.Observe subject select item
    3.Observe subject conceal item
    4.Maintain continuous uninterrupted surveillance
    5.Wait for subject to pass all points of purchase before making apprehension
    One more step and it's on!

2. Remove Ads

If you're stopped for whatever mistaken reason, simply ask if you are free to go or not. If someone says you are not free to go, insist on the police being called and call them yourself if possible. Stay in public view and refuse politely to go to any office or back room and wait for the police.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

The five steps of loss prevention
    1.Observe subject enter area
    2.Observe subject select item
    3.Observe subject conceal item
    4.Maintain continuous uninterrupted surveillance
    5.Wait for subject to pass all points of purchase before making apprehension
    This answer takes the cigar. Well done.

A few years back I was having a drink at a tavern and the fellow next to me turned out to be LP at a Dillards department store. We talked for a few hours about his job, and he explained how his video screens worked, how he had jogging and toggle switches that could follow any shopper about, handing the video off from camera to camera.

The process he explained to me is exactly what is quoted above. Remember, these guys do this stuff all day long, 40 hours or more a week. After a few months, they know what to look for. So who is the primary subject of interest, per "observe subject enter area"? I'll never forget his words:

Teenaged white girls.
    He said that if a couple of suburban Suzy Cream Cheese types come in, they zoom in and stay on 'em. They tend to hit cosmetics and accessories, looking to pilfer small things and they're usually fairly deft at it. Now, if you want to see crude, there's lots of YouTube videos of amateurs trying to stuff big-ticket items under their clothes, and sure that happens.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Here's an interesting story if you work loss prevention...

A Pasco County sheriff's spokesman says the 52-year-old man was brought to an office at the back of the store after being caught trying to shoplift items valued at $39.

While being questioned, police say he brandished a .22-caliber handgun and fired it at the doorway.

Two workers ran from the room, and then the man shot himself in the head.

Suspected thief kills himself at Kmart in Fla. *| ajc.com

WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    If you're stopped for whatever mistaken reason, simply ask if you are free to go or not. If someone says you are not free to go, insist on the police being called and call them yourself if possible. Stay in public view and refuse politely to go to any office or back room and wait for the police.
    if you are stop for what ever reason it is best to just go with them no frighting if you are being picked up for a wrong reason when you get in the office you will have time to fix it

"they have to see you doing it in order to pick you up so 9 out of 10 they got you on tape doing something"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't fit the profile of a shoplifter, and if you don't think security uses profiling, you're sadly mistaken.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    Where I worked, we handcuffed people, and went out in numbers. We took you back even when you didn't want to go.

Not sure why you have an attitude about this, though.
    Maybe because what you did was wrong? A Wally LP guy here almost got himself killed and did kill the
    guy he "brought back." Lucky it didn't go a lot worse and that he got no-billed too.

He did get quickly fired for his trouble.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abjz71 View Post
    i always love the "sir i have to check your recite" bs the the door greater gives when trying to leave WW
    That's not done where I live, and its not done at other Wally's I've been to. SAM'S club does check.

It is rather baffling to me that they seem more concerned with checking receipts at a fee-paid "membership"
    store--- but hey, it is what they do.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by listenup View Post
    if you are stop for what ever reason it is best to just go with them no frighting if you are being picked up for a wrong reason when you get in the office you will have time to fix it

"they have to see you doing it in order to pick you up so 9 out of 10 they got you on tape doing something"
    While it is going to vary by state law, never allow yourself to be taken from a public area. NEVER.
    Dial 911-- scream fire; whatever it takes. And this is triple true for women. I hate to say it, but to heck
    with the law. Don't allow yourself to be taken anywhere except by a uniformed real cop.
    mr.stuart and 91wm6 like this.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    Ok, as I was walking around wally world today, I began to wonder about retail stores security. I know the average sheeple doesn't notice that bulge under our slightly baggy shirts, but isn't it the loss prevention guys' job to look for stuff like that?

So I was wondering if anyone has been stopped by a store security type wanting to know what you had stuffed under your shirt.

How did (or would) you handle this?
    I was walking around wally world today, and a guy walks in with a huge puffy winter coat tugging at his waist band the entire time. Ordinarily it wouldn't attract any attention at all, except it is 60 degrees here today . He attracted a ton of attention including those that appeared to be security, but nobody approached him, they just kind of kept their eye on him. He appeared to be so worried that people might notice he was carrying that he didn't even notice them following him around. He walked back to the hunting section, turned around and left, without saying a word to anyone. All and all it was very entertaining!

All the Walmarts around have real cops (usually 2) working off duty security at the door plus the roaming LP types around the store. Walmart is one of the places that is on my "mandatory two gun" list, meaning that if I plan to go there I take two weapons, one on me and one in my center console. There is actually one Walmart that I went to three times over the course of about four months and, no joke, saw someone being arrested each time I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by listenup View Post

Ummm. No.

First I will assume that I am innocent, since I don't normally commit crimes. If I am innocent I would probably leave if stoppped and questioned. If some LP/Security guard or some such feels they can detain me, then there needs to be police present. Period. Especially if I am armed. I see you're from New Jersey (and welcome to DC) but what happenes if they discover that I am legally armed? I am in no circumstance surendering my pistol to someone, and to do otherwise is irresponsible. What if the worst case happens, and some guard asks what that bulge is under my coat and I say "my pistol" and they demand that I surender it to them? It has happened, and IIRC that person won a six figure lottery jackpot from maybe Best Buy? Circut City?

If "they" tell me they want to detain me, then that means I am suspected of commiting a crime. If that is what they suspect then the police should be on the way to arrest me anyway. If I haven't committed a crime, then there is some obvious misunderstanding and we can all wait peacefully and quietly in public until they show up. Then we can all go to review the security camera tape or I can empty my pockets or watever and prove what I already know.

I forget the original point of this long-dead topic anyway.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Ummm. No.

First I will assume that I am innocent, since I don't normally commit crimes. If I am innocent I would probably leave if stoppped and questioned. If some LP/Security guard or some such feels they can detain me, then there needs to be police present. Period. Especially if I am armed. I see you're from New Jersey (and welcome to DC) but what happenes if they discover that I am legally armed? I am in no circumstance surendering my pistol to someone, and to do otherwise is irresponsible. What if the worst case happens, and some guard asks what that bulge is under my coat and I say "my pistol" and they demand that I surender it to them? It has happened, and IIRC that person won a six figure lottery jackpot from maybe Best Buy? Circut City?

If "they" tell me they want to detain me, then that means I am suspected of commiting a crime. If that is what they suspect then the police should be on the way to arrest me anyway. If I haven't committed a crime, then there is some obvious misunderstanding and we can all wait peacefully and quietly in public until they show up. Then we can all go to review the security camera tape or I can empty my pockets or watever and prove what I already know.

I forget the original point of this long-dead topic anyway.
    Agreed, and I want to add that loss prevention types can often be less than upstanding citizens. That is a nice way of saying that it is a sh*tty low wage job that for the most part requires no talent or training/education at all. Think of a tow truck driver, minus the truck. Fat chance I'm going to be be disarmed by one of them.

Awesome. More mall ninja stories.

Seriously...if someone wants to ask, they can, but they'll probably be told a colostomy bag, or something else that isn't their business....it won't matter because I know it won't be their property.

ETA: Dang Frankenthread!!!! Aargh!
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnole View Post
    I have started to watch more for people CCing. I saw a guy that was printing today a WM. I just kept on walking...
    ????? A white male? A wide mile? A wee might? Is that a standard abbreviation? Help me out here.
    Last edited by Hoganbeg; February 24th, 2013 at 06:51 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links